Trade ins?

elda9000

First Name
dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes gla250 & 2019 Mercedes slc
Tesla offers a used car value feature and accepts trade-ins. Will Rivian do the same? Seems likely as not offering to take a trade-in would limit potential buyers.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Tesla offers a used car value feature and accepts trade-ins. Will Rivian do the same? Seems likely as not offering to take a trade-in would limit potential buyers.
I saw some replies from their CS that trade-ins will be accepted. The bad news is no leasing options as far as I know.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
From the Support Center, under How does delivery work?, yes they will be taking trade-ins.

"As production begins and we approach first deliveries we will be in touch to help you prepare for delivery based on your configuration, location and when you placed your preorder. At that time, you can complete any remaining steps to take delivery from your Rivian Account including finalizing your payment method and applying for financing, trading-in your current vehicle and completing any remaining documents. When it’s time to make your final payment, you’ll be able to do so directly in your Rivian app."

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
The bad news is no leasing options as far as I know.
You're correct.

From the Support Center:

Will you offer leasing?
No, we will not offer leasing as a purchase option at this time. You can however apply for financing through us, or bring your own. We’ll help you finalize your purchase method as we approach production and start accepting orders.

Personally, I'm pretty bummed by this. With the technology of EV's developing so quickly, I was hoping to lease for 3-4 years, instead of purchasing. I'm still hoping for a subscription program, since leasing is out. Apparently, they're still considering it. I asked, and they won't confirm or deny it as an option.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Tesla offers some of the worst trade-in valuations around, especially on their own vehicles. It's better to sell to a private party or major used car retailer such as CarMax. Hopefully Rivian can do better.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
You're correct.

From the Support Center:

Will you offer leasing?
No, we will not offer leasing as a purchase option at this time. You can however apply for financing through us, or bring your own. We’ll help you finalize your purchase method as we approach production and start accepting orders.

Personally, I'm pretty bummed by this. With the technology of EV's developing so quickly, I was hoping to lease for 3-4 years, instead of purchasing. I'm still hoping for a subscription program, since leasing is out. Apparently, they're still considering it. I asked, and they won't confirm or deny it as an option.
Ouch. Might have to downgrade to Explorer if Fisker doesn't kill it on the stock market by decision time.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You're correct.

From the Support Center:

Will you offer leasing?

Crap this is a huge bummer. I suppose they're using the same logic (EV tech developing so quickly) and not risking a prediction on what they think their vehicles are going to be worth in 3 years' time.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Remember that you don't lease from Ford either. Perhaps some third party will see an opportunity here. Don't despair just yet.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Crap this is a huge bummer. I suppose they're using the same logic (EV tech developing so quickly) and not risking a prediction on what they think their vehicles are going to be worth in 3 years' time.
Yeah, I can't say I blame them. That would be a massive risk. I don't think I'm going to like the interest on an 84 month loan though. Maybe Biden will come through with a rebate-rebate and not a tax rebate. And maybe Georgia will turn both their senators blue in a runoff. And maybe I'm a Chinese jetfighter pilot.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Remember that you don't lease from Ford either. Perhaps some third party will see an opportunity here. Don't despair just yet.
I'd be more optimistic if Cox wasn't their business partner because they're excited about the used market opportunity but still don't want to take on a lease valuation risk.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Does anybody have experience with Autotrader trade-ins? That would probably be the best guesstimate how generous or not Rivian's trade in values will be.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Does anybody have experience with Autotrader trade-ins? That would probably be the best guesstimate how generous or not Rivian's trade in values will be.
I think they just farm it out to the local dealers. Or maybe that is KBB? In that case, you need to be ready for emails and phone calls and text messages from car salespeople.

In my opinion, getting a quote from CarMax and Carvana are the best ways to find fair pricing for your vehicle.

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Historically dealer trade-ins are never favorable as they lowball the offers. Its a good to have option no doubt but I personally prefer selling the car myself to a private party. Regarding financing I always like to explore other options and chose the best terms before committing.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Here in WA as in a few other states, sales tax is computed on the net purchase when trading in. That bumps the effective value of a dealer trade in by 10%. Combine that with the reduced hassle of a separate transaction, and it starts to look pretty appealing.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA