Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Hmm, yes I see 6 AWG max on the Rivian EVSE hardwire. This is an issue as code (and common sense) requires the jump from 6AWG to 4AWG and even 3AWG for longer 60A runs (see https://learnmetrics.com/60-amp-wire-size/). I’m going to see if I can expand the wire holes in the EVSE, or worst case just trim some strands).
If you do what you are suggesting, you will void the UL listing for the device, and the warranty.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The inspectors around here like to see just a little of the insulation when you re-identify the wire.
Do you mean they like to see a bit of the original color or that they only want a little taped?
When installed by someone who knows how to bend it, I totally agree.
I've never messed with emt probably partially, at least, because I think I can anticipate how my bends would look. But Sched 40 PVC is a different matter. Heat it to 250 °F and it turns into spaghetti (cooked, that is) and you can conform it it any way you want. Plus it has memory so that when it cools it returns to its original circular cross section even if you kinked the hell out of it when "bending" it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Hmm, yes I see 6 AWG max on the Rivian EVSE hardwire. This is an issue as code (and common sense) requires the jump from 6AWG to 4AWG and even 3AWG for longer 60A runs (see https://learnmetrics.com/60-amp-wire-size/). I’m going to see if I can expand the wire holes in the EVSE, or worst case just trim some strands).
If you do what you are suggesting, you will void the UL listing for the device, and the warranty.
Splice. I like these (but they are rather dear)
(Pack of 4) Morris Products Black Insulated in-Line Splice Connector – 2-14 Wire Range, Slotted Allen Hex – 3.46”L x 0.82”W x 1.62”H –Pre-Filled, Easy Entry, Rubber Vinyl Coating, 2 Set Screws

Brand: Morris Products

4.7 out of 5 stars 155 ratings

| 18 answered questions

$66.17 ($16.54 / Count)

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Do you mean they like to see a bit of the original color or that they only want a little taped?
They want to see a little bit of the original color.

I've never messed with emt probably partially, at least, because I think I can anticipate how my bends would look. But Sched 40 PVC is a different matter. Heat it to 250 °F and it turns into spaghetti (cooked, that is) and you can conform it it any way you want. Plus it has memory so that when it cools it returns to its original circular cross section even if you kinked the hell out of it when "bending" it.
Bending EMT is an art form. PVC is easier, but takes up more space to get the same inside diameter. I like PVC to connect the panel to the service. That way I don't have to bond the conduit. How do you heat the PVC? Heat blanket, heat gun, BBQ grill?

I've seen photos of immersion heating, but you need a fluid that won't boil at 250 F plus a precise heat source. That's probably beyond most home owners.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
How do you heat the PVC?
I stumbled across an ad for a heater intended for use by artists who want to make sculptures out of PVC tubing. It consists of what looks like a length of MC but instead of conductors it has a heater inside. You slip the armored "cable" into the tubing you want to bend and then put a piece of fiberglass insulation of the sort you would put around a steam pipe (it is slit longitudinally) to retain the heat and plug it in. You rotate the PVC to uniformly distribute the heat (it can scorch if you don't do this) and check it with an IR thermometer from time to time. When it gets to 250 - 260 you pull it out of the sleeve and the heater aut of it and either install it right away or stick it in a jig that imposes the shape you want.

For smaller pieces I use a toaster/oven.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Sorry if this was covered and im not finding it -- but we cant get an electrician to the house for at least a couple of weeks with how backed up with work they are in our hm area, and I'm probably taking delivery within a few days. Can anyone educate me on how slowly an R1T would charge if I ran a 50ft NEMA cord from my clothes dryer outlet to my garage and then used a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter to connect with the NEMA portable cord that Rivian provides? Would this setup even work?
Thank you.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if this was covered and im not finding it -- but we cant get an electrician to the house for at least a couple of weeks with how backed up with work they are in our hm area, and I'm probably taking delivery within a few days. Can anyone educate me on how slowly an R1T would charge if I ran a 50ft NEMA cord from my clothes dryer outlet to my garage and then used a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter to connect with the NEMA portable cord that Rivian provides? Would this setup even work?
Thank you.
How much do you drive daily and how far is a DCFC charger from you?

The on board charger went in my Tesla a few months ago, took Tesla almost a month to get the appointment and part so my only option was the Superchargers. My wife drives about 50 miles a day so I was charging at the Superchargers for a month every 3 days or so. They are close to my house so not a big deal and with the range on the Rivian it certainly would be a doable interim solution if a DCFC is close by.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
How much do you drive daily and how far is a DCFC charger from you?

The on board charger went in my Tesla a few months ago, took Tesla almost a month to get the appointment and part so my only option was the Superchargers. My wife drives about 50 miles a day so I was charging at the Superchargers for a month every 3 days or so. They are close to my house so not a big deal and with the range on the Rivian it certainly would be a doable interim solution if a DCFC is close by.
Thanks. Most days drive about 30 to 40 miles. Longer on weekends. I will look into DCFCs nearby. So I'm assuming my janky setup would only give me a few miles per hour? But it's safe and wouldn't damage anything, right?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. Most days drive about 30 to 40 miles. Longer on weekends. I will look into DCFCs nearby. So I'm assuming my janky setup would only give me a few miles per hour? But it's safe and wouldn't damage anything, right?
It is probably a 30 amp circuit so you would limit it in the truck to 24 amps, that would probably get you 12 miles an hour and should be ok. I would just monitor the extension cord and plug to make sure they are not getting too hot.

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Any preference between solid or stranded thhn (6/3 Mc) 80 feet. Hardwired to 60a breaker?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'd say stranded No. 3 is miserable enough to work with and solid can only be worse.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
Any of the local houston folks willing to share the electrician they used? Lol

i have had 3 Chevy Volts over the years (have one currently that my rivian is replacing) and the only thing I had to do for them was plug into a 110v outlet. Eventually I wanted to be able to charge a little faster so I had a fella come out and run (I believe 50 amp but memory is weak) to a 220v outlet then bought a cheap 220v to 110v adaptor and was able to plug the colt charge into the adapter then direct into the outlet and my colt went from charging in 8 hours to charging in 2-3.

i know absolutely nothing when it comes to all the electrical jargon and I honestly thought I had more time to figure it all out but I got a text yesterday morning saying my truck that was supposed to be 6-8 weeks out, is ready for pickup this Thursday!! Now I’m nervous I won’t be able to charge the damn thing enough to actually commute to work and back!

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
PSA......For those of you with the Rivian Wall Charger who are wondering if you can access the internet via the ethernet connector located inside the charger cover, the answer is no. According to my guide, the ethernet connection is currently dormant as the software does not support it. It is intended for "future use". Currently the only option is via WiFi
Thank you for sharing this. Was just wondering this exact thing. (Garage is detached, made with 8" concrete walls, and the charger is going on the far outside wall of the garage away from the house. The garage has no WiFi or Ethernet at the moment, and I was hoping I could just pull my own Cat6 straight to the charger.) Too bad :/

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Does anyone know whether the soon-to-be signed new law (IRA) includes anything on renewing the federal tax credit for installation of home EVSE?

GR

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Just confirmed my order - my Rivian is a tight fit in garage and my wife’s SUV is current inhabitant of the garage. I’m thinking I may install the Rivian charger inside the garage and try to run the charger cable under the garage door and out to truck. Im planning to add about 1/2 inch seal to door and notch out for the cable to run under for charging truck in driveway.

Anyone done something similar? Any suggestions?
Sponsored