Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

Dropped my kids off at camp today and headed to my cabin in woods to have an adult camp. Stopped at good old reliable charger in Mt Pleasant TX and second after driving off from charging I got into turtle mode. Pulled over and stopped. Truck finished would not move. All error codes that could showed up on screen. Could not even get truck to recognize I was pressing the brake to put into gear. After two attempts to rest and sleep the vehicle still did not work. Left it for service to tow. Had to get a friend to turn around and pick us up with all our gear. Truck only had power on drivers side and not passenger. Had to crawl into gear tunnel to get stuff out. Tried to push the emergency open button on passenger side apparently it only works if there is power. So truck threw up an error that someone was in gear runnel stuck. Since I could not open the door the error would not go away and allow the truck to lock.

Picture added to show only one headlight working.

Rivian R1T R1S Vacation Ruined - catastrophic failure IMG_1105
Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Sorry to hear that. That’s just crazy!

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
It's worth checking fuses. I don't know where the fuse box is though.

• Haha
Reactions: Bee

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Really feel for you. That is terrible. I had a similar experience with a new model year Ford Escape where it completely freaked out, every error light came on, and it died. I had to get picked up off the side of the road and I was on a highway.

The Ford dealership ended up having to consult corporate engineers since things were so new and they didn't have training on the new hardware.

The whole experience made me rethink ever buying a first model year vehicle again.

Hopefully Rivian gets this sorted quickly. Unfortunately, you and everyone else driving a Rivian are serving as beta testers for everyone else who will own one in the future...

RTChiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Clubs

It seems rather similar to what happened with our R1T before the last update. Luckily my wife driving was not on freeway - pulled over to a parking lot at a shopping center once it slowed down and was not responsive with all the error lights on, called me and I thought it would be a good idea to hard reset. It didn't help. She called Rivian and they sorted the problem over the phone.
Basically she had to leave the car, turn off her phone, close all door and space away from the car for 30 min. It did the trick. She was told she had to 'rest the car' also she was told next time we should not do 'hard reset' as it would prevent them from doing certain things remotely. We took the car in later in the week but it was working perfectly by then. SC still kept the truck for 2 weeks - they said they wanted to make sure car was safe to drive - I still don't know what the problem was exactly but we have not had any problems since. It drives perfectly well.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

It seems very likely that this is related to the 12V lead acid battery issues.

Oddly, Rivian elected to use two, relatively small 12V modules. Seems as though left and right power their respective sides, hence the stroke symptoms.

Lead acid is archaic and doesn't handle discharge particularly well. There is also evidently some issue with the charging circuitry for these which makes these prone to failure.

There is an aftermarket vendor that sells lithium replacements. I have about 20k on the clock also and am considering doing this...

Sucks about your trip. Sorry to hear that.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

This sucks and sorry to hear your vacation started this way. Hopefully the rest of your vacation will be much more enjoyable.

Bad 12v battery does sound likely. Please let us know what happens and how they fix it!

OP
OP

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

There was a local couple that came and hung out with us until our friend came. I did try putting jumper cables on the truck from the hitch. Nothing powered up.