Sponsored

Towing -- real life

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are on how the R1T will work out in real life towing situations. Just because it's can tow 11,000# doesn't mean that will work well in reality. I currently have three things I tow: a 3 horse/stock trailer, a small "Happier Camper" with a GVW of < 1500#, and a small water-mosquito trailer on which I put a Vermont Fishing Dory, a boat similar to a canoe. The latter two I currently tow with a Subaru Forester. The Forester does fine with both, *except* you can't see squat behind you when towing the camper, which is a big negative. The horse trailer I tow with a beat up chevy with fixed side mirrors which stick way out.

I'm disappointed that Rivian trumpets in its marketing hoo-hah about how much they can tow, and yet doesn't offer extendable mirrors at least as an option. Not being able to see if traffic is stacking up behind you, not being able to see a semi bearing down on you at high speed, not being able to see to back up... these are common, important issues that any truck claiming to be a good tow vehicle needs to overcome.

My limited world view and experience says any load of more than 2000# is almost certainly too wide for the R1T's mirrors to deal with well. Whether stock trailer, contractor trailer, flatbed with machinery on it -- anything except a small water-sports or snowmobile type trailer or a homeowner garden cart is going to be a tow you won't be able to see behind.
Sponsored

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are on how the R1T will work out in real life towing situations. Just because it's can tow 11,000# doesn't mean that will work well in reality. I currently have three things I tow: a 3 horse/stock trailer, a small "Happier Camper" with a GVW of < 1500#, and a small water-mosquito trailer on which I put a Vermont Fishing Dory, a boat similar to a canoe. The latter two I currently tow with a Subaru Forester. The Forester does fine with both, *except* you can't see squat behind you when towing the camper, which is a big negative. The horse trailer I tow with a beat up chevy with fixed side mirrors which stick way out.

I'm disappointed that Rivian trumpets in its marketing hoo-hah about how much they can tow, and yet doesn't offer extendable mirrors at least as an option. Not being able to see if traffic is stacking up behind you, not being able to see a semi bearing down on you at high speed, not being able to see to back up... these are common, important issues that any truck claiming to be a good tow vehicle needs to overcome.

My limited world view and experience says any load of more than 2000# is almost certainly too wide for the R1T's mirrors to deal with well. Whether stock trailer, contractor trailer, flatbed with machinery on it -- anything except a small water-sports or snowmobile type trailer or a homeowner garden cart is going to be a tow you won't be able to see behind.
Your limited view (pun intended) has real world value. More so than most with the list of trailers you tow. Based on the specs I feel like you won't have any issues other than reduced mileage by weight and limited site distance.
As for extended mirrors. Probably something that will ramp up based on demand. Or not. I'm as interested in the trailer wiring harness and interface specs. Also curious on how the backup camera will adapt to all towing scenarios.

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As for extended mirrors. Probably something that will ramp up based on demand. Or not. I'm as interested in the trailer wiring harness and interface specs. Also curious on how the backup camera will adapt to all towing scenarios.
I'm hoping the extended mirror will show up as a retro-fittable option. Given the capabilities of the existing mirror, I'm not sure an after-market one will be an option. I'm just puzzled that it isn't there in the first place, as they are so common on vehicles that tow things and Rivian has all this hoopla about how much they can tow. Apparently that's mostly advertising, and they don't expect many people to actually tow significant loads. Judging by most of the responses I see on this forum, that's probably correct.
I'm also interested in how the backup will adapt to towing scenarios, or things like a bike rack mounted on the rear hitch.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm hoping the extended mirror will show up as a retro-fittable option. Given the capabilities of the existing mirror, I'm not sure an after-market one will be an option. I'm just puzzled that it isn't there in the first place, as they are so common on vehicles that tow things and Rivian has all this hoopla about how much they can tow. Apparently that's mostly advertising, and they don't expect many people to actually tow significant loads. Judging by most of the responses I see on this forum, that's probably correct.
I'm also interested in how the backup will adapt to towing scenarios, or things like a bike rack mounted on the rear hitch.
What other truck in the same size category has factory tow mirrors?

