Sponsored

Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

*sigh*

Some people really are on the wrong side of history…

The writing is on the wall, we’re irreversibly moving to NACS continent wide. Your only concern should be how you are going to get there for your specific individual case.

Nothing more to be said!
Nobody is arguing the port - it's a matter of what platform is attached to it. Zippy longstocking and his friend sleepy are obsessed with citing statistics for when and how each manufacturer converts to NACS despite the fact not a single non-Tesla vehicle will be produced until 2025.

Meanwhile, as I have made clear repeatedly in this thread and others - the PORT DOESN"T MATTER.

It is the platform! CCS or NACS - if it is on a terrible platform, like most of the 3rd parties are using - your experience will be rubbish.

@Administrator please lock this thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MP3Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
We are not anti NACS people, we are anti monopolies. You are way behind my forum friend.
You are not anti monopoly if you want a government monopoly to mandate a plug standard. The worst kind of monopoly is the one with guns who can order you to do what they say, and put you in prison if you disobey. So really, you are not anti monopoly. You just want a monopoly that you agree with.

I think the free market should sort this out.

Let's stop worrying about what hasn't happened yet. I think it will be very hard for Tesla to change the NACS standard if it becomes the NA standard without agreement from the community of companies using it. If they do, and the community does not agree, there will be a lot of legal battles over who really controls the patent and I will bet you a beer Tesla losses in that situation.

So don't worry. Have a beer and enjoy your car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
actually, since I’m feeling bold, I got one more prediction for you: i’ll also meet you back here by 12/31/2025 once funding does not require CCS at a minimum. :) Since by then, it would be a clear waste of taxpayer dollars to continue to invest in CCS as very few if any CCS cars will be built beyond that. Focus on NACS and every existing CCS (like my R1T) can use an adapter.
What???? The government is wasting our money? No, that would never happen. Take it back.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

The real problem is that Tesla didn't come to the table in an honest way until the government said ccs1 will be the standard. There was no other choice because Tesla was still privatizing their connector with conditions. Tesla was seeing a repeat of the EU that would wipe out their connector and finally bent. The EU made the right choice because ccs2 is a much better connector for them though. They did it right but we are going to live with two connectors no matter how we slice it and probably a third one because chademo is easier to implement for retrofits due to the simplified logic.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When the math works in your favor - please learn about math before responding to this post - please come back and gloat.

Until then, give it a rest.
As you requested @SASSquatch, I'm back :) now that Volvo and MB have made their NACS/Tesla agreements. Or does that complex "math" of "dozens" of OEMs committed to CCS still work in CCS's favor?

Next bold prediction: within 90 days 2 or more EV makers on that list above will also pivot to NACS.
I guess only took a couple weeks (Volvo + MB).

Next prediction: 2 more OEMs in the next 90 days will have an agreement with Tesla. And to keep it spicy I'll even say 1 of them will be 1 of the last 2 major EV players (Kia or VW). If that happens will you finally admit CCS's days are numbered and the "math" works in NACS favor?

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

As you requested @SASSquatch, I'm back :) now that Volvo and MB have made their NACS/Tesla agreements. Or does that complex "math" of "dozens" of OEMs committed to CCS still work in CCS's favor?

I guess only took a couple weeks (Volvo + MB).

Next prediction: 2 more OEMs in the next 90 days will have an agreement with Tesla. And to keep it spicy I'll even say 1 of them will be 1 of the last 2 major EV players (Kia or VW). If that happens will you finally admit CCS's days are numbered and the "math" works in NACS favor?
Hmm let's check:

Still with CCS:
  1. Hyundai
  2. Lucid
  3. Volkswagen
  4. Toyota
  5. Nissan
  6. Stelantis
  7. Audi
  8. Mazda
  9. Fisker
  10. BMW
  11. Honda
  12. Porsche
  13. Jaguar
  14. Land Rover
  15. Chrysler
  16. Genesis
  17. Jeep
  18. Kia
  19. Lexus
  20. Mini Cooper
  21. Subaru
  22. Mitsubishi
  23. Vinfast
This list doesn't even include OEMs exclusively in other parts of the world.

Now, let's see who's NACS:
  1. Tesla
  2. Ford (estimated in 2025 - 0 NACS vehicles until then)
  3. GM (estimated in 2025 - 0 NACS vehicles until then)
  4. Rivian (estimated in 2025 - 0 NACS vehicles until then)
  5. Volvo (estimated in 2025 - 0 NACS vehicles until then)
  6. Polestar (estimated in 2025 - 0 NACS vehicles until then)
Seriously, math isn't your forte.

Also - enjoy your super crowded (and growing) Tesla NACS charging stations with tiny cables that will cause SC stations to resemble this:

Rivian R1T R1S Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer 1688759827654

I will enjoy the all of a sudden much less crowded CCS charging stations that are upgraded, like these new generation EA chargers that Clean Technica proclaimed are "awesome."

Note how the cables are long - with strain reducing pulley systems that allow you to reach to any port on any vehicle.

All EA chargers are getting upgraded to this standard.

Enjoy!

