SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I have made a permanent manual tonneau That is a fraction of the cost and I believe more durable than what is offered by Rivian. I had my local metal shop make 5 panels with black 0.04 aluminum in the shape of channels. 4 10.5 x 0.5 x54.5 " OD channels and 1 10 5/8 x 0.5 x 54.5 " OD channel. These were supported by 1/2 x 1/2 x 54.5 " square aluminum rods that were placed in each inside corner of the channels and were then riveted with pop rivets at the side of the channels. These panels were separated by "Auto & Marine Rubber Weatherseal". I used 2 straps connected to the forward panel to pull them out and velcro'd the straps to the underside of the panels to keep them out of the way. All total, the cost was less than $700. It is waterproof except for at the gate and secure when the gate is locked.

20230806_154858[1].jpg

20230803_103912[1].jpg

20230803_103921[1].jpg

20230806_154924[1].jpg
Please Xeet (wtf?!) your resume to RJ care of the Tonneau Cover Team at Rivian immediately!

Well done sir!

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
Always good to see different DIY solutions. Great Job :clap:

Kurt44

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Max Pack 2023
Clubs

Thank you for sharing!
Does your set up push together "water tight" when the tail gate closes. I saw a video where Rivian's Chief Designer did a demo of the "new" manual cover and claimed once the gate is closed it pushes all panels together very tight.
Would the shop you used be willing to sell measurements and process? I am in Seattle and currently have a delivery window of Oct - Dec (with Max Pack) I am seriously thinking of dropping the manual cover. Since Boeing is here there are a lot of machine shops and I suspect I could find one willing to do the work.

Sponsored

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
I got my aftermarket one from Interrobang Automotive. It's a real nice tonneau cover. I'm very impressed with the quality and fit. Looks just as good and truthfully feels more solid than the one that was on my original R1T. (new one didn't come with one.)

OP
OP

Dutch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Thank you for sharing!
Does your set up push together "water tight" when the tail gate closes. I saw a video where Rivian's Chief Designer did a demo of the "new" manual cover and claimed once the gate is closed it pushes all panels together very tight.
Would the shop you used be willing to sell measurements and process? I am in Seattle and currently have a delivery window of Oct - Dec (with Max Pack) I am seriously thinking of dropping the manual cover. Since Boeing is here there are a lot of machine shops and I suspect I could find one willing to do the work.
It is water tight when tail gate is shut I gave the measurements in the original post. The metal shop should know what to do. Have them look at the photos.

Rarrrvian

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

This is easily the best option I've seen yet and I've been searching for months. Just reached out to a local shop to see if they can help with this. Thank you for sharing!

Edit - reached out to a few places nearby and have received simple "no, we don't do that", no response at all, or outrageous prices for the sheet metal alone. Unfortunately, looks like a no go for me.

Last edited:

Kurt44

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Max Pack 2023
Clubs

Hello Dutch
I have saved this post so I could reach out when ready. would the shop you used be interested in creating the same for my R1T? Would you mind share the name and number I can call myself.
Thank you
Kurt

OP
OP

Dutch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Hello Dutch
I have saved this post so I could reach out when ready. would the shop you used be interested in creating the same for my R1T? Would you mind share the name and number I can call myself.
Thank you
Kurt
I am not sure they could help you as it was my design and I had them prepare the panels to my specs, they never saw the finished product so I doubt they fully understood what it was for. I used a local outfit named All Metals Welding and Fab Co. Any sheet metal fabrication shop should do.

Sponsored

Kurt44

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Max Pack 2023
Clubs

Thank you, I will check out some places here in the Seattle area.

OP
OP

Dutch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Thank you, I will check out some places here in the Seattle area.
BTW I added end caps for the panel next to the gate as it would occasionally catch and keep the gate from closing. See attached pic. I used Gorilla Glue to attach it.

Rivian R1T R1S Aluminum DIY Tonneau 20240307_134713

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
That's a great idea and design, Very nice!

What do you think the split between time and materials was?

I feel like if you just had the shop Cut the panels and bar stock, then put the 90* bend in each of the panels on their brake.

The rest of it is pretty DIY with simple hand tools and save some more money.

OP
OP

Dutch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I didn't pay attention to the time. You definitely save on cost. Drilling holes for the pop rivets will take a little time. I used my drill press of which I made a jig that made it go faster.
Sponsored