First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
They're not. Some people on here just exist to drive potential customers away. I have the OG tonneau. I've used it for 15 moths straight with no issues. I compared this video to mine in operation. Unless the OP went in and modified the audio, this is quieter. Also, I can't say with 100% certainty its different, but my tonneau appears to overlap a lot more this one. These panels look flush with the panel next to it. With mine, you can definitely see the top of the panel overlapping the one in front of it.
For sure a portion of the audience think vinegar can attract bees. Perhaps part of the fix is better manufacturing and more precise control of variances... to reduce tolerance stacking (part of the original problem).
Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I've also had my R1T since August 2022 but I have not once seen the tonneau closed as it was delivered non-operational. I'm trading in for an R1S soon. It now looks like I will never see it closed. Oh well.
Out of curiosity did Rivian give you a decent trade in on the T for the S?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I actually still have one of the old panels from when mobile service came to my house and disabled the old cover a while back.

I will take comparison pictures when I get home this afternoon.
if the slats are indeed different, then seems like they are changing quite a bit and its going to cost Rivian a lot more than i originally thought to replace. yikes, what a financial, on top of PR, disaster.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
if the slats are indeed different, then seems like they are changing quite a bit and its going to cost Rivian a lot more than i originally thought to replace. yikes, what a financial, on top of PR, disaster.
Pure speculation

OP
OP
ColoradoAdventure

ColoradoAdventure

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer & Educator
Here are pictures of the old and new slats.

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau Cover In Action! [Video] IMG_0801

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau Cover In Action! [Video] IMG_0798

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau Cover In Action! [Video] IMG_0800

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau Cover In Action! [Video] IMG_0802

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau Cover In Action! [Video] IMG_0803

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
Just picked up my truck from getting the new updated powered tonneau cover installed at the Denver service center. They said they went to normal to watch them test the cover and that engineers poured sand into and on top of the cover and it ran with no problem.

They said it was the 2nd ever updated install and they ran it 20 times with no issues or weird noises before calling me to pick it up. I think it works and sounds much better now! The slats don’t sound like they are bending and fighting each other and the motor isn’t getting as bogged down.

Updates:
Still just One motor
Updated spring system to prevent panels from getting out of alignment
Updated bottom panel system
Reinforced interior and gearing
Something internally to help keep slats/gears clean

IMG_0791.jpeg

So how does this all go down? Do I wait for a notification from Rivian that my R1T needs to be serviced to do the tonneau cover fix?

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
So how does this all go down? Do I wait for a notification from Rivian that my R1T needs to be serviced to do the tonneau cover fix?
Great question, inquiring minds in my household would like to know too!

Reactions: Don

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Great question, inquiring minds in my household would like to know too!
According to Rivian Support when I called them, they're distributing the replacement parts to each SC, who will then start reaching out. Ours, like many, was disabled at delivery, so we do not have an open service ticket, but it was noted on the due bill. They assured me I was 'on the list', and to expect contact sometime this month.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Out of curiosity did Rivian give you a decent trade in on the T for the S?
I was underwhelmed but it's not so low that it makes it worth it to me to try to do private party given that you only pay sales tax on the price of a new vehicle net of the trade-in value. Either a savvy offer or ungenerous offer on their part, I guess.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Pure speculation
not really though, is it? more like logically guessed certainty :)

they need to replace thousands of tonneau covers. at minimum thats labor costs not to mention opp costs lost on working on other service requests. and depending on how much h/w is being replaced, that's more sunk costs.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I think he gets his back on Monday?
I’m still waiting. s00n

They have the vast majority of items completed (according to the app), but two remain. I don’t know what they are since I don’t recall requesting them. LOL

But the Tonneau Cover line item has a check mark next to it. I’m hoping they can get the truck done tomorrow.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
That may be true for the OPs truck, but doesn’t explain “their disappearance” four pages ago; unless they are locked in their truck, at the SC, without WiFi or cell connectivity. 🤣
LOL - I didn’t have time to keep up with this thread. Most items on WO are complete. Magical check-mark next to Tonneau Cover in the app. Just waiting to hear back from the SC.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

Here’s a post service invoice for those that don’t believe that I have the new cover.

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg
Look at this guy taking the time to fabricate a fake invoice. probably a Cybertruck fan😂😉.

In all seriousness, congrats on getting this replaced and thanks for taking the time to share!

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Look at this guy taking the time to fabricate a fake invoice. probably a Cybertruck fan😂😉.

In all seriousness, congrats on getting this replaced and thanks for taking the time to share!
Great to know it's happening! Just re-lubtricated all the appropriate areas with dry graphite spray hoping to prevent malfunction while awaiting the upgraded power tonneau.

Thanks for posting!

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Here are pictures of the old and new slats.

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg
🤷🏼‍♂️ Unfortunately these old vs. new pictures don't give me any insight into what's new/different, but thanks for trying.
Sponsored