Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
I think on Tesla's the cameras only heat if you have defrost on. I've had multiple cameras freeze up on the highway when it wasn't on. And if you come out to a snow covered car they don't clear until you start defrost. That is one reason Tesla has such low vampire.

I'm not really a Redditor but will think about it. Is he an engineer with Rivian?
I've already pinged Wassym on Reddit and linked to this thread (specifically your post with the thermal images). I've also brought it up in the weekly "Rivian Responds" thread that they actively participate in. Hopefully this gets their attention!
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I think on Tesla's the cameras only heat if you have defrost on. I've had multiple cameras freeze up on the highway when it wasn't on. And if you come out to a snow covered car they don't clear until you start defrost. That is one reason Tesla has such low vampire.

I'm not really a Redditor but will think about it. Is he an engineer with Rivian?
Wassym is SVP of Rivian Software Development.

Scroll down here: https://rivian.com/our-company

I seriously only joined Reddit because I was having nasty vampire drain and I heard he responds there.

A couple months ago after some overnight chilly (mid to low 30F) temperatures here in Phoenix, I walked out to our Model 3 and noticed some frost on the windshield but that the camera area was clear. I had not preconditioned at all. I think it automatically does warms the area for Sentry mode purposes in cold temps.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/teslas-sentry-mode-camera-will-melt-snow-to-give-it-a-clear-view/

I don't feel like reading this thread, but some owners were even seeing the defrost phenomenon with sentry off:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-while-parked-despite-sentry-disabled.288094/

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Wassym is SVP of Rivian Software Development.

Scroll down here: https://rivian.com/our-company

I seriously only joined Reddit because I was having nasty vampire drain and I heard he responds there.

A couple months ago after some overnight chilly (mid to low 30F) temperatures here in Phoenix, I walked out to our Model 3 and noticed some frost on the windshield but that the camera area was clear. I had not preconditioned at all. I think it automatically does warms the area for Sentry mode purposes in cold temps.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/teslas-sentry-mode-camera-will-melt-snow-to-give-it-a-clear-view/

I don't feel like reading this thread, but some owners were even seeing the defrost phenomenon with sentry off:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-while-parked-despite-sentry-disabled.288094/
I do not have sentry mode on my Tesla X and I still get that defrost.
Same with Rivian with Guard Off

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Interesting. Makes sense when sentry is on, but I haven't seen that on others. Wonder if it is only in legacy X and S?

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Checked two more things with the FLIR thermal camera:
1. The heating of the camera and radar is back when you plug the vehicle in, even in shipping mode.
2. Checked our 2022 Model Y (same garage and temp). It has no hot spots anywhere. Sentry is not on, but it is actively charging.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
1. The heating of the camera and radar is back when you plug the vehicle in, even in shipping mode.
2. Checked our 2022 Model Y (same garage and temp). It has no hot spots anywhere. Sentry is not on, but it is actively charging.
Interesting. So does it go back off if you unplug and still in shipping mode?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Can you try pulling fuse F65 on the passenger side and seeing if that's the one after it cools? It will be the fourth fuse down on the very right column.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FWIW I did have a lot more vampire in my old 2017 X compared to our 3 and Y. This might have been the reason why.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
FWIW I did have a lot more vampire in my old 2017 X compared to our 3 and Y. This might have been the reason why.
yes my 2017 X loses quite a lot but lately I let it sit for a month and "only" lost 100miles or about 3 miles as day.

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
On the Teslas (I have one) with all the various third party apps you need to ensure they're not keeping the car from sleeping. Tesla does nothing to prevent excessive API traffic from keeping the car awake and burning a ton of juice. On Rivian we're not there yet but at some point the third party integrations will catch up.

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
There really needs to be a 'Shut Down' option. Start up sequence can be relatively easy to program in. They already use the brake + unlock as a pseudo wake-up from camp mode or whatnot.

The only trick is to make sure the vehicle responds to unlock commands from the fob or otherwise when in such a state, but I think just having that run off the 12v should be fine since that presumably only sips milliamps for the receiver?

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
I put in a service ticket asking whether 3-4% per day of vampire drain is normal. I received a call today in which the service advisor advised that 3-4% is normal and not indicative of a problem. 10-12% per day is indicative of a problem - Iā€™d say! I told him that I appreciated the call, but would like to provide the feedback that it shouldnā€™t be normal or at least the functions that are causing this level of drain should be transparent to the owner and able to be disabled if so chosen. I didnā€™t get the impression that the feedback would go far.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I put in a service ticket asking whether 3-4% per day of vampire drain is normal. I received a call today in which the service advisor advised that 3-4% is normal and not indicative of a problem. 10-12% per day is indicative of a problem - Iā€™d say! I told him that I appreciated the call, but would like to provide the feedback that it shouldnā€™t be normal or at least the functions that are causing this level of drain should be transparent to the owner and able to be disabled if so chosen. I didnā€™t get the impression that the feedback would go far.
That's disgusting

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Finished a test over the weekend, as we had to drive our ICE vehicle to the mountains for a ski trip because I don't have a tonneau cover yet...but that's another story. Left the Rivian in the garage, unplugged, climate off, audio off.

• Started Thursday at 10am at 40% SoC and 126 miles of range.
  • Came back today (Sunday) at 2:30pm to 36% SoC and 111 miles of range.
  • Total energy usage was 3.4 kWh.
  • 76.5 hours total time.
  • Not scientific - lost about 4.7 miles per day, ~1% SoC
  • Scientific - Using 0.044 kW/hour when sitting idle for this test or 1.067 kWh per day.
It's not good, and I want it lower, but it's not terrible.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? DA4524DC-F379-4AE5-9589-D754441B0C9C

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? EA23DBDF-54C7-4E82-B14A-E2ED9FD53E14

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 99F0522A-0C7B-4814-ADA0-F148A22E2025
Sponsored