Sponsored

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler
I don't really want my MTB inside the cab. I rode yesterday, for example, and it got all muddy. I wanted the R1T so I could use the bed for such things.
I gotcha..I am a roadie so I don't have that problem.
Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I had purchased the Race Face tailgate pad, but haven't used it yet. I have to admit I really like the idea of not having to install/remove the pad, risk of denting the tailgate crease, dealing with interference on the inside of tailgate, and using the existing holes. On the flipside, I do have some concerns about anything remotely connected to the tonneau cover and how structurally sound those anchors are. Following...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

”structural plate“ or not, I wouldn’t want to attach antpything to the tonneau cartridge.
OP says they are 10mm bolts, but that's the size of the hex head... The tonneau probably won't see much of the force from being loaded full of stuff because it's going to put the pressure on the actual part of the bed that's across the bottom half first. Screwing something just into the tonneau really doesn't strike me as being a good idea long term, but I have no interest in trying to ruin my own truck to prove a point. It could have easily been designed for a push load, but fail quickly under a pull load.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
OP says they are 10mm bolts, but that's the size of the hex head... The tonneau probably won't see much of the force from being loaded full of stuff because it's going to put the pressure on the actual part of the bed that's across the bottom half first. Screwing something just into the tonneau really doesn't strike me as being a good idea long term, but I have no interest in trying to ruin my own truck to prove a point.
If it’s a 10mm head, then it’s 99.9% an m6x1 thread. Which is fine, but as I said and you said…wouldn’t want to chance it. It doesn’t seem like these connections are designed to do anything more than hold the cladding on in the bed.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That same size bolt or similar is used to hold together most of the car racks and accessories we all attach to our vehicles to transport bikes, kayaks, snowboards, etc….

I’m no engineer or machinist but I think the fact that the rack in this design is not actually *holding* the weight of the bikes up makes this plenty sturdy. The rear wheels are sitting on the tailgate and the front wheels are sitting on the truck bed. The force is still downward except for bumps, corners, etc which is the tough part for any rack to handle. I plan on buying this when I get my R1T. It keeps the bikes low and secure and can easily be removed or hidden.

Hell, these seasucker suction mounts get great reviews - if they can hold a bike to glass and all the torquey forces pulling it in all directions, I certainly trust a couple 10mm bolts to hold a rail to the front of a truck bed.
https://www.seasucker.com

Sponsored

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
That same size bolt or similar is used to hold together most of the car racks and accessories we all attach to our vehicles to transport bikes, kayaks, snowboards, etc….

I’m no engineer or machinist but I think the fact that the rack in this design is not actually *holding* the weight of the bikes up makes this plenty sturdy. The rear wheels are sitting on the tailgate and the front wheels are sitting on the truck bed. The force is still downward except for bumps, corners, etc which is the tough part for any rack to handle. I plan on buying this when I get my R1T. It keeps the bikes low and secure and can easily be removed or hidden.

Hell, these seasucker suction mounts get great reviews - if they can hold a bike to glass and all the torquey forces pulling it in all directions, I certainly trust a couple 10mm bolts to hold a rail to the front of a truck bed.
https://www.seasucker.com
For those interested, here is a video of the BuiltRight MOLLE panel prototype being installed in a Rivian. I recommend watching the entire video to see the engineering that goes into the panel, but if you just want to see the panel installed (it's beautiful) just scroll to the end of the video. For those looking for a MOLLE panel, and assuming this goes into production, it may be possible to combine this with the Ride88 racks.

Last edited:

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
For those interested, here is a video of the BuiltRight MOLLE panel prototype being installed in a Rivian. I recommend watching the entire video to see the engineering that goes into the panel, but if you just want to see the panel installed (it's beautiful) just scroll to the end of the video. For those looking for a MOLLE panel, and assuming this goes into production, it may be possible to combine this with the Ride88 racks.
Dang it! Now I want one of these now too. I think you and I would totally get along.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

slick. Thanks for posting!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That is very cool. At the end of that video he said he was going to go home and hook his bike up to that panel. I’d love to see how that turned out. Thanks for sharing that!

lifezzgood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I have been researching for weeks for the ultimate bike carrier. I originally was going to go with a tailgate pad, but read about people denting the tailgate given its design and that had me worried. I also didn't want to be concerned with scratching the tailgate or messing around with installing/uninstalling the pad all the time.

I've been on the hunt for a rack that is secure (bolted into the truck), can hide under the tonneau without having to disconnect or uninstall anything and that I can quickly remove from the bed altogether and store in the gear tunnel if I need the bed space.

I have no affiliation with Ride88, but ended up buying a Rivian-specific package they've just dialed in. The owner was outstanding and answered all my questions (website is www.ride88.com). I installed it this morning and it was very easy. I just removed the black plastic covers on the back bed wall and used the bolts and utility track Ride88 provided for the Rivian. I am very impressed with the design and quality. I tested it with both my regular mountain bike and emtb (50 pounds) and they are completely secure. Everything is rock solid.

I was very happy to learn that I can load/unload the bikes easily from the side of the truck bed so I don't have to climb up when I take the bikes in and out. Because they are held at bed level, the bikes also easily fit under the top of the garage door opening. As I mentioned, the kit comes with the utility track, so I'm anxious to use that to mount up other things (just not sure what yet).

Just thought I would share because I know others are looking for a clean solution that's suitable for the R1T. For what it's worth, I also have a hitch mount, but it's heavy and awkward, so really wanted something to make life easier without compromising the safety/security of my bikes and truck.

