LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I spend way too much time watching this forum. Its a sickness I freely admit it. ?

Most threads seem to be 'stale' recently, so figured why not have one that members can just type-out their gripes, frustrations, angst-ridden sarcastic comments while we all "patiently" :)rolleyes:) wait for our Guidance-counselors coming in May.. (or June, July depending on lord knows what). Happy to start off:

What does Rivian really think it's gaining with this ultra-coy, fake openness about its R1 vehicles? I mean the Videos and Stories, and social-web postings are cool and have a "behind the scene" sort of vibe. In reality its mostly teasing, soft taunting and clever games. At this point I'd be happier with a typical OEM roll-out akin to Ford's Mach-E website (https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/). At a glance they both have the same Hollywood-esque splash, yet if you dig further there's plenty of technical specs and FAQs to satisfy one's interest. Heck at least the Colorizer represents the paints accurately and if that's not enough there are tons of photos of actual vehicles in every color available. Yes, I know the Mach-E is out already but this site is pretty much the same since the fall...... just like you-know who's.

Come on Rivian...... at least reveal the paints and interior flavors in "living-colors" ahead of being Guided come May. :angry:
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
At this point, we're close enough that I'm just going to wait for June and the YouTube videos to start popping up. I'm not going to have a chance at my delivery until Jan 2022, anyway (400 mile pack), so I'll wait 2.5-3 months and get ALL the info.

Honestly, the most difficult parts for me are (in no particular order):
  • Knowing that we won't get CarPlay is a MAJOR bummer for me. I anxiously await seeing this "amazing UI" that Rivian supposedly has. The problem is I feel they've set themselves up for failure on this front. If there is a SINGLE feature that CP would provide me that they haven't integrated in a way that is as-good or better, then they should have just supported CP, imo.
  • Most of the Rivian community seems nice, but there are a handful of truly awful people. I hope they drop their reservations and f-off. On most forums I only have to ignore one or two people, if any. But on the Rivian forums it seems like I've got half a dozen on each that I can't decide if they're functional idiots (I use "functional" in it's most flattering way, possible, here) or world-class trolls. And the Facebook groups are even worse. So many trolls and idiots. I swear, the next time some uneducated nitwit squawks "SPAC" at me... ugh.
  • The price. I've never spent THAT much on a vehicle, before. Even if I keep it 10 years, I question if the payback is there.
  • The competition. For 10+ years I've been begging for a compelling hybrid or electric truck. We've had nothing until this point. Ford finally released their Hybrid F-150 for 2021. I'm not a fan of Ford, so it's easy to ignore that knowing others are right around the corner.... But now do I take Rivian and get most of what I want for a LOT of money? Or do I wait for the Hummer EV and get almost every feature I want, except the "quirkiness", for even more money? Hard decisions.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
I spend way too much time watching this forum. Its a sickness I freely admit it. ?

Most threads seem to be 'stale' recently, so figured why not have one that members can just type-out their gripes, frustrations, angst-ridden sarcastic comments while we all "patiently" :)rolleyes:) wait for our Guidance-counselors coming in May.. (or June, July depending on lord knows what). Happy to start off:

What does Rivian really think it's gaining with this ultra-coy, fake openness about its R1 vehicles? I mean the Videos and Stories, and social-web postings are cool and have a "behind the scene" sort of vibe. In reality its mostly teasing, soft taunting and clever games. At this point I'd be happier with a typical OEM roll-out akin to Ford's Mach-E website (https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/). At a glance they both have the same Hollywood-esque splash, yet if you dig further there's plenty of technical specs and FAQs to satisfy one's interest. Heck at least the Colorizer represents the paints accurately and if that's not enough there are tons of photos of actual vehicles in every color available. Yes, I know the Mach-E is out already but this site is pretty much the same since the fall...... just like you-know who's.

Come on Rivian...... at least reveal the paints and interior flavors in "living-colors" ahead of being Guided come May. :angry:
While I agree with your frustration and addiction to hitting refresh here... 25% of me LOVES the Easter Eggs that is hardcore fans find. Call me a sadist.

Also thanks for starting this thread.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
In no particular order...
  1. Maybe carplay but I’ll hold my gripe till I see the infotainment.
  2. Lack of real world colors internal and external. This is like 50% of the configurator and we don’t know :swear: but Forest Green, Blue, Red, and some really nice wraps.
  3. Camp kitchen ugh. Real disappointment on $5k. At $2,500 maybe tops and it has to include dishes etc.
  4. Speaking of which, if this and the blacked out rims are any indicator of accessory add-on’s then BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I guess I’ll be looking 3rd party
  5. Tailgate
  6. Maybe my biggest and could be #1... I wish we heard 100s of RAN locations being built before June. I mean, I don’t know why they should wait for this.
  7. On that note, just partner with Wholefoods or Walmart and throw cash at this problem.
  8. Overall, I’m excited to see my baby. My sons already planning on my wife getting a RS1.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FWIW I had a chat with customer support the other day to let me know our frustrations and to tell them a vast majority of the people are really looking for charging data confirmed specs etc. I then was immediate disconnected by the representative Olivia lol. Im like sheesh lol.

I reconnected and told the new rep how I was disconnected by mistake and Olivia apologizes and thanks for the information with no follow up past that which is probably not her main fault.

Incredibly frustrating to say the least. I am just waiting for their big data dump (which I don't know if it will ever happen). I have a feel come may we will still be more or less at the same state of affairs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Using my own thread to "come clean".. The drought of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next paranoia .... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?

Last edited:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Using my own thread to "come clean".. The draught of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next fear.... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?

