First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
I have the same issue with my tonneau now. It used to close nice and tight but now has a gap to the tailgate.

I did find two things that help.
1) recalibrate the tonneau. Start with the cover fully open fully closed. Press the tonneau button 3 times and then press and hold (press, press, press, press&hold). This made mine better, but still has a small gap.
2) when closing the cover, hold the button down. My cover fully closes to the tailgate when I do this.

It still needs a real fix, but this helps for now
Mine works as long as I hold button down. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work!
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I am planning to pre-emptively apply the dry graphite lube when my truck arrives next week. Stumbled on this CRC dry PTFE alternative. I have no experience with either product so any thoughts on which might be better...graphite or PTFE?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
For those that have tried the dry lube - any reports? I assume you're just spraying it in the track on each side? Any other parts you're applying it to?

Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
Yes, I'm familiar with that hence why I mentioned it. Just curious if anyone knew if PTFE would be "better". I assume what you're saying is stay with the dry graphite 🤷‍♂️
Yes, the dry does not attract dust like the PTFE does.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, the dry does not attract dust like the PTFE does.
Thanks. It says “dry PTFE” as well. I’m just not familiar with the products.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. Was closing the tonneau cover and about 3/4 of the way, it made a strange sound. Pushed the button to stop it, then pushed again to restart to see if the noise returned. It attempted to retract (expected behavior) except only the left side was retracting. This created a imbalