Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Put the vehicle into shipping mode this morning and just tested with the FLIR camera. Looks like this mode does indeed shut off all the camera and sensor heat. Will test again in a few hours as well as check if the range loss is much less when I check that out tomorrow morning.
That's very interesting... going back even a year+ people have reported Shipping Mode does little or nothing to reduce vampire drain. That was one or the earliest experiments performed to cut back on vampire drain.

Perhaps these heaters aren't drawing as much as we suspect? We need to identify their fuse/circuits and put an ammeter inline to get some real current draw numbers.

Great photos BTW @HyperionMark !!
I'm guessing the front grille heat source is the Radar heater?
Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
That's very interesting... going back even a year+ people have reported Shipping Mode does little or nothing to reduce vampire drain. That was one or the earliest experiments performed to cut back on vampire drain.

Perhaps these heaters aren't drawing as much as we suspect? We need to identify their fuse/circuits and put an ammeter inline to get some real current draw numbers.

Great photos BTW @HyperionMark !!
I'm guessing the front grille heat source is the Radar heater?
Thanks! Yep, likely the radar. Also, getting just a little heat where the supersonics are. So basically everything that is required for Driver+ is on even when the vehicle is parked and supposed to be sleeping. So weird and such a huge oversight.
For a reference point, I know small little heating pads that are used for seed starting and things like that usually take about 30 W for a foot x foot area. So counting up all the different spots that require heat could easily be 80-100 W which could equal the 2 kWh's plus that some people are seeing.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks! Yep, likely the radar. Also, getting just a little heat where the supersonics are. So basically everything that is required for Driver+ is on even when the vehicle is parked and supposed to be sleeping. So weird and such a huge oversight.
For a reference point, I know small little heating pads that are used for seed starting and things like that usually take about 30 W for a foot x foot area. So counting up all the different spots that require heat could easily be 80-100 W which could equal the 2 kWh's plus that some people are seeing.
You should report these findings to
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1679587624131
on reddit.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Agreed on all of that! Now, why has Rivian failed to address this oversight so far?
Since nothing on this vehicle works off simple relays and direct temp sensors (everything goes through a computer) it should be software addressable. This stuff is not baked in the hardware, it's all software driven.

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Was recently away from home for about 7.5 days and my R1T was in my garage, where the temperature was probably 60 degrees on average. GG and proximity unlocking off at home, and no phones/key fob movement in the house. Battery dropped from ~201 miles of range to ~165 during that period, losing ~36 miles over 7.5 days, so a little under 5 miles of range lost a day. Using 285 miles full charge (20" AT/ all purpose) as a benchmark, it means for my truck like 1.7% of the battery (or maybe 2.3 kWh) is drained each day when it just sits there.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
This is depressing. Combined with relatively limited range and severely limited charging infrastructure, losing almost 5 miles/day to vampire drain makes the R1T virtually unacceptable for my intended use (remote travel and extended camping). PLEASE, Rivian. Address the vampire drain issue!

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

So re cap: in shipping mode we have unacceptable range loss; in cold weather, continually running heating elements are causing further unacceptable range loss; in instances where certain censors like the frunc-state sensors are out of spec/alignment, the vehicle won't go into sleep, and likewise for software bugs with key fobs in too close of proximity; plus periodic preprogrammed telemetry and waking one out of every 3 hours in the day, resulting in more power consumption and range loss.

I suggest we rename this issue "Hydra Vampire Drain" because this beast of a problem has multiple heads, each compounding the problem, which also explains why R1Ts are experiencing different, though still problematic, discharge rates.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Agreed on all of that! Now, why has Rivian failed to address this oversight so far?
Since nothing on this vehicle works off simple relays and direct temp sensors (everything goes through a computer) it should be software addressable. This stuff is not baked in the hardware, it's all software driven.
I'm pretty excited that there's proof in the thermal cameras / etc, because as you say, it's going to be software driven meaning it can be fixed. Hopefully before next winter!

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm pretty excited that there's proof in the thermal cameras / etc, because as you say, it's going to be software driven meaning it can be fixed. Hopefully before next winter!
Service department just called me and stated they knew about this issue and hope to have a fix pushed out in the next update. She didn't seem to know that putting it in shipping mode would stop the heat thought, which seemed weird.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So re cap: in shipping mode we have unacceptable range loss; in cold weather, continually running heating elements are causing further unacceptable range loss; in instances where certain censors like the frunc-state sensors are out of spec/alignment, the vehicle won't go into sleep, and likewise for software bugs with key fobs in too close of proximity; plus periodic preprogrammed telemetry and waking one out of every 3 hours in the day, resulting in more power consumption and range loss.

I suggest we rename this issue "Hydra Vampire Drain" because this beast of a problem has multiple heads, each compounding the problem, which also explains why R1Ts are experiencing different, though still problematic, discharge rates.
Definitely agree with you that this camera heat issue is only one of the heads, a big one, but still just one. Hopefully they keep chopping them off.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Service department just called me and stated they knew about this issue and hope to have a fix pushed out in the next update. She didn't seem to know that putting it in shipping mode would stop the heat thought, which seemed weird.
Excellent news! And, with your IR camera... something that will be easy to verify.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Definitely agree with you that this camera heat issue is only one of the heads, a big one, but still just one. Hopefully they keep chopping them off.
Even with a correctly functioning frunk sensor, PAAK disabled and GG turned off... it has been verified that the vehicle sleeps for 3hrs then is awake for 1 full hr then sleeps for another 3 then is awake for 1 full hour... endlessly in a continuing cycle (forever) when not being used. That has to go as well as it's no doubt the largest contributor to vampire drain and completely unnecessary.

Fix the 1hr awake for every 3hrs asleep issue, fix the cam/radar/windshield heater issue... and vampire drain will be reduced to almost nothing like in other EV's.

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
I knew that vampire drain was a thing, but man does it suck (pun really not intended). Much more than expected and really sad for an energy miser like me.
Same same. I don't think I expected it to be so noticable/bother me as much as it does. I'm looking forward to the fix.

Everything else is exceptional about the car and brand. Including service and scheduling. I despise when I have to take my MME to the Ford dealership.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Great research on this! Well done.

Just curious - how are you measuring the draw from the camera heater? I noticed you have some Tesla's and my Model 3 heats that front camera area too - and has minimal vampire drain. So I do wonder how much the Rivian camera heating is contributing to the excessive vampire drain overall.

As mentioned above, I think it's multiple factors - BUT, I'm glad your local SC said they are aware and will be addressing - truly a multi-headed "hydra" as @SurfnBike coined above.

You should seriously reached out to Wassym on Reddit as well. He has shockingly replied to a few messages I have sent him and even diagnosed my frunk sensor issue.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great research on this! Well done.

Just curious - how are you measuring the draw from the camera heater? I noticed you have some Tesla's and my Model 3 heats that front camera area too - and has minimal vampire drain. So I do wonder how much the Rivian camera heating is contributing to the excessive vampire drain overall.

As mentioned above, I think it's multiple factors - BUT, I'm glad your local SC said they are aware and will be addressing - truly a multi-headed "hydra" as @SurfnBike coined above.

You should seriously reached out to Wassym on Reddit as well. He has shockingly replied to a few messages I have sent him and even diagnosed my frunk sensor issue.
I think on Tesla's the cameras only heat if you have defrost on. I've had multiple cameras freeze up on the highway when it wasn't on. And if you come out to a snow covered car they don't clear until you start defrost. That is one reason Tesla has such low vampire.

I'm not really a Redditor but will think about it. Is he an engineer with Rivian?
Sponsored