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I've done quite a bit of towing with vehicles that have tow mirrors and those that do not. My Expedition does not have tow mirrors. I purchased some on Amazon for around $15. They aren't pretty, but do that job. My wife hates the tow mirrors from the F150, so she would not let me retrofit those to the Expo.

CIPA 11950 Clip-On Towing Mirror Black & Silver, 15.75 Inch

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
What else in the same size category claims to tow as much?

I like a little Taxa Cricket camping trailer
for California fire evacuations.
2021-Cricket-1.jpg
Off the top of my head a Jeep Grand Cherokee tows 7200 lbs, and a range Rover tows up to 7700 lbs. For midsize trucks, I don't believe any of them tow more than 7700lbs either.

thehodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MS Raven
Off the top of my head a Jeep Grand Cherokee tows 7200 lbs, and a range Rover tows up to 7700 lbs. For midsize trucks, I don't believe any of them tow more than 7700lbs either.
Living in the proverbial boonies, I want the range if I tow, so I hope to end up with a narrow, lightweight trailer - no wider than the R1T. That way, I'll still have a little bit of mirror sticking out.

I'd want to look for back-of-trailer camera systems, too. Rivian might be more interested to talk about integrated camera solutions than re-designed mirrors.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What other truck in the same size category has factory tow mirrors?
I haven't a clue. I don't really care what other truck has factory tow mirrors. I'm saying that if you tout yourself as a great tow vehicle, you should come equipped to tow, or at a minimum provide as options what one needs to safely tow in real life. A quick search turns up oem F150 mirrors, so I'm presuming Ford does provide some. I would be surprised (pleasantly) if aftermarket mirrors have all the features included in the Rivian mirrors (auto (un)folding, tinting, defrost). There is also the "side mirror camera". I don't know exactly where that is, or if putting an aftermarket mirror on would affect use of that camera. If an aftermarket mirror can't provide the "normal" features of the regular mirror, it's probably not a very good replacement.

thehodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MS Raven
I made a post yesterday about trailers in the "Dear Rivian..." thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/dear-rivian-r1t-wishlist-below.2352/post-72888 - I think an integrated trailer system would be great.
I asked Taxa about "a trailer to charge my car as I towed " & they said they weren't planning anything like that. Also: it's probably a big jump to get an electric car to charge while it's moving down the road. Taxa is still my #1 choice for slow old people (me & missus), but there are some interesting things on the design horizon. Nothing available yet, but...
-
Here's a lightweight escape pod from Colorado Teardrops. I take points off for their low profile tire rendering, but GreenCarReports gave them a review.
-
An August 2021 review of a German proof-of-concept e-trailer from Dethleffs.
-
Another escape pod concept from Polydrops. They seem much farther along than the others.
Real tires, real movies, very lightweight.
-
I've seen some good looking heavy-duty caravans coming out of Australia, but what have you seen there that'll be lightweight & aerodynamic?

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO

I have towed a pretty good-sized travel trailer for 5+ years with my Volvo hybrid XC90. I use mirror extenders I purchased online -- they work great. Easy to put on and take off. Personally, I don't like big stick-out mirrows for everyday driving; they're unnecessary and ugly!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I have a ram 1500 that I pulled super-wide RVs with (102 inch, 8.5 feet), and I never felt I needed to buy the tow mirrors. A wireless backup camera off Amazon that you put on the dash and back of the RV helps.

The other loads you mention are typically not so wide. Horse trailer can be, but isn't always. Boat trailer should be an issue. Nor should any non-enclosed car/flatbead.

You really don't need to see behind you, just beside you. It feels weird for a while, then you realize it doesn't really make a difference.

So the Rivian is almost as wide as the F150 (not quite), so I suspect you'll be -ok-. It won't be like your Volvo/Subaru.

If not, hit up autozone and get a strap-on mirror.

I'm sure efficiency/drag also played a role in Rivian's decision.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I wouldn't expect them to offer factory tow mirrors, the aero impact will be devastating to your range.

I'm assuming they are willing to bet (and used when doing their own towing) that the multitude of cameras on board will make up for, or in some cases, be vastly better than, big ass tow mirrors.

That said, $15 on Amazon will probably fix it for ya for an ad hoc solution.
Sponsored