First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m more concerned about the functionality of the controls on the steering wheel. It looks like they went with a scroll wheel (up/down) that you nudge side to side (left/right) and press in (select). With this setup I’ve accidentally moved the scroll wheel while nudging or pressing in, I’ve accidentally pressed in while scrolling or nudging, and I’ve accidentally nudged while scrolling or pressing in.

Maybe I’m less coordinated than the average person, but this interface is very frustrating to me, especially in a moving vehicle. I find a setup with four directional arrow buttons and select button in the center to be much easier to use.
I agree, Tesla uses a scroll and press and it is difficult when driving to use it. Works great when stationary but with jostling around while driving not the optimal choice.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I don't mind the toggle wheels, but as was just pointed out, they're much easier when the vehicle is stationary. Not so much when under way.

If only we could see, touch, and drive these things, all of these kinds of questions will be answered. We're now 130 hours into the month of May, my phone is still fully charged, and I'm still waiting for that call!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I’m more concerned about the functionality of the controls on the steering wheel. It looks like they went with a scroll wheel (up/down) that you nudge side to side (left/right) and press in (select). With this setup I’ve accidentally moved the scroll wheel while nudging or pressing in, I’ve accidentally pressed in while scrolling or nudging, and I’ve accidentally nudged while scrolling or pressing in.

Maybe I’m less coordinated than the average person, but this interface is very frustrating to me, especially in a moving vehicle. I find a setup with four directional arrow buttons and select button in the center to be much easier to use.
Valid concerns, and I've had similar issues, in the past.

I like the controls Mercedes uses where the buttons have optical sensors in them (similar to the last of the BlackBerry phones, before they went out of vogue). You still have the D-Pad style action but they work better as buttons and it's less likely they do something other than what you intend.

SunnySpot

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C82T
Sorry if this has been discussed, but was Rivian smart and put the steering wheel audio controls on the left side of the wheel as opposed to the right, which is closer to the display?

I hope left side, serious pet peeve of other vehicles.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry if this has been discussed, but was Rivian smart and put the steering wheel audio controls on the left side of the wheel as opposed to the right, which is closer to the display?

I hope note. lol.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Totally guessing here, but I'd guess that they did. It's pretty clear they share a lot of design ethos with and likely take direct inspiration from the Model 3/Y, judging by specific cues like the touchscreen-controlled vents, minimal physical controls, Gear Guard, and the specific functions of the multifunction wheel controls.

Especially given the likely high overlap with their customers and Tesla owners (just look around these forums), they'd be crazy not to capitalize on muscle memory where appropriate.

SunnySpot

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C82T
Totally guessing here, but I'd guess that they did. It's pretty clear they share a lot of design ethos with and likely take direct inspiration from the Model 3/Y, judging by specific cues like the touchscreen-controlled vents, minimal physical controls, Gear Guard, and the specific functions of the multifunction wheel controls.

Especially given the likely high overlap with their customers and Tesla owners (just look around these forums), they'd be crazy not to capitalize on muscle memory where appropriate.
Be even better if the left/right side roller/buttons were user defined as to which side controlled what. Even if just RH vs LH option.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
My bitch and moan items. From what I can tell, the app will NOT allow me to pre-cool or pre-heat my R1S. That is basic and pretty crappy if Rivian does not deliver this feature. Gripe #2. As someone that's had multiple HUD's, Rivian, ilke Tesla does not see the value in putting a HUD unit in their vehicles. Yet for L3+ autonomous driving I have to keep my hands near the steering wheel for safety purposes. Wouldn't it be safer to keep my eyes on the road, and while I'm looking out at the road, have a display that projects all of the vital info needed? Audi offers it. BMW offers it, Hell my old Vette's had HUD units. Wouldn't it be safer to have a HUD unit?
Third gripe, Most of the free world has either an Iphone or Android phone. Why can't RIvian provide Car play and Android auto. Is RJ fighting with Tim cook like Musk is?

Last but not least, wouldn't it be nice if Rivian actually communicated more with their launch edition customers? I made the commitment to be a Rivian beta tester, so why not offer me info on things. Instead, I get to watch Long Road home and be teased by Rivian' (albeit prototypes) in the wild. Also, on the MT article, when will Rivian offer ME a support vehicle for my daily drives??? LOL on that one.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
From what I can tell, the app will NOT allow me to pre-cool or pre-heat my R1S.
We don't know if this is confirmed yet, as the app isn't here yet. I would be really surprised if you couldn't control the heat from the app.

et for L3+ autonomous driving I have to keep my hands near the steering wheel for safety purposes.
The Driver+ is L2 and completely hands-free on the highway.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
The Driver+ is L2 and completely hands-free on the highway.
What about curves where you’d normally have to slow down? Will it adjust speed for those?

Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Not seeing the blindspot monitoring in the mirrors like I would have preferred from the MT videos.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What about curves where you’d normally have to slow down? Will it adjust speed for those?
You slow down for curves? I generally try to double the number on them little yellow signs.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You slow down for curves? I generally try to double the number on them little yellow signs.
I tend to slow down when doubling the yellow number is half my current speed. This pretty much only occurs with my Ducati. Haven't lived and ridden in many parts of the West, Oregon has a couple of notable oddities with their curve speed signs:
  • Unlike most States, a section of raod with a bunch of 20 and 25 mph corners (even for several miles) will often not result in a drop of the actual speed limit from 55 or so. This is a good thing.
  • The 25 mph (or whatever) sign is often referring to the second or third curve from where it is posted :oops:. This is not such a good thing and has a time or two resulted in me dipping far into my lean angle buffer and elevated my heart rate a bit.
Sponsored