First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I now think of my Rivian reservation as a roller coaster ride, many ups and downs. I own my vehicles for a long time and have been driving a 2008 GMC Sierra and started thinking about upgrading it back in 2019. I already had owned a Volt and a Bolt, and liked electric vehicles, but there were no electric choices in trucks. Then I found out about Rivian, decided to reserve an R1T (May 2019) and also decided I would fully load it up with all options (inlcuding the kitchen sink) and have that vehicle well into my retirement (coming in a couple of years). I did not care about having to wait for it, that just meant more time to save the money in order to pay cash for it.

Then back in Oct 2020, the Hummer was revealed, that was quite the vehicle, way better than CT or Rivian, so I made a deposit, thinking that I would see which one I could get first, Rivan or Hummer. I was unable to get an Edition 1 reserved, only wait listed, so it appeared Rivian would definitley win out easily on the delivery schedule.

Then the configurator came out in Nov 2020, without the Max Pack, nor any roof options. I decided then I did not want to settle for an LE. I really wanted the Max Pack and removable roof like the Hummer has. Now the wait is until at least mid 2022, Hummer resevation is likely late 2022 or early 2023. Meanwhile, GM announced I will be able to get all the options on my Hummer to upgrade it to the Edition 1 equivalent, even if I cannot get it in the first year.

So, on Monday I went into the configurator and completely changed my Rivian reservation to an R1S Explorer package, hoping to now get it early 2022. I will drive that until the Hummer comes and then my wife will get the R1S. So we will end up with a nice electric SUV, and a very nice electric off-road beast.
Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Using my own thread to "come clean".. The drought of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next paranoia .... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?
I too am thinking about the F150 hybrid. And holding off for the same reasons. The Rivian size seems more maneuverable in tight city spaces.

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
I saw the R1T in Arizona a year ago and many of the design compromises since then will adversely affect my day-to-day use of the vehicle. Tank turns and racing through the desert make good photo ops but will see little, if any, use from me whereas the tailgate, cargo bed, and frunk will be used daily. I think the absence of the 180 degree tailgate represents the greatest loss as it requires more space behind the vehicle to load, necessitates a greater reach-over, and makes getting into and out of the bed more difficult. Removing the crossbar quick connects from the cargo bed has me at a loss. Now bikes will have to be carried on a hitch rack, placed on a tailgate pad (not suitable for most road bikes), or mounted on the elevated crossbars exposing them to the wind (greatly decreasing milage) and elements such as low hanging branches. Accessing the depths of the deep frunk is not simply about lifting heavy objects. Just try reaching small, light objects off the floor without leaning against trail dust covered sheet metal. This will be especially problematic for shorter individuals. Providing a "frontgate" along the line of the Bollinger or, better still, a descending hood like the Hummer would be ideal solutions but also involve significant engineering and could affect crash worthiness. Of course we can anticipate that all these issues and so many others will be resolved on future models (Rivian and otherwise) which is why I anticipate turning over my vehicles more rapidly than in the past. It's no longer about minor, year-over-year cosmetic changes but about fundamental issues of range, safety, self-driving, usability, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" 102120_8b

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I spend way too much time watching this forum. Its a sickness I freely admit it. ?

Most threads seem to be 'stale' recently, so figured why not have one that members can just type-out their gripes, frustrations, angst-ridden sarcastic comments while we all "patiently" :)rolleyes:) wait for our Guidance-counselors coming in May.. (or June, July depending on lord knows what). Happy to start off:

What does Rivian really think it's gaining with this ultra-coy, fake openness about its R1 vehicles? I mean the Videos and Stories, and social-web postings are cool and have a "behind the scene" sort of vibe. In reality its mostly teasing, soft taunting and clever games. At this point I'd be happier with a typical OEM roll-out akin to Ford's Mach-E website (https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/). At a glance they both have the same Hollywood-esque splash, yet if you dig further there's plenty of technical specs and FAQs to satisfy one's interest. Heck at least the Colorizer represents the paints accurately and if that's not enough there are tons of photos of actual vehicles in every color available. Yes, I know the Mach-E is out already but this site is pretty much the same since the fall...... just like you-know who's.

Come on Rivian...... at least reveal the paints and interior flavors in "living-colors" ahead of being Guided come May. :angry:
LoneStar,

I hope you find solace in knowing that you are not alone in your suffering. Clearly, you have fellow Riviots here who also get great joy, although little relief, by incessantly hitting the refresh button. I know I feel your pain. I can't even begin to describe the rush of endorphins I receive when something new actually does pop up on my screen or feed. It's rare, but man, is it worth it! "Niriviana" is how I've explained it to my medical team. They appeared to like it, based on the frenzy of note-taking I witnessed.

It doesn't matter how trivial or cute or informative a newly-arrived snippet or comment may be, because it's usually very satisfying. Sadly, though, it only serves to make me work harder for that next hit. I tell myself "Maybe if I scroll through the threads I have yet to read again for the fortieth time this week, I'll find something I may not have caught in the thirty-nine prior dissections". Then, with the realization that the odd glow in the Eastern sky is the impending Sunrise, impending doom sets in when I grasp the fact that another night's sleep was ruined by my futile compulsion.

Luckily, I can rationalize my behavior by regularly telling myself "It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit". My team of doctors must be able to hear that voice, as they've been pushing for me to get into a rehabilitation program. "REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS!!!" I tell them! They appear to like this observation as well, again, based on the frenzy of note-taking I witness.

Now, back to the Forum....

Be at peace?‍♂

Last edited:

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
1. No 180° drop for the tailgate making cargo bed entry and loading more difficult, requiring more room behind the vehicle, and eliminating any possibility of enjoying handy tailgate features such as foot pegs to aid entry and tailgate seats that are available in competitors' vehicles.
2. Elimination of the crossbar quick mounts from the cargo bed as this would have allowed transportation of bikes largely out of the wind.
3. Pushing back delivery of the 180kWh R1T until after the 135kWh.
4. Not offering the 180kWh in a Launch Edition.
5. Elimination of the 180kWh R1S (for now).
6. Elimination of the five seat variant to the R1S (for now).
7. No Apple Car Play. (It was never promised so I really can't complain.)
8. No lease option on a brand new product from a brand new manufacturer in a rapidly advancing technology segment.
9. No easy way to reach deep inside the frunk without placing your body against the car.
As for number 9, it's pretty obvious that this is not a negative. The R1T is a big teddy bear and RJ wants you to give it a hug every time you load up the groceries. ? In any case, after all the anxiety and waiting we have suffered to get some information on the Rivians, just walking up to the car and opening a powered frunk will let us breathe a sigh of relief. Surely, everyone's medical team will appreciate that.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Using my own thread to "come clean".. The drought of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next paranoia .... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?
There is one vehicle, missing from your list, better than all the above at adventure. It's also only $45k after incentives, give or take.

The Jeep Wrangler rubicon 4xe, which has 25-30 miles of EV range, plenty of power, and solid axles with fox shocks that will leave any of the aforementioned including Rivian in the dust once you're on the tough stuff (or just simply overloading, plus you don't have any range anxiety.) I have a r1t LE on order, and as excited as I am for the power, excitement, torque vectoring, etc, but I'm seriously considering a 4xe instead, and wait to see what Rivian does with that larger battery, and what becomes of the cybertruck.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I too am thinking about the F150 hybrid. And holding off for the same reasons. The Rivian size seems more maneuverable in tight city spaces.
The HUGE issue I have with the f150 hybrid, is its even more of a copout than the original Prius was. What could have been amazing as an 18kwh+ plug in hybrid, instead can't go but a football field on electric because of the sub 2kwh battery. The new jeep 4xe powertrain would go great in an f150: small turbo 4 cylinder for decent highway mpg but plenty of power to get up to speed. Thing is, you need a decently sized battery pack (which the f150 hybrid lacks) to make any difference while going up grades, to assist having a smaller gasoline engine if towing a heavy load.

