Sponsored

Unresponsive Customer Service?

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Trying to be patient, BUT, not for much longer. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Customer Service?

Had R1T 2 weeks, and got a nail in the tire sidewall. I dont have a spare. Called CS day of incident and told they will expedite a replacement to me in 1-2days. Then nothing. Called next day, no info, no update. Told will provide update that day. then nothing, again. Next day I contact my guide, who says they'll get to the bottom of it. then nothing. Call CS again (3rd day in a row), and no info, no update. Told I'll get a call back....... nothing.

CS is polite and empathic but I need information and results! Why cant they tell me when they can get me a tire? 2 days or 2 weeks, either way just let me know so I can plan my transportation!
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

@Cary Hawk , which tires do you have?

Do you not have a spare because you ordered one and haven’t received it yet or because you didn’t order one?

I don’t have my Rivian yet but unless you have the 21” (hard to find) tire size what is your expectation of Rivian if you have a sidewall puncture which probably can’t be patched or sealed?

When they said they’re expediting a replacement are they providing it for free or do you have to pay for it?

I’m asking to get a better idea of what the whole situation is since I don’t understand why Rivian should get involved if I compare this situation to other brands I’ve bought in the past. I know that if I punctured a sidewall on another car, the most I’d expect from roadside assistance would be changing out the flat for the spare then I’d go to a tire shop and buy a replacement tire. Or, if I didn’t have a spare I’d expect them to flatbed the vehicle to a nearby tire shop or into the dealer and then I’d pay for a replacement tire.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I don't have any good answers for why CS is unresponsive.

But, have you considered just ordering an OEM replacement from Tire Rack? They have all 3 sizes available and ready to ship. Might be easier given the CS fail you're experiencing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

All good questions; I'll try to answer -
- I didnt order a spare (Think I might now though)
- I have 22s, and Tirerack is back ordered on OEM tires
- Only expectation was set by Rivian CS when they told me they would replace it in 1-2days
- Still no info on the cost or who is going to pick up the $$.
- May have to give up on Rivian CS and continue hunting for a new OEM tire on my own knowing they are backordered and not readily available.

how many daily calls and emails should it take to get answer from Rivian?

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

- Only expectation was set by Rivian CS when they told me they would replace it in 1-2days
- May have to give up on Rivian CS and continue hunting for a new OEM tire on my own knowing they are backordered and not readily available.

Thanks for the extra I for action. Why would Rivian pay? Punctures unfortunately happen.

OP
OP

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

I havent asked Rivian to pay. They only said they could get me a tire in 1-2 days. And tirerack is back ordered. Local shops dont have the OEM tires. So why wouldnt I go with Rivian service? I'll pay for the tire. I never suggested I wouldnt.

Thanks for the extra I for action. Why would Rivian pay? Punctures unfortunately happen.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I havent asked Rivian to pay. They only said they could get me a tire in 1-2 days. And tirerack is back ordered. Local shops dont have the OEM tires. So why wouldnt I go with Rivian service? I'll pay for the tire. I never suggested I wouldnt.
Thanks for replying.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thanks for the detail! It sounds like CS doesn’t know what to do with this. Have you tried submitting a ticket for service via the app? Since you need a part (tire) and service supplies parts (I think) then this might get you some action. Alternatively, a smaller local tire shop may be able to help you, especially if you’ve done business with them before.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

@Cary Hawk I forgot to write: on a positive note at least if you buy a full-size spare for your R1T you have a place dedicated to storing it. I’m envious of that!

Please keep us posted since I don’t think people expected the 22” or 20” factory tires to be so scarce. I hope you’re back on the road quickly.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Silly question probably, but Are you talking to the general customer service people, or the separate service line?

surely the service centres keep a safety stock of something so critical as tires. Too bad it’s impossible to contact them directly.

OP
OP

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

UPDATE - Finally heard from the Service Center (Richmond, VA) this evening. They don't have any 22" tires! Wait, what, no tires at a service center? Yep, The best they can do is Oct 19th for a new tire.
Just 15 more days to get one tire replaced.

And yes, I checked all the local tire dealers; no has Rivian OEM Pirelli 22s in stock either and Tirerack is still back ordered with no estimated delivery time.

What a cluster %$#@

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Wow! No 22" tires available from Rivian?

They have to do better than that... time to escalate to HQ. How can you sell a vehicle with no possibility of providing a replacement tire for an owner with a blowout?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

UPDATE - Finally heard from the Service Center (Richmond, VA) this evening. They don't have any 22" tires! Wait, what, no tires at a service center? Yep, The best they can do is Oct 19th for a new tire.
Just 15 more days to get one tire replaced.

And yes, I checked all the local tire dealers; no has Rivian OEM Pirelli 22s in stock either and Tirerack is still back ordered with no estimated delivery time.

What a cluster %$#@
Sorry, that sucks!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Wow! No 22" tires available from Rivian?

They have to do better than that... time to escalate to HQ. How can you sell a vehicle with no possibility of providing a replacement tire for an owner with a blowout?
Is Pirelli unable to deliver more of those tires to the U.S. than Rivian buys for manufacturing? The fact that NOBODY has them in stock makes me think this isn’t a Rivian problem as much as it is a Pirelli problem.
Sponsored