Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Lately, I have noticed increased uptake for new EVs from these makes/models.

- EQS
- EQS SUV
- F150 Lightning
- Lucid Air
- ID.4

When new models come out, people in SoCal are quick to uptake the vehicles.

Early days, we had seen many of Rivians but lately, the frequency of Rivian's on the road has not increased. Neither have Tycans, e-Trons (all variants, including GT), or Model S/X Plaid models.

What I see the most is EQS and EQS SUV increasing on the road significantly.

Nothing scientific but it's not a good indication to see little to no increase of R1 on the roads for the company. Perhaps Rivian is delivering much higher numbers outside of SoCal.

Between the frequencies of seeing make/model, and number of paper temp plates, generally speaking it is a good indicator of what vehicles are selling from SoCal samplings.
My state is mid-pack in EV adoption. I see a lot of Rivian R1Ts and the Amazon vans, not a single R1S yet. I've seen maybe 2-3 Lucid Airs, more ID.4s than GTIs, more Teslas than I can count, same goes for Ioniq 5s a couple of new 6s, and there are half a dozen F-150 Lightnings within 1/8 of a mile of me.

I have yet to see an EQS...
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

My state is mid-pack in EV adoption. I see a lot of Rivian R1Ts and the Amazon vans, not a single R1S yet. I've seen maybe 2-3 Lucid Airs, more ID.4s than GTIs, more Teslas than I can count, same goes for Ioniq 5s a couple of new 6s, and there are half a dozen F-150 Lightnings within 1/8 of a mile of me.

I have yet to see an EQS...
What state are you in?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Lately, I have noticed increased uptake for new EVs from these makes/models.

- EQS
- EQS SUV
- F150 Lightning
- Lucid Air
- ID.4

When new models come out, people in SoCal are quick to uptake the vehicles.

Early days, we had seen many of Rivians but lately, the frequency of Rivian's on the road has not increased. Neither have Tycans, e-Trons (all variants, including GT), or Model S/X Plaid models.

What I see the most is EQS and EQS SUV increasing on the road significantly.

Nothing scientific but it's not a good indication to see little to no increase of R1 on the roads for the company. Perhaps Rivian is delivering much higher numbers outside of SoCal.

Between the frequencies of seeing make/model, and number of paper temp plates, generally speaking it is a good indicator of what vehicles are selling from SoCal samplings.

Meaningless anecdotal evidence. I live just a few minutes from Rivian HQ and a service center. I see multiple R1's daily. Does that mean there are Rivians all over the place? absolutely not.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

sorry but this is a bad take. you cant interpret anything from one persons observations

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Since we are going with anecdotes here, I'll chime in.

Texas - seeing Rivians more and more frequently. I used to see one maybe every 2-3 weeks. I see multiple almost every day. There's a notable uptick for sure.

I would say I see Rivians about the same amount as I do EV6s and Ioniq 5s combined, possible more.

ID4s, well I see them every day since I own one, but there's quite a lot. Same with Mach Es.

Taycans are the luxury sedan choice here (outside of Tesla) and of course, Teslas which are nearly California levels at this point.

I have only seen two Lucid Airs ever. Those are extremely rare. Have seen a variety of Mercedes EQ products, but I'd say they are also rare though more frequent than the Airs.

TLDR: yeah, there seems to be many more Rivians on the roads around here.

Last edited:

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
also in SoCal (Topanga - semi rural between the beach and the valley) and Rivians are sprouting like weeds here. I used to see one or two a week and now I am seeing daily (different ones…)

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Piling on the anecdotes...
  1. I feel like I am seeing R1S's more and more often. I anticipate they will soon outnumber R1T's given the anecdotal observations from those who have recently toured the factory. All of which seems consistent with broader consumer tastes for vehicles.
  2. I am getting better at spotting F150 Lightenings. The independent rear suspension is usually the first thing I notice. However, today I followed for several blocks to Home Depot and didn't realize that it was a Lightening until it parked. Makes me wonder how many more I have seen but not recognized.
  3. I am noticing more EV's in general. Lucid, Mercedes, Audi/VW, BMW, Kia, Hyundai, etc. I assume this is partially due to increased adoption and partially due to me being more aware of them now that I drive one.
  4. And the real stretch... I feel like the R2 platform rollout is the key to Rivian becoming a broadly recognized brand. There was a time when Teslas were a novelty, even here in Northern California. Seeing one was noteworthy. Now they are on every block, every freeway mile, and every parking lot. The Model 3 and the Model Y seem to be what moved them past novelty to everyday.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Rivians are extremely popular in Phoenix and surrounding cities. I see them coming and going all day long. Even then, they still turn heads everywhere.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Rivians are extremely popular in Phoenix and surrounding cities. I see them coming and going all day long. Even then, they still turn heads everywhere.
I live in the Phoenix area, west side and see maybe 1 other Rivian per month. I see at least 3 EDVs every day, as they deliver in my neighborhood, based out of Surprise Amazon distribution center.

Everyday I see ID4, Mach E (in addition to my own), EV6, Ionic 5. I see a Lucid and a Lightning at least once a week. Bolts and Teslas are everywhere of course.

I have seen a couple of EQS in my neighborhood and also saw a Lyric recently.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I sometimes play a game where I count the number of ICE cars between EVs in the oncoming lane of any long two-lane road, then take the average or median in my head. Five years ago, an EV seemed to be one in 20-30 cars in this area. These days it is approaching one in 10-15.

good way to entertain yourself in traffic.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
Seeing plenty of Rivians here in the Seattle area.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

West of Boston, Model 3s and Ys were rare 18-24 months ago. Now it seems like they are everywhere, only outnumbered by pick ups and Subarus. ID.4s and Ioniq5s becoming more common. I've started to see a few R1Ts and one R1S. One R1T driver gets very excited when we pass each other on the road with lights and waves. Almost always get a light flash from others. Pretty cool.

ls2000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch LA Silver
On the north shore suburbs of Chicago, the number of Rivians I've seen the past few weeks (some T's, more S's) has really surprised me. A few months ago I'd see the same 2 near my house. I'd guess the total number I've seen the last month is up to 15. Taycans seem about the same, definitely have caught a few EQS', iX's, and Lucids. I probably pay more attention to Rivians, but it has really picked up to the point where it's becoming a common sight to see at least one Rivian on shorter drives.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We stopped for an EA charge at the Walmart in Greenville, Alabama. Before we unhooked there were three R1T's at the chargers. That's a bunch for traveling in rural Alabama. In the photo our Rivian had already disconnected. We have also noticed that at these public EV charging stations everyone is very cordial and engages in conversation. This rarely happens at a gas station.

Brian

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian DSC_0688.JPG
Sponsored