PHEV's aren't given enough credit, they are an excellent stop gap measure to range anxiety, road trips, etc while making vehicles much quicker with smaller engines. I've owned 3 volts, a Prius, and a clarity phev, so I'm knee deep in charging vs distance driving and its great to be able to go on a 2,000 mile road trip without worrying about charging, after driving 6 months without using a single drop of gas.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Curious what Toyota's going to do with the redesigned Tundra. Lots of chatter about a "hybrid powertrain". Who knows, maybe they go with a more meaningful battery pack.

Then there's the upcoming electric F-150. That could be a game-changer. Ford has proven with the Mach-e it can do an electrified vehicle from scratch. The MME is getting lots of good press about actually achieving the claimed driving miles per charge. If Ford can give the F-150e a range of 250-300 actual miles (at least in a base unit) for a price around $65k they will have a winner.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Removing the crossbar quick connects from the cargo bed has me at a loss. Now bikes will have to be carried on a hitch rack, placed on a tailgate pad (not suitable for most road bikes), or mounted on the elevated crossbars exposing them to the wind (greatly decreasing milage) and elements such as low hanging branches.
I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of mounting the bikes in the bed with the tailgate down. If you watch the latest video Rivian posted about the Guides, you can clearly see an R1T with 4 bikes in the bed. It is right at the beginning of the video from the 00:03-00:05 mark.

Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" 1616069880773

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of mounting the bikes in the bed with the tailgate down. If you watch the latest video Rivian posted about the Guides, you can clearly see an R1T with 4 bikes in the bed. It is right at the beginning of the video from the 00:03-00:05 mark.

1616069880773.png
This is an opportunity for Rivian to introduce some new accessories. For example, I've seen some bike carriers that attach to the front of the bed and give you a place to attach your front fork.

I'm surprised Rivian doesn't include any "rail" system like the Tacoma/Frontier have.

Sponsored

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
As for number 9, it's pretty obvious that this is not a negative. The R1T is a big teddy bear and RJ wants you to give it a hug every time you load up the groceries. ? In any case, after all the anxiety and waiting we have suffered to get some information on the Rivians, just walking up to the car and opening a powered frunk will let us breathe a sigh of relief. Surely, everyone's medical team will appreciate that.
1. No 180° drop for the tailgate making cargo bed entry and loading more difficult, requiring more room behind the vehicle, and eliminating any possibility of enjoying handy tailgate features such as foot pegs to aid entry and tailgate seats that are available in competitors' vehicles.
2. Elimination of the crossbar quick mounts from the cargo bed as this would have allowed transportation of bikes largely out of the wind.
3. Pushing back delivery of the 180kWh R1T until after the 135kWh.
4. Not offering the 180kWh in a Launch Edition.
5. Elimination of the 180kWh R1S (for now).
6. Elimination of the five seat variant to the R1S (for now).
7. No Apple Car Play. (It was never promised so I really can't complain.)
8. No lease option on a brand new product from a brand new manufacturer in a rapidly advancing technology segment.
9. No easy way to reach deep inside the frunk without placing your body against the car.
Where does it say no cross bars in the bed? What happened to rail system tent in the bed of the R1T?????

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Where does it say no cross bars in the bed? What happened to rail system tent in the bed of the R1T?????
Still on the bed rails, just not down inside the bed any longer.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Still on the bed rails, just not down inside the bed any longer.
Oh okay, I got it. Interesting. Also interesting is the new Tail Edition Tacoma bedside-mounted lockable bed storage compartments. What are all your thoughts about the Tacoma vs R1T at 1/2 the cost? Obviously you lose the luxury of the R1T interior but for size of trucks/cost...Its something to think about.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian originally planned (and demo'd) six crossbar attachment points. Two on the roof, two on the bed rails (above the tonneau), and two on the bed floor (under the tonneau).

The two crossbar attachment points on the bed floor have been removed.

You should still be able to do the tent-base because that uses the attachment points on the bed rails.
Sponsored