Sadly out of all of these I consider nothing on my radar as I need 7 passenger seating or well would prefer it for a few scenarios. The Model X Id consider the closest option except for price range.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I stopped by one of our companies projects and my buddy there has had a Cybertruk preorder since day 1. He told me he got so fed up with the crickets on teslas end that he cancelled the order last week. We think the minimal communication we get from Rivian is frustrating (it is) but think of the people that have put 250k down on the new roadster! Nothing from tesla other than maybe rocket boosters.

My frustrations are....

1. The lack of real customization on the configurator, I understand its meant to streamline the production process, but nothing on how much they are going to rake me over the coals for a pair of crossbars is disappointing.

2. It was hinted pre covid that if someone went with the 180kwh pack (Max Pack) there would be a few extras rolled into the package to incentivize it like extra lighting (maybe free cross bars *hint) or something along those lines, but each time I've asked support, I get "you get the battery, that's it" While they aren't that abrupt, it sums up that either they don't know, or there won't be any included extras.

3. Being this close to launch and still not really knowing the things that are finalized, which I assume are 99.9999% firmed up. It is a bit ridiculous the amount I've watched the same videos over and over trying to get some tidbit that was missed or not yet announced but shown in videos. While I like easter eggs, they shouldn't be the only way to get information on these vehicles.

4. The 180kwh pack being pushed into 2022 for the R1T kinda sucks, but not a deal breaker. but still...grrr.

The two that while they sucked to lose but didn't really break the deal for me were the tinting roof and the power tail gate. I think the direction they chose on both was the right one.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
1. No 180° drop for the tailgate making cargo bed entry and loading more difficult, requiring more room behind the vehicle, and eliminating any possibility of enjoying handy tailgate features such as foot pegs to aid entry and tailgate seats that are available in competitors' vehicles.
2. Elimination of the crossbar quick mounts from the cargo bed as this would have allowed transportation of bikes largely out of the wind.
3. Pushing back delivery of the 180kWh R1T until after the 135kWh.
4. Not offering the 180kWh in a Launch Edition.
5. Elimination of the 180kWh R1S (for now).
6. Elimination of the five seat variant to the R1S (for now).
7. No Apple Car Play. (It was never promised so I really can't complain.)
8. No lease option on a brand new product from a brand new manufacturer in a rapidly advancing technology segment.
9. No easy way to reach deep inside the frunk without placing your body against the car.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
1. No 180° drop for the tailgate making cargo bed entry and loading more difficult, requiring more room behind the vehicle, and eliminating any possibility of enjoying handy tailgate features such as foot pegs to aid entry and tailgate seats that are available in competitors' vehicles.
2. Elimination of the crossbar quick mounts from the cargo bed as this would have allowed transportation of bikes largely out of the wind.
3. Pushing back delivery of the 180kWh R1T until after the 135kWh.
4. Not offering the 180kWh in a Launch Edition.
5. Elimination of the 180kWh R1S (for now).
6. Elimination of the five seat variant to the R1S (for now).
7. No Apple Car Play. (It was never promised so I really can't complain.)
8. No lease option on a brand new product from a brand new manufacturer in a rapidly advancing technology segment.
9. No easy way to reach deep inside the frunk without placing your body against the car.
Actually, I understand the no lease option. Lease payments are designed to charge you for the portion of the vehicle you use during the lease. It is heavily dependent on the residual value once the lease is over. There is no history to get that calculation on a brand new vehicle from a brand new company.

I would venture to say, people would be more disappointed if they did an open end lease where they had a projected residual value but the leaser had to make up the delta at the end if the projection was too high and the actual value was much less.

Tesla started delivering the Model S in 2012 but I think the lease programs did not start until 2014. I would expect Rivian to offer them as well once they have the data to support it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Most of the Rivian community seems nice, but there are a handful of truly awful people. I hope they drop their reservations and f-off. On most forums I only have to ignore one or two people, if any. But on the Rivian forums it seems like I've got half a dozen on each that I can't decide if they're functional idiots (I use "functional" in it's most flattering way, possible, here) or world-class trolls. And the Facebook groups are even worse. So many trolls and idiots. I swear, the next time some uneducated nitwit squawks "SPAC" at me... ugh.
Not sure if you'll see this, but that's every group I've ever seen.

3. Being this close to launch and still not really knowing the things that are finalized, which I assume are 99.9999% firmed up. It is a bit ridiculous the amount I've watched the same videos over and over trying to get some tidbit that was missed or not yet announced but shown in videos. While I like easter eggs, they shouldn't be the only way to get information on these vehicles.
Amen, this is my #1 issue. If you know it, share it. Transparency first, and let people react how they may.

Easily my #1 engineering/design issue. This will prevent, or at least make very difficult, getting anything large or heavy in or out of the frunk. Why not have a frunking frunkgate?!?!?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would venture to say, people would be more disappointed if they did an open end lease where they had a projected residual value but the leaser had to make up the delta at the end if the projection was too high and the actual value was much less.
Indeed. Open-ended leases are also illegal in many states.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Easily my #1 engineering/design issue. This will prevent, or at least make very difficult, getting anything large or heavy in or out of the frunk. Why not have a frunking frunkgate?!?!?
Having the front "grill" hinged would solve that (I think that's what you're saying, too). Although this is another "issue" that may be a nothing-burger once we are able to see/touch the vehicles.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Yes I agree, getting a Yeti cooler full of ice and water out would be a tough removal without help or at least scratching the edges of the paint on the way out. I’ll admit I like what Bollinger did with the front hinged area....

Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" 4C716878-00F9-4350-BB8E-F88584766A8E
Sponsored