Sponsored

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why not happy? I'm actually a bit upset that I didn't keep the max pack. I would take a dual motor max pack with $4500 off.
Exactly. If that config existed before my number was called, that's the truck I would've bought... slightly jealous of those who get the option.

guess everyone's different though
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How much time until the quad motor drive is gone from all? They might be looking to squeeze out Bosch and insource their motors.
They've made no bones about wanting to move all the motors in-house. They already have the dual-motor Enduro setup testing in R1s and EDVs. What's blatantly obvious is they likely haven't even begun development of the quad-motor Enduro drivetrain, i.e. dual-motor drive units that are required for a quad-motor setup.

Kaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Why not happy? I'm actually a bit upset that I didn't keep the max pack. I would take a dual motor max pack with $4500 off.
This sucks because they've now prioritized dual motor builds over the already promised and pre-sold quad-motors. ALso pissed because it sure seems like they're canceling our current order pricing (though I'll admit it's NOT clear, but sure feels that's where they're heading). It's one thing to be told to keep waiting, it's another thing to start bait switching and changing build priorities in front of what we have been told up till now.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This sucks because they've now prioritized dual motor builds over the already promised and pre-sold quad-motors. ALso pissed because it sure seems like they're canceling our current order pricing (though I'll admit it's NOT clear, but sure feels that's where they're heading). It's one thing to be told to keep waiting, it's another thing to start bait switching and changing build priorities in front of what we have been told up till now.
The email says they are prioritizing the pre march order max pack converts to the dual motor which is a good thing for max pack orders. The only thing you lose is two motors but gain $4500 and possibly an 800V system.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The email says they are prioritizing the pre march order max pack converts to the dual motor which is a good thing for max pack orders. The only thing you lose is two motors but gain $4500 and possibly an 800V system.
And 235 hp and not insignificant performance metrics.

Sponsored

Kaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Like another person said, is this with lockers? It would have to be in order to keep its offroad prowess. I'm just getting tired of changes to the original order after endless delays. Might just swap to an R1S for the woman and move on. At this point, I don't want to give them the satisfaction of a low-priced pre-order being canceled. Just frustrated and flustered about this whole thing now.

aex90832

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Pacifica Hybrid, 2019 GT350
Occupation
CyberSecurity
I am FUMING over this. We've been waiting multiple years to get the Max Pack-Quad Motor. We all gave them the benefit of the doubt for so much, me especially:
-Price increase (which they reneged on, but not really if you think about all of this other stuff)
-Removal of Powered Tonneau cover (indefinitely)
-Removal of the Camp Kitchen (indefinitely)

But now they force max pack to be dual motor only. They even have the balls to say they will reintroduce "later" at a yet-to-be-announced price (hint: HIGHER) as if this is some sort of "new" model, and not the one they announced 5 years ago.

So what are my options?
-Quad Motor -Large Pack without my Powered Tonneau cover, and camp Kitchen, and give up the extra range I need as a buffer for towing. We have a camper we like to take out and I'd love to

-Continue to wait well into 2024 for *maybe* the "enhanced" dual motor, and hope nothing else changes to the detriment of my order.

-Cancel my order and move on. This is seeming like the most attractive option at this point. But I feel like this is what they wanted. They obviously are loosing money and don't really want to commit to the pre March pricing.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I am FUMING over this. We've been waiting multiple years to get the Max Pack-Quad Motor. We all gave them the benefit of the doubt for so much, me especially:
-Price increase (which they reneged on, but not really if you think about all of this other stuff)
-Removal of Powered Tonneau cover (indefinitely)
-Removal of the Camp Kitchen (indefinitely)

But now they force max pack to be dual motor only. They even have the balls to say they will reintroduce "later" at a yet-to-be-announced price (hint: HIGHER) as if this is some sort of "new" model, and not the one they announced 5 years ago.

So what are my options?
-Quad Motor -Large Pack without my Powered Tonneau cover, and camp Kitchen, and give up the extra range I need as a buffer for towing. We have a camper we like to take out and I'd love to

-Continue to wait well into 2024 for *maybe* the "enhanced" dual motor, and hope nothing else changes to the detriment of my order.

-Cancel my order and move on. This is seeming like the most attractive option at this point. But I feel like this is what they wanted. They obviously are loosing money and don't really want to commit to the pre March pricing.
Sure those are the options. I'm guessing you have to have the quad motors and max pack? I guessed this would happen, I think they can't get that 12 battery module in there so the only way they get to near 400 miles is with the new motors and only 2 of them.

Reactions: Guy

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I'm probably going to end up bumping my max pack order over to an R1S, then bump my R1S to max pack+quad R1T once they open that back up.
I suspect that config will probably be the max pack range but with a 0-60 time better than the current quad + large. Hopefully with 800v architecture. Should be amazing.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
So I'm trying to read this disappointment, but I had called this earlier when they started shitcanning all the features that made me want this vehicle (Kitchen with all the trimmings, tent and then all the options are gone and have to be bought extra, and now, the last remaining reason)

Rivian R1T R1S Update: Your Max Pack Preorder - R1T’s Max Pack only available w/ Dual-Motor. Unavailable w/ Quad-Motor starting 2023 1671574647611

But the more I re-read it, the more it reads to me as

"we're putting out a 2 motor version of it, and it'll be cheaper and come out in 2023"

otherwise you wait until 2024 or later for a quad/max config.

They throw in the 11000 towing capacity because I bet money the quad motor couldn't do it, and when they do finally say what the quad motor is it won't do 11,000 pounds.

I'm at the 'fuck it, time to cancel and just get a 2023 Colorado ZR2'. I already bought a Land Rover Defender 110 knowing it'd be at least a year, now it's looking like more and more. I am wondering if Rivian is right for me at all anymore.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

* the email is unclear, can we still wait for a quad + max pack? Is that still planned for 2024?
I read the email as a hard "no". Pretty sure that was the entire point of the email.
" Quad-Motor + Max pack will not be selectable in the configurator beginning in early 2023. "

The email says pretty clearly that your options are either Max Pack and dual motor or quad motor large pack. Quad motor and Max Pack is just an idea at this time.

aex90832

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Pacifica Hybrid, 2019 GT350
Occupation
CyberSecurity
Sure those are the options. I'm guessing you have to have the quad motors and max pack? I guessed this would happen, I think they can't get that 12 battery module in there so the only way they get to near 400 miles is with the new motors and only 2 of them.

I don't have to have anything. The problem is that we were sold on something that will never materialize. I could drop to the dual motor (which we know little about), but then I could've just bought a Lightning. Yes, less range, but so is the large pack, which I could've possibly have had for MANY months.

The opportunity cost calculations are infinite. I've passed on many cars because I foolishly gave Rivian the benefit of the doubt. Additionally, I didn't want to pay exorbitantly for a car I wouldn't be keeping once the Rivian arrived.

I feel this thread turning quickly to "pissed off, likely former Rivian pre-order holders"

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I totally understand why reservation holders are not happy with this announcement.

Personally, my next BEV must have 400+ miles of range, and finally, FINALLY, Rivian is at least living up to the 400 mile range promise.

I suspect this means they have reduced the size of the battery pack. It was going to be 180 kWh, right? They are trying to keep the 400 mile range promise by reducing the number of motors while also reducing the size of the max pack. Both changes reduce cost. I would have preferred they target a 420 mile range with a dual motor and 180 kWh pack.

So what about the removable roof?
Sponsored