First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Ford's currently offering $12,500 retail bonus cash on the platinums, so those are likely the prices after applying the discount. Looks like a great deal especially if you qualify for the federal rebate too.

Like the OP said, the R1T is the better truck if the size is right for you. But if you need the interior space of a full size truck, the high end Lightning trim is looking pretty appealing.
The tax credit is based on msrp (excluding destination charge & add on items). Doesn't matter what you pay. IRS gets list of ViNs that qualify.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
It is indeed the one thing I miss from my MY ‘19 Tundra - the back seat was cavernous, and there was no complaining from those banished to its hinterlands (with Long Dog) because you needed to communicate via text message or loud bark to anyone else in the truck, as the distance between occupants was measured in parsecs.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Great writeup and thanks for taking the time to post. Glad you went with another electric vehicle. We obviously are pro-Rivian in here but in the end, we are all trying to empower electrification.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Always been a Ford fan, currently own a Bronco and have owned 6 or 7 other Fords over the last 15 years and I'd happily own a Lightning, but compared to the Rivian they're just boring. Rivian is just more interesting and fun and a perfect balance of sporty and comfortable for a daily driver.

But yea, the back seats aren't huge, and I can't imagine have 2-3 car seats in the back, it's a significantly smaller inside and out compared to an F150. If I used the back seat on a daily basis, I'd probably upgrade too, but as a single guy, Rivian all the way.

OP
OP

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Good write up and I can understand the need for the switch. Curious what sort of a deal you got on the Lightening and what sort of trade in for the R1T (don't feel the need to give actual numbers, ball park is fine).

I'm guessing all those Lightnings (with mark ups) gathering dust on lots should see prices start meeting reality.
I traded my R1T in for $57000. Lower than I wanted, but that is consistent with what other dealerships offered. Carvana and Vroom were offering $52000.

The MSRP for the Lariat ER was $78003. There was $5000 Ford cash + $7500 Federal Rebate + I negotiated an additional $2000 off. So final cost before taxes and fees was $63503. Pretty good considering 2022 Lariat ERs were selling for around $83000.

I took a loan for the difference between Lightning and the R1T, and will likely pay it off in a few months.

Sponsored

Ilovejunebugs

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition, F150 lightning
Occupation
business owner
Clubs

I have an R1T and my husband has a Lightning. He loves pretty much everything about it (and the fact that it was so similar to his previous F-150; he'd prefer to have higher charge speeds as the highest he's ever seen was 182kw). I like my smaller (but still very capable) R1T.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Planetary Science
I think that $900 of that $1000 *is* refundable.
Not according to Rivian's website.

When does my deposit become non-refundable?
For customers in the United States, your vehicle deposit will become non-refundable after you confirm your vehicle order.

This confirmation is your signal to Rivian to schedule production of your configured Rivian vehicle. As a reminder, your deposit is credited toward your vehicle’s purchase price.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Not according to Rivian's website.

When does my deposit become non-refundable?
For customers in the United States, your vehicle deposit will become non-refundable after you confirm your vehicle order.

This confirmation is your signal to Rivian to schedule production of your configured Rivian vehicle. As a reminder, your deposit is credited toward your vehicle’s purchase price.
Ah, I see. Once you have confirmed and they have (presumably) started building it, the deposit converts to nonrefundable.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Planetary Science
Ah, I see. Once you have confirmed and they have (presumably) started building it, the deposit converts to nonrefundable.
It seems it also applies to the vehicles that are in the shop and (presumably) already built.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

It seems it also applies to the vehicles that are in the shop and (presumably) already built.
Yeah, once you've committed to a specific vehicle, I think it becomes entirely non-refundable at that point. In my case, I was given a second chance to back out, because the power tonneau cover quit working after it got to the local SC, but before I picked it up. I did complete the purchase, however.
I guess it's just a different situation, now, since they are in full production, and the backlog is pretty much over. There's probably no reason to put down a deposit, unless you are selecting and confirming a particular vehicle.

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1 2023
Occupation
Whatever
I looked long and hard at the 2 - #1 Reason I went with Rivian was the 400 miles - else I would have went with Lightening.

Us guys who bought in the last 12 months and right now are giving away our $$$$ - ultimately the prices are going to drop a lot this year or they will not be selling much of them.

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
I test drove a Lightening and hated it. It felt just like my 2014 Chevy Silverado. The Rivian has a soul, the Ford was just a pile of metal on wheels. (IMHO)

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Great comparison! Very well written. Agree, it sounds like the Lightning is a better fit for your family. Congrats on the new truck. Hopefully when the kids are grown and out of the house, Rivian will still be around for you to give it another shot. 😉

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
WOW. Some big discounts on MSRP. I hope those dealers who wanted $25k over are feeling the squeeze now. Greedy [******]
Yeah, I'm shocked. I knew the Lightnings weren't exactly moving, but I didn't expect such huge discounts at this point. Man, I would have hated to be one of the people who paid well over MSRP for a Lightning.
Sponsored