Sponsored

Trade in R1 for refresh? What would it take?

TheRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack, '22 BMW X45e
For sh**ts and giggles, what would it take for you to trade your R1 for a refreshed model?

Currently have a R1S Dual Motor Max Pack. Would trade it if the refresh has:
  • Heat pump
  • NACS
  • New steering wheeL
  • Quieter air suspension/motors
  • Faster DC charging speeds
Sponsored

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

- Captains chairs
- Larger third row legroom or more cargo space in the rear (or both!)

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

For sh**ts and giggles, what would it take for you to trade your R1 for a refreshed model?

• Heat pump
  • NACS
  • New steering wheeL
Same

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Same pricing as current but you will get

R1S on R1T chassis

1000 hp enduro motors

lockers

800v architecture

optional captain chairs

automatic roof shade

high end audiophile grade speaker system

400 miles of range on standard battery

500 miles of range on large battery

600 miles with Max battery

Sponsored

beyond

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
The Cloud
Same pricing as current but you will get

R1S on R1T chassis

1000 hp enduro motors

lockers

800v architecture

optional captain chairs

automatic roof shade

high end audiophile grade speaker system

400 miles of range on standard battery

500 miles of range on large battery

600 miles with Max battery
So a monster size r1s? Might look a little too long honestly

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So a monster size r1s? Might look a little too long honestly

It would be slotted in between the Ford Expedition at 210" and Ford Expedition Max at 222". Similar to Tahoe and Suburban. The R1T is 217" which would be perfect for R1S with captain chairs and plenty of third row space for folks taller than 6' while having tons of storage space for luggage / strollers. Currently the R1S is 200".

I would expect this model / specs to come out probably couple years after the R2 is released and 1 year after the R3 is released.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I’m in my current R1T for a number of years no matter what. I normally try to keep cars for a decade. Maybe it will make sense to trade-up in 5ish years though, as the EV world is changing so fast.

I’m guessing the time I’m ready to start looking will be around the time we start seeing Silicon Anode or Solid State batteries hit the EV world, although I don’t know if Rivian will be a leader of that front.

The newest greatest technology of today will feel dated in 2-3 years. There’s a time to trade up, but it’s usually not every cycle refresh. It’s kinda like this.

In particular, I think upgrading for a NACS port is short sighted. Even with the Tesla availability, there’s many holes in the NACS network that require relying on CCS chargers. Making a $70k+ purchase just to use a a different adapter seems silly. Maybe wait a few years for NACS plugs to be ubiquitous before making that change.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I’m in my current R1T for a number of years no matter what. I normally try to keep cars for a decade. Maybe it will make sense to trade-up in 5ish years though, as the EV world is changing so fast.

I’m guessing the time I’m ready to start looking will be around the time we start seeing Silicon Anode or Solid State batteries hit the EV world, although I don’t know if Rivian will be a leader of that front.

The newest greatest technology of today will feel dated in 2-3 years. There’s a time to trade up, but it’s usually not every cycle refresh. It’s kinda like this.

In particular, I think upgrading for a NACS port is short sighted. Even with the Tesla availability, there’s many holes in the NACS network that require relying on CCS chargers. Making a $70k+ purchase just to use a a different adapter seems silly. Maybe wait a few years for NACS plugs to be ubiquitous before making that change.
I completely agree with this. I have no idea why so many are so obsessed with having a NACS port and viewing it as some game changer. As someone that loves the Supercharger network and has used it for multiple long road trips in my Tesla, i don’t see the issue using an adapter. 95% of charging is done at home anyway and I assume most people here don’t have a NACS home charger presently. Supercharger access was gamechanging, the port itself is irrelevant to me.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

An RCV would definitely do it.

Otherwise it's inevitable as soon as my roll over 60k miles.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

As others, I don’t see myself upgrading for a mild refresh any time soon. The R1 line has depreciated faster than I expected, even while accounting for an auto market reversion to normal. A coworker couldn’t sell his 20k mile R1T Launch Edition for $60k on the private market, so he’s trading it in this weekend. That’s about 35% depreciation in a year, which is twice what I was anticipating.

Anyway, to play the game, here’s what I expect to see:

-Heat Pump ( confirmed)
-Simplified wiring architecture (confirmed)
-Enduro Tri-motors (confirmed)
-New steering wheel
-Explore trim reintroduced
-Coil spring suspension option
-Changes to things like the rear spoiler that allow them to be reused after removal for glass replacement

In other words, not much. Here’s what I would want to see to consider an upgrade:

-Strong trade-in offer
-240v (split phase 120v) 40a onboard inverter
-Metal roof option
-Quieter shocks
-Rearward folding second row seat in R1T
-18-19” wheel option
-Overhead frunk lighting
-Frunk close button located in the frunk

The inverter is the only thing I assign any value to, that would be worth up to $10k to me, so I can realistically use the truck as whole house backup.

Ced

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S AT
It would be slotted in between the Ford Expedition at 210" and Ford Expedition Max at 222". Similar to Tahoe and Suburban. The R1T is 217" which would be perfect for R1S with captain chairs and plenty of third row space for folks taller than 6' while having tons of storage space for luggage / strollers. Currently the R1S is 200".

I would expect this model / specs to come out probably couple years after the R2 is released and 1 year after the R3 is released.
This! It’s 7ft to first row to tailgate, with a longer wheelbase, one could fit a 4x8 sheet. Plus have real cargo space behind the 3rd row. Drove 3 generations of Yukon XL Denali with captains chairs and the utility is unparalleled, especially with doggies traveling in the third row.

Reactions: sub

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

SSD resulting in much lighter weight vehicle at the same range.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
180+kWh battery. I don’t think they’ll do that, but whatever truck ships with that and decent charging speed will get my money. I love my R1, but it’s painful towing longer distance.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

• Heat pump
  • NACS
  • New steering wheeL
To the subject question, it would take a large check/pile of cash/loan. ;)
Sponsored