33BD2AC6-A4FF-4234-ACFF-C17CA753917A.jpeg

B52D1A7B-DF08-4C4C-A334-6EF280B45E9C.jpeg

94C1D85C-9ABA-4BBD-8EAC-F56471B248D0.jpeg

4E8FF651-A3EA-40A6-B757-46A7306C0E38.jpeg

9D451586-4EA6-4D9C-B8B8-81AFEFDD6D1F.jpeg

332349B5-1838-4509-A359-E7E6684A9890.jpeg

5BF67268-1D1E-4667-B17B-EE1593B363A3.jpeg

357A8BE7-45CB-4C1F-8AD9-5051999F682D.jpeg

0E17DD25-9DEA-4995-A454-A26AB11AE2AA.jpeg

1DE57662-1D18-46D8-8C00-EBE3CE8E5597.jpeg

3988EA1A-2731-47A3-8126-D7D72B23A28F.jpeg

7CF3E527-6D98-405B-B43D-8F91CA6E3130.jpeg
About to make a decision on bike racks - do you have number for owner as they are not responding to email? Also, mind sharing what two cost you? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
About to make a decision on bike racks - do you have number for owner as they are not responding to email? Also, mind sharing what two cost you? Thanks
I just tried the email and received a response right away. Did you send to this email address: [email protected]

I bought the double rack system which is $698 (I believe the single rack system is around $400). There definitely are less expensive options out there, but none that fit all my criteria. I'm also a big believer in buying quality, especially when it's going to be holding $10K worth of my mountain bikes.

baForest

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter
Ride88 now has Rivian listed and you can just buy directly online. No need to email (I had the same problem as others). Looking forward to this rack. Thanks OP

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
Curious to know if the OP or anyone else that has purchased this system is still happy after living with it for a while. I reached out to Ride88 with a couple of questions that have gone unanswered (no response) so I'm a little concerned about buying a set from them. I thought I would at least get a response within a couple of days from a small boutique outfit but have been underwhelmed so far.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Curious to know if the OP or anyone else that has purchased this system is still happy after living with it for a while. I reached out to Ride88 with a couple of questions that have gone unanswered (no response) so I'm a little concerned about buying a set from them. I thought I would at least get a response within a couple of days from a small boutique outfit but have been underwhelmed so far.
I'm the OP. It bears repeating that I have no affiliation with Ride88 and I bought my racks from them. I say that so it doesn't sound like I'm selling them or their product in any way. That said, in my experience the owner, Jerry, has always been very responsive -- I've usually heard back the same day and can't recall a time when I didn't hear back by the next day. It makes me wonder if maybe your emails aren't making it to him? I don't know what to say.

As for the racks themselves, I am absolutely loving them as a solution for transporting my bikes (a long modern geo mountain bike and a heavy eMTB). The racks work so well and so conveniently. I mostly leave one of the racks in the truck under the tonneau and one hanging on my garage wall next to my truck for when I need to haul a second bike. I also use my bed a lot and it has been so easy to pop the rack off with the quick release and throw it in the gear tunnel for when I need the bed space.

For me, the carrier has been one of those rare products that I come to appreciate all the more, the more I use it. It's just a rock solid solution, from the construction of the product itself to how solidly it's mounted to the bed to how easy it is to use. It's been everything I was hoping for -- and I shopped/researched for a long time. If there's any downside I could point to, it's the fact that I have to have the tailgate down when hauling bikes, but honestly that really isn't an issue. I'm just nitpicking trying to come up with something to counterbalance my positive review/experience with the carrier.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the carrier either here or through direct message.

Last edited:

Gigawatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fast ones
I'm the OP. It bears repeating that I have no affiliation with Ride88 and I bought my racks from them. I say that so it doesn't sound like I'm selling them or their product in any way. That said, in my experience the owner, Jerry, has always been very responsive -- I've usually heard back the same day and can't recall a time when I didn't hear back by the next day. It makes me wonder if maybe your emails aren't making it to him? I don't know what to say.

As for the racks themselves, I am absolutely loving them as a solution for transporting my bikes (a long modern geo mountain bike and a heavy eMTB. The racks work so well and so conveniently. I mostly leave one of the racks in the truck under the tonneau and one hanging on my garage wall next to my truck for when I need to haul a second bike. I also use my bed a lot and it has been so easy to pop the rack off with the quick release and throw it in the gear tunnel for when I need the bed space.

For me, the carrier has been one of those rare products that I come to appreciate all the more, the more I use it. It's just a rock solid solution, from the construction of the product itself to how solidly it's mounted to the bed to how easy it is to use. It's been everything I was hoping for -- and I shopped/researched for a long time. If there's any downside I could point to, it's the fact that I have to have the tailgate down when hauling bikes, but honestly that really isn't an issue. I'm just nitpicking trying to come up with something to counterbalance my positive review/experience with the carrier.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the carrier either here or through direct message.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the product. Your post is what turned me on to this somewhat obscure solution and got me excited to move away from my hitch mounted 1up rack, which I love, but hate how it fits the R1.

Good to know that you don't have a problem with long, low and slack bike geos as well as heavy eMTBs. I have them all and want something that is going to be easy to use, flexible to use on many different bikes, sturdy and built to last. The Ride88 system seems to check all these boxes.

Have you had any trouble with the rear wheel sliding around on longer trips or rough roads? I will typically have 2 bikes in the bed for most of my rides and I'm concerned about having them drift into each other or the sidewalls of the bed. What if anything have you done to help mitigate this?

Thanks!
Sponsored