Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have been researching for weeks for the ultimate bike carrier. I originally was going to go with a tailgate pad, but read about people denting the tailgate given its design and that had me worried. I also didn't want to be concerned with scratching the tailgate or messing around with installing/uninstalling the pad all the time.

I've been on the hunt for a rack that is secure (bolted into the truck), can hide under the tonneau without having to disconnect or uninstall anything and that I can quickly remove from the bed altogether and store in the gear tunnel if I need the bed space.

I have no affiliation with Ride88, but ended up buying a Rivian-specific package they've just dialed in. The owner was outstanding and answered all my questions (website is www.ride88.com). I installed it this morning and it was very easy. I just removed the black plastic covers on the back bed wall and used the bolts and utility track Ride88 provided for the Rivian. I am very impressed with the design and quality. I tested it with both my regular mountain bike and emtb (50 pounds) and they are completely secure. Everything is rock solid.

I was very happy to learn that I can load/unload the bikes easily from the side of the truck bed so I don't have to climb up when I take the bikes in and out. Because they are held at bed level, the bikes also easily fit under the top of the garage door opening. As I mentioned, the kit comes with the utility track, so I'm anxious to use that to mount up other things (just not sure what yet).

Just thought I would share because I know others are looking for a clean solution that's suitable for the R1T. For what it's worth, I also have a hitch mount, but it's heavy and awkward, so really wanted something to make life easier without compromising the safety/security of my bikes and truck.

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 33BD2AC6-A4FF-4234-ACFF-C17CA753917A

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed B52D1A7B-DF08-4C4C-A334-6EF280B45E9C

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 94C1D85C-9ABA-4BBD-8EAC-F56471B248D0

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 4E8FF651-A3EA-40A6-B757-46A7306C0E38

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 9D451586-4EA6-4D9C-B8B8-81AFEFDD6D1F

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 332349B5-1838-4509-A359-E7E6684A9890

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 5BF67268-1D1E-4667-B17B-EE1593B363A3

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 357A8BE7-45CB-4C1F-8AD9-5051999F682D

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 0E17DD25-9DEA-4995-A454-A26AB11AE2AA

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 1DE57662-1D18-46D8-8C00-EBE3CE8E5597

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 3988EA1A-2731-47A3-8126-D7D72B23A28F

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 7CF3E527-6D98-405B-B43D-8F91CA6E3130
Sponsored

Last edited:

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
That looks a great option! If I hadn’t already purchased the Yakima HighSpeed mount I would gone for this one.

I don’t see the rivian option on their site, but looking at others I’m guessing this is about $400?

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
That looks a great option! If I hadn’t already purchased the Yakima HighSpeed mount I would gone for this one.

I don’t see the rivian option on their site, but looking at others I’m guessing this is about $400?
The price depends on how many bike carriers you want. I opted for two, but I think the one-bike option is less than $400. The owner can fill you in on details for Rivian -- it's new so isn't on the site yet, but just send an email to info on the site. He was very quick to respond to me and has built a great product.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’ve been eyeing the ride88 setup. This looks promising.

can you fit one bike on an angle with the tailgate closed?

Last edited:
OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I’ve been eyeing the ride88 setup. This looks promising.

can you fit one bike on an angle with the tailgate closed?
That is an interesting question. I'll have to try that tomorrow. I suppose it all depends on the length of the bike and how far over you choose to mount the front-wheel rack.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That is an interesting question. I'll have to try that tomorrow. I suppose it all depends on the length of the bike and how far over you choose to mount the front-wheel rack.
try it with the racks in your usual position for carrying two bikes?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don't understand the desire to screw stuff into the tonneau cover, that's where the upper screws go. It's probably really not a good idea long term.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I don't understand the desire to screw stuff into the tonneau cover, that's where the upper screws go. It's probably really not a good idea long term.
Nothing is being screwed into the tonneau cover. You are using the existing factory bolt holes that are built into the bed frame and simply using a longer bolt to secure a u-track over the top of the bed liner. No part of the truck is compromised or permanently altered.

Last edited:

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Nothing is being screwed into the tonneau cover. You are using the existing factory bolt holes that are built into the bed frame to secure the bed liner and simply using a longer bolt to secure a u-track over the top of the bed liner. No part of the truck is compromised or permanently altered.
I think it's actually the "box" that the cover stores in. You can see that the upper is a separate part than the bed structure itself in the teardown video. Using it as an attachment point could be a concern - especially if somebody used bolts that were too long and contacted the panels or placed a high enough load to deform the box.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Nothing is being screwed into the tonneau cover. You are using the existing factory bolt holes that are built into the bed frame and simply using a longer bolt to secure a u-track over the top of the bed liner. No part of the truck is compromised or permanently altered.
Those aren't the frame of the truck. They are into the tonneau cover frame.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Love that design. Is the rail the standard size that could be used with other accessories? There are tons of useful things that can be added to the Toyota bed rails.

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed 1657469318677

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Those aren't the frame of the truck. They are into the tonneau cover frame.
Do you think the bolts and frame holding the bed liner to the truck are that fragile? That is an area that is built to withstand shifting bed loads, things knocking into it, etc. There are four 10mm bolts holding that panel up across the top, which the u-track ties into and it is rock solid. I know that because I took them apart and installed the rack first hand so I say that from experience, not speculation.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
@Dark-Fx is correct. Take a look at this video and you can see what those bolts are attached to:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you think the bolts and frame holding the bed liner to the truck are that fragile? That is an area that is built to withstand shifting bed loads, things knocking into it, etc. There are four 10mm bolts holding that panel up across the top, which the u-track ties into and it is rock solid. I know that because I took them apart and installed the rack first hand so I say that from experience, not speculation.
Sure but you are putting loads on the bolts in a direction they are not designed to take. They are tiny bolts compared to the ones the actual tie downs use. Maybe mountain bikes arent a big enough load to matter but I see people using them as tie-downs for motorcycles. Take the whole panel out and use the ones that go into the tube frame at the bottom if you need another lower mounting point.

Feel free to not speculate I guess?

Rivian R1T R1S Ultimate MTB / Bike Carrier installed PXL_20220710_194210507

Last edited:
OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Sure but you are putting loads on the bolts in a direction they are not designed to take. They are tiny bolts compared to the ones the actual tie downs use. Maybe mountain bikes arent a big enough load to matter but I see people using them as tie-downs for motorcycles. Take the whole panel out and use the ones that go into the tube frame at the bottom if you need another lower mounting point.

Feel free to not speculate I guess?

PXL_20220710_194210507.jpg
It’s not speculation. That’s what I’ve tried to convey to you. I disassembled that whole panel and looked at it first hand. There is not a part of the truck bed that is not structural. Also, what you refer to as small bolts are four substantial 10mm bolts. Further evidence of the strength of the box and those top four bolts in particular is the fact that other companies are engineering products to bolt into them — BuiltRight being another example.

It makes no difference to me if you choose not install anything in your bed, but I mention this so your comments (based on your personal speculation, not facts) don’t dissuade others from making the most of their trucks if they choose to.
Sponsored

Last edited: