First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
We don't have any way of knowing what they are working on, but perhaps they could start with the power steering pump being on all the time?
Per their VP in charge of vehicle software, the power steering pump issue was because the owner left the 120V outlets on, which keeps the vehicle energized. Not saying that isn't still an issue, but it shouldn't be typical of standby.

If you are seeing more than a few miles per night of drain, DM u/WassyRivian on Reddit so they can pull logs and fix it:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Per their VP in charge of vehicle software, the power steering pump issue was because the owner left the 120V outlets on, which keeps the vehicle energized.

Not saying that isn't still an issue, but it shouldn't be typical of standby.
I always need to steer my vehicle when I plug in a cooler to the outlets. Adventure tested!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I always need to steer my vehicle when I plug in a cooler to the outlets. Adventure tested!
(Hence my second sentence.)

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
When I first read your message, the Reddit attachments were not showing. But my apologies; my intention was to agree with you.

I wonder what exactly the timer is going to do since he does not make that clear (to me). Surely they will time the power steering pump and turn it off, not the outlets.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
We don't have any way of knowing what they are working on, but perhaps they could start with the power steering pump being on all the time?

And maybe power down all camera if Gear Guard is off? :sun:
It seems like there are a lot of things on all the time with the current OS.

If it comes down to a choice between "instant" GUI access as you open a door which costs 2-3kWh per day or a 5 second boot time (from when you open the driver's door) for the GUI (like on my i3 and Bolt).. I can wait 5 seconds to save 1,095kWh of electricity/year.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have no idea how the Rivin is designed but my guess is that it's the BMS that is using the most amount of power when the truck is sitting. And I don't think Rivian is going to reduce that much since they have a long battery warranty. Maybe they will in a few years with more data from battery degradation but they are going to be very conservative with the battery.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Per their VP in charge of vehicle software, the power steering pump issue was because the owner left the 120V outlets on, which keeps the vehicle energized. Not saying that isn't still an issue, but it shouldn't be typical of standby.

If you are seeing more than a few miles per night of drain, DM u/WassyRivian on Reddit so they can pull logs and fix it:
I'm pretty disappointed with how the 120V system is architected into the rest of the vehicle. It shouldn't be necessary to have anything else that's high-drain to remain on in order to have the inverter going all the time. It shouldn't take 10 kWh to run a 35 liter fridge on AC for 16 hours, but that's at least what I'm observing on my truck with having the outlets on last night with the vehicle unplugged.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
This is one where I have to give credit to the legacy manufacturers. They have a culture that understands idle power consumption from years of living in a 12v world.

Rivian engineers come from a pure software world focused on “wizz bang” and are oblivious to fundamental engineering issues like hardware power consumption. Remember the old joke: “How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? None, it’s a hardware problem.”

Fiddling with timers and minor programming changes it NOT a systemic solution. It will not be fixed until u/WassymRivian and company embrace a cultural shift that focuses on the fundamental problem of power consumption in battery operated devices.

Such a change is not unprecedented. Motorola implemented a major cultural initiative called the “War on Power Comsumption” that enabled them to develop pagers that lasted months on a single cell battery. That philosophy carried over to make practical handheld cellphones using tiered processors with wake cycles and slotted signaling timing. Today Qualcomm embraces similar systemic philosophies that underpin the highly efficient Snapdragon devices that power modern cellphones.

Rivian has a lot going for it, but this power efficiency and waste issue is a huge problem that will be exploited by the many competitors that got it right.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
I'm pretty disappointed with how the 120V system is architected into the rest of the vehicle. It shouldn't be necessary to have anything else that's high-drain to remain on in order to have the inverter going all the time. It shouldn't take 10 kWh to run a 35 liter fridge on AC for 16 hours, but that's at least what I'm observing on my truck with having the outlets on last night with the vehicle unplugged.
Agreed. And the same applies to the 12v power system, which should be an even more efficient way of powering refrigeration.

The more I understand the Rivian architecture, the more I’ve come to believe the Rivian engineering team is highly disconnected from the whole energy efficient outdoor living marketing message.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

I was just about to pop in and chime this exact thread. Bravo!

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Do you also find it interesting that Rivian has chosen Reddit as their means of customer intimacy? I started on Reddit but quickly moved over here as this seems to be the more popular forum for Rivian owners?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Reddit/IG have lower barriers to entry as "lurkers" and better discovery - forums tend to be relatively opaque to casual browsers who aren't intentionally joining a community. They're also higher-overhead to monitor for trends. I think Reddit makes a lot of sense, though naturally I'd love to see them on the forums too.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Doesn't this have EPAS? Why would there be a hydraulic pump? The only reason older cars did is because you can drive it off an accessory belt but everyone's moving away from that now.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

so how do we elevate this at Rivian so they know to prioritize it? Time to get a Reddit account?

Hopefully it’s possible for Rivian to keep chipping away at it with software updates. Its not encouraging that, according to @EV Buyers Guide , the recent software update did NOT improve standby power draw.

I hope it’s possible to implement a deep-sleep mode that can be toggled by those who want it. When toggled the vehicle could go into hibernation after X hours in park.

Reactions: Rad

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I only got my truck a few days ago, but just wanted to chime in with a positive data point:

Only lost an average of one or two miles of range each of the last 3 nights. Of note, I had Gear Guard toggle off.
Sponsored