Rivian R1T R1S Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer 1688759851333

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hmm let's check:

Still with CCS:
  1. Hyundai
  2. Lucid
  3. Volkswagen
  4. Toyota
  5. Nissan
  6. Stelantis
  7. Audi
  8. Mazda
  9. Fisker
  10. BMW
  11. Honda
  12. Porsche
  13. Jaguar
  14. Land Rover
  15. Chrysler
  16. Genesis
  17. Jeep
  18. Kia
  19. Lexus
  20. Mini Cooper
  21. Subaru
  22. Mitsubishi
  23. Vinfast

1. Tesla
the best part of this list is the top list includes all the brands under the parent company but not the bottom list. you cant get more dishonest than that. Like just GM? No Chevy, GMC, Cadillac? But you list Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche...shouldn't that just be VW like the bottom list? Kia, Genesis & Hyundai? Like this is 3 different companies each making their own agreements? You need your math to play by the same rules. This post not only makes you look clueless to the reality around you but also appears super dishonest...

You ONLY listed Polestar because someone called you out on it and tried to play it as just "Volvo." Also what about MB's announcement today? No good? Just exclude it 100% from both lists

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hmm let's check:

Still with CCS:
  1. Hyundai
  2. Lucid
  3. Volkswagen
  4. Toyota
  5. Nissan
  6. Stelantis
  7. Audi
  8. Mazda
  9. Fisker
  10. BMW
  11. Honda
  12. Porsche
  13. Jaguar
  14. Land Rover
  15. Chrysler
  16. Genesis
  17. Jeep
  18. Kia
  19. Lexus
  20. Mini Cooper
  21. Subaru
  22. Mitsubishi
  23. Vinfast

1. Tesla
Seriously, math isn't your forte.

Also - enjoy your super crowded (and growing) Tesla NACS charging stations with tiny cables that will cause SC stations to resemble this:

1688759827654.png

I will enjoy the all of a sudden much less crowded CCS charging stations that are upgraded, like these new generation EA chargers that Clean Technica proclaimed are "awesome."

Note how the cables are long - with strain reducing pulley systems that allow you to reach to any port on any vehicle.

All EA chargers are getting upgraded to this standard.

Enjoy!

1688759851333.png
Here you go. took your super misleading list and fixed it for you. Next want to sum up the total EVs shipped in 2023 between the 2 lists for the sake of "math?"

Not NACS:
Hyundai/Kia/Genesis.
Lucid
Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche
Toyota/Lexus
Nissan
Stelantis/Chrysler/Jeep
Mazda
Fisker
BMW/Mini Cooper
Honda
Jaguar/Land Rover
Subaru
Mitsubishi
Vinfast

NACS:
Tesla
Ford
GM
Rivian
Volvo/Polestar
MB

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Here you go. took your super misleading list and fixed it for you. Next want to sum up the total EVs shipped in 2023 between the 2 lists for the sake of "math?"

Not NACS:
Hyundai/Kia/Genesis.
Lucid
Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche
Toyota/Lexus
Nissan
Stelantis/Chrysler/Jeep
Mazda
Fisker
BMW/Mini Cooper
Honda
Jaguar/Land Rover
Subaru
Mitsubishi
Vinfast

NACS:
Tesla
Ford
GM
Rivian
Volvo/Polestar
MB
Not sure why you keep bothering to post when your math still doesn't work. Fine, you rearranged my list from distinct brands to parent companies. Your math still doesn't work.

Also - it all seems beside the point anyway. NACS is going to get standardized and taken out of the hands of Tesla exclusively and then you will see plenty of 3rd parties making a mess of NACS charging stations just like they did with CCS.

The two largest producers of vehicles in the world by volume are Toyota and VW - both have committed to producing EVs and will undoubtedly be huge players in the EV market. They are unlikely to switch.

Hyundai who just moved ahead of GM in EV sales in the US to #2 and is absolutely skyrocketing in EV sales has poured cold water on NACS.

Take Home: CCS is here to stay. Tesla Supercharger Stations starting in 2024 are going to be a complete and total 💩 show.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure why you keep bothering to post when your math still doesn't work. Fine, you rearranged my list from distinct brands to parent companies. Your math still doesn't work.

Also - it all seems beside the point anyway. NACS is going to get standardized and taken out of the hands of Tesla exclusively and then you will see plenty of 3rd parties making a mess of NACS charging stations just like they did with CCS.

The two largest producers of vehicles in the world by volume are Toyota and VW - both have committed to producing EVs and will undoubtedly be huge players in the EV market. They are unlikely to switch.

Hyundai who just moved ahead of GM in EV sales in the US to #2 and is absolutely skyrocketing in EV sales has poured cold water on NACS.

Take Home: CCS is here to stay. Tesla Supercharger Stations starting in 2024 are going to be a complete and total 💩 show.
One of my top criteria for a vehicle is the ability to use the SC network. I will MUCH prefer the NACS way of connecting over an adapter. I will be glad to have an adapter for my existing car, but when it is time to replace it, you can bet I will seek out ones that naively support NACS.

How many people will behave like me? Who knows. But I bet a lot will. And the coolest part is the free market gets to choose. You choose CSS, I choose NACS. And then we will see which standard wins in the end. I have my bet on NACS...

Competition is the best way to decide these things IMO. You vote with your pocketbook, I vote with mine.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.