Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s not speculation. That’s what I’ve tried to convey to you. I disassembled that whole panel and looked at it first hand. There is not a part of the truck bed that is not structural. Also, what you refer to as small bolts are four substantial 10mm bolts. Further evidence of the strength of the box and those top four bolts in particular is the fact that other companies are engineering products to bolt into them — BuiltRight being another example.

It makes no difference to me if you choose not install anything in your bed, but I mention this so your comments don’t dissuade others based on your personal speculation, not facts, from making the most of their trucks if they choose to.
I will use a tension rod if I get a ride88 setup. I would not use those nutserts on the tonneau cover enclosure as tiedown or attachment points. It is unlikely they’re designed to have tension on them.

The lower ones, which are into the bed structure itself, would be a safer bet.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I will use a tension rod if I get a ride88 setup. I would not use those nutserts on the tonneau cover enclosure as tiedown or attachment points. It is unlikely they’re designed to have tension on them.

The lower ones, which are into the bed structure itself, would be a safer bet.
That’s your choice but you’re making innacurate assumptions about the top bolts. The plate those bolts thread into is structural. The top bolts are also the same size as the rest of the bolts used throughout the bed and they are all anchored into the structure of the truck. In fact, there is no part of the truck bed that is not tied into the structure of the truck — it would be insane to create a truck bed that wasn’t structural by nature.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well, I made a disappointing discovery, today. I tried loading my 29er in my R1T and there is simply no way to get it under the tonneau with the tailgate up. I thought I'd be able to take off the front tire and squeeze it in, but no, it doesn't fit.

I ended up taking the front tire off and sandwiching the tonneau against the handle bar. Not ideal. But it did work.

I guess I'll be putting down the $$$ for a rack. Dang it. I was really hoping I could secure the bike so I could run errands before/after without worrying about theft.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s your choice but you’re making innacurate assumptions about the top bolts. The plate those bolts thread into is structural. The top bolts are also the same size as the rest of the bolts used throughout the bed and they are all anchored into the structure of the truck. In fact, there is no part of the truck bed that is not tied into the structure of the truck — it would be insane to create a truck bed that wasn’t structural by nature.
”structural plate“ or not, I wouldn’t want to attach antpything to the tonneau cartridge.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
”structural plate“ or not, I wouldn’t want to attach antpything to the tonneau cartridge.
I'm not going to further engage with you on this. With respect, the unfortunate part is I'm sure you mean well but you really don't understand what you're saying and your comments could cause others to make decisions that aren't based in reality. Regardless, best of luck to you with your R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Wait, there are issues using a tailgate pad? Half of the point of me wanting a truck is to not need a rack for bikes.
Others are using tailgate pads with some success. That's the route I originally wanted to go, but the issues for me were:

1) Some people had dented the back of the tailgate along the seam that sticks out. The design of the R1T tailgate is unique which was causing the issue. In fairness, others have found pads that are thicker and have been using them without any denting issues.

2) Given the unique hinge on the tailgate and the floating plastic plate that slides into place when the tailgate is down, you have to lift that piece out of the way and use a bungy or tiedown to keep it up. Given that plate, it just makes strapping the tailgate pad on and taking it off more of a pain, but it's doable. I just wanted a simpler, more convenient solution.

3) The R1T is such a nice truck, I didn't want to deal with worrying about scratching the tailgate with a pad that's rubbing on it. If there were a pad that was specifically made for the R1T, I may have felt differently about that. To me the combination of not having a pad that's a tailor fit and extra complications strapping it/fitting it to the tailgate made me look for other options.

All this being said, I know there are people using tailgate pads who are happy with them. I just wanted something that worked better for my needs.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not going to further engage with you on this. With respect, the unfortunate part is I'm sure you mean well but you really don't understand what you're saying and your comments could cause others to make decisions that aren't based in reality. Regardless, best of luck to you with your R1T.
It’s an opinion, on the internet, worth as much as the paper it’s printed on.
”what I would do” isn’t “what other people should/would do”

you‘re acting like I’ve told someone to walk off a cliff because they’ll probably float like a leaf.

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thanks for sharing (with pictures). That looks like a well designed product. Though I personally doubt that set-up will cause any long-term issues as long as the mounting rail is strong and the bolts are the right length, please update if you run into any issues.

