Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I've noticed 3 Rivians in my area on a regular basis in central NJ. I'm sure there are plenty more in the most densely populated state in the country.

We took a road trip to Buffalo and didn't see a single one though.

Not real evidence one way or another but just both sides of the equation.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I believe how many vehicles Rivian has delivered is public knowledge. In the realm of mass vehicle manufacturers, it really isn't that many.

But in addition it appears they clearly know they must get the dual motor to market quickly, as I would guess the top tier quad motor market does have a ultimate limitation.

And then my biggest concern, which has been lack of service centers, which not only sucks as a customer, bit also limits the area of potential sales in the country, sounds like they also know this very clearly and are addressing it now.

Only remaining concern I have is how they are going to come up with a compelling R2 at a competitive yet profitable price, right in the heart of the mass market, where many players will already be, by the time the new plant can make Vin #1 R2.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yesterday a woman in an R1S only begrudgingly waved instead of excitedly waved. Later a guy in the T didn’t wave at all. My observation on the road shows it’s not a good sign with so many unhappy drivers of Rivian products on the road according to my observation. Which is science.

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I fell asleep last night and didn't see a Rivian at all for hours.

I sold all of my stock this AM.

RIP Rivian.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
I live in the Phoenix area, west side and see maybe 1 other Rivian per month. I see at least 3 EDVs every day, as they deliver in my neighborhood, based out of Surprise Amazon distribution center.

Everyday I see ID4, Mach E (in addition to my own), EV6, Ionic 5. I see a Lucid and a Lightning at least once a week. Bolts and Teslas are everywhere of course.

I have seen a couple of EQS in my neighborhood and also saw a Lyric recently.
EDVs by Rivian are definitely common sightings in Phoenix

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian 20221202_130520

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian 20221202_130544

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian 20221202_130617

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle Observation on the Roads - Not Great for Rivian 20221202_130446

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I fell asleep last night and didn't see a Rivian at all for hours.

I sold all of my stock this AM.

RIP Rivian.
Damn! It feels like it was yesterday driving the short 2 miles to your place and seeing two R1Ts

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
Damn! It feels like it was yesterday driving the short 2 miles to your place and seeing two R1Ts
Right? If only we would have seen a few more. Well, Rivian had a good run...

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Rivian's selling all that they make at the moment. Don
Lately, I have noticed increased uptake for new EVs from these makes/models.

- EQS
- EQS SUV
- F150 Lightning
- Lucid Air
- ID.4

When new models come out, people in SoCal are quick to uptake the vehicles.

Early days, we had seen many of Rivians but lately, the frequency of Rivian's on the road has not increased. Neither have Tycans, e-Trons (all variants, including GT), or Model S/X Plaid models.

What I see the most is EQS and EQS SUV increasing on the road significantly.

Nothing scientific but it's not a good indication to see little to no increase of R1 on the roads for the company. Perhaps Rivian is delivering much higher numbers outside of SoCal.

Between the frequencies of seeing make/model, and number of paper temp plates, generally speaking it is a good indicator of what vehicles are selling from SoCal samplings.
Silly exercise. Might make sense if they delivered these in a normal distribution across the country but they're making deliveries by region. In Chicago I've gone from seeing zero Rivians of any kind on my hour-long commute to the Loop to 2 or 3 a day in each direction. My only conclusion is that someone on a 3-year waitlist finally got a delivery.

Sponsored

Deleted member 11292

No disrespect to the OP, but it seems a stretch to draw any meaningful conclusions from what you see in your local area. To draw conclusions, it would be more meaningful (at least to me) to cite sales quantities on a national level.... just my $0.02
It's that CA thing where you think your perspective is everybody's perspective and you need to let them know you set all trends.

And I'm originally from SoCal so I know. 😁

We live in DC but I travel around the country quite a bit. I've seen maybe 3 EQs in the wild and maybe 4 Lightnings. WAY more Rivians and ID4s.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It's that CA thing where you think your perspective is everybody's perspective and you need to let them know you set all trends.

And I'm originally from SoCal so I know. 😁

We live in DC but I travel around the country quite a bit. I've seen maybe 3 EQs in the wild and maybe 4 Lightnings. WAY more Rivians and ID4s.
No, it's not geography. It's an intelligence thing. There, I said it.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Again, it's all meaningless because they're not being rolled out through dealerships, they're being shipped in waves direct from the factory, so it's like one of those rotary sprinkler heads, 99% of the country (obviously a distortion) is getting nothing at any point in time and the 1% that's getting deliveries gets the impression that they're rolling out everywhere at that rate. The only thing that matters is that they're building cars and fulfilling orders at a satisfactory rate.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And I see more and more R1Ts, occasional R1Ses (and finally and EDV) here in the SF Bay Area (last I heard also part of California).
Very few Lightning’s or Hummers.
They are delivering elsewhere as they are selling all they can make. Remember 88% of us don’t live in California.
Sponsored