First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Has anyone commented on the headlight design? Assuming they ditched the Stadium design 4 lights/headlight just for test vehicles?
headlights.png
Probably for test vehicle. In the first production update video, you can see RJ unboxing the headlights. Those were probably the production version.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Has anyone commented on the headlight design? Assuming they ditched the Stadium design 4 lights/headlight just for test vehicles?
headlights.png
I would assume those are just for the test rig, yeah. The video posted earlier with the assembly line showed the quad-lights are still in play

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Has anyone commented on the headlight design?
Actually, I hadn't noticed headlights. Since they do have the expected lights on the pilot build vehicles, I expect they were just using this light system on this test vehicle (and possibly other test vehicles).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Anyone else catch the "Our target is to charge up to at least 440 for tomorrows testing" at ~2:20?

I think the "400+" will have more + than some have been anticipating

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Anyone else catch the "Our target is to charge up to at least 440 for tomorrows testing" at ~2:20?
No, I didn't catch that. Now I have to watch the video again and maybe again, sigh.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, this isn't the first time we've seen these blacked out headlights and light bar on the test vehicles. They've been in previous videos as well. Go back and look at the offroad stuff from AZ for example.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Yeah, this isn't the first time we've seen these blacked out headlights and light bar on the test vehicles. They've been in previous videos as well. Go back and look at the offroad stuff from AZ for example.
Yeah, I saw their response to someone's question, so I pasted it here too. Also the wrap won't be a production option. I didn't think that was even a possibility, but I remember someone asked in the past.

Matsayz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Y
Any word on payload or tongue weight? I’d love to be able to tow a 27ft+ Airstream Flying Cloud.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Any word on payload or tongue weight? I’d love to be able to tow a 27ft+ Airstream Flying Cloud.
11,000 lbs R1T
7,500 lbs R1S

Tongue weight is usually 10-15% of Gross Trailer Weight, but Rivian has not yet released an official spec for that (at least that I have seen).

Sponsored

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
My guess is you'll be well within the limits with a 27ft Airstream. Those run in the ~7700lb range with tongue weights around 750-800lbs. Since payload is 11,000lbs, it would be reasonable to have a tongue weight limit around 1,100lbs, otherwise one would have to tow a poorly balanced load.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Why does the R1S have a lower towing capacity than the R1T? It would seem to me, that the towing capacity should be similar since they share the same powertrain and frame.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Why does the R1S have a lower towing capacity than the R1T? It would seem to me, that the towing capacity should be similar since they share the same powertrain and frame.
My guess is that the suspension is prob a bit softer in the R1S for a better on road ride. I think in one of the events they mentioned that they could've increased the towing capacity of the R1T, but decided on different trade offs according to what they thought most buyers would appreciate. I guess the same could be said about the R1S.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Wheelbase. Longer wheelbase on the towing vehicle is more "stable" & also less prone to trailer sway.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
headlights.png
At about 18 seconds in you can see RJ holding what appear to be the final OEM headlights.

Sponsored