I’m still waiting on my truck so I have plenty of time to decide. 😀

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Wait, there are issues using a tailgate pad? Half of the point of me wanting a truck is to not need a rack for bikes.
I’ve used the Race Face T2 a number of times with no denting, scratching or other issues. I have not used bungie chords, tie downs or anything else and find no difficulties with getting the straps on the gate. I’m ok with the rack mentioned on this thread, but don’t want you to make decisions based on comments not based on reality. ;)

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler
Well, I made a disappointing discovery, today. I tried loading my 29er in my R1T and there is simply no way to get it under the tonneau with the tailgate up. I thought I'd be able to take off the front tire and squeeze it in, but no, it doesn't fit.

I ended up taking the front tire off and sandwiching the tonneau against the handle bar. Not ideal. But it did work.

I guess I'll be putting down the $$$ for a rack. Dang it. I was really hoping I could secure the bike so I could run errands before/after without worrying about theft.
Have you tried putting the rear seats up and storing it cross ways inside?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Have you tried putting the rear seats up and storing it cross ways inside?
I don't think it would fit, but no, I haven't actually tried it.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I have been researching for weeks for the ultimate bike carrier. I originally was going to go with a tailgate pad, but read about people denting the tailgate given its design and that had me worried. I also didn't want to be concerned with scratching the tailgate or messing around with installing/uninstalling the pad all the time.

I've been on the hunt for a rack that is secure (bolted into the truck), can hide under the tonneau without having to disconnect or uninstall anything and that I can quickly remove from the bed altogether and store in the gear tunnel if I need the bed space.

I have no affiliation with Ride88, but ended up buying a Rivian-specific package they've just dialed in. The owner was outstanding and answered all my questions (website is www.ride88.com). I installed it this morning and it was very easy. I just removed the black plastic covers on the back bed wall and used the bolts and utility track Ride88 provided for the Rivian. I am very impressed with the design and quality. I tested it with both my regular mountain bike and emtb (50 pounds) and they are completely secure. Everything is rock solid.

I was very happy to learn that I can load/unload the bikes easily from the side of the truck bed so I don't have to climb up when I take the bikes in and out. Because they are held at bed level, the bikes also easily fit under the top of the garage door opening. As I mentioned, the kit comes with the utility track, so I'm anxious to use that to mount up other things (just not sure what yet).

Just thought I would share because I know others are looking for a clean solution that's suitable for the R1T. For what it's worth, I also have a hitch mount, but it's heavy and awkward, so really wanted something to make life easier without compromising the safety/security of my bikes and truck.

33BD2AC6-A4FF-4234-ACFF-C17CA753917A.jpeg

B52D1A7B-DF08-4C4C-A334-6EF280B45E9C.jpeg

94C1D85C-9ABA-4BBD-8EAC-F56471B248D0.jpeg

4E8FF651-A3EA-40A6-B757-46A7306C0E38.jpeg

9D451586-4EA6-4D9C-B8B8-81AFEFDD6D1F.jpeg

332349B5-1838-4509-A359-E7E6684A9890.jpeg

5BF67268-1D1E-4667-B17B-EE1593B363A3.jpeg

357A8BE7-45CB-4C1F-8AD9-5051999F682D.jpeg

0E17DD25-9DEA-4995-A454-A26AB11AE2AA.jpeg

1DE57662-1D18-46D8-8C00-EBE3CE8E5597.jpeg

3988EA1A-2731-47A3-8126-D7D72B23A28F.jpeg

7CF3E527-6D98-405B-B43D-8F91CA6E3130.jpeg
Stop! That’s it! You and Ride88 win. For my money, that’s about as perfect a solution as there is. No drilling, using existing holes, removable and storable and keeps the bikes in the bed and low. It’s perfect.

Cycleman

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Wrangler
I don't think it would fit, but no, I haven't actually tried it.
Gotcha...That is what I want to try when I get mine..maybe with the front tire off?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Gotcha...That is what I want to try when I get mine..maybe with the front tire off?
I don't really want my MTB inside the cab. I rode yesterday, for example, and it got all muddy. I wanted the R1T so I could use the bed for such things.

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’ve used the Race Face T2 a number of times with no denting, scratching or other issues. I have not used bungie chords, tie downs or anything else and find no difficulties with getting the straps on the gate. I’m ok with the rack mentioned on this thread, but don’t want you to make decisions based on comments not based on reality. ;)
I’ll probably use both a pad and a mount. That’s what I have with my current truck and each serves certain applications better.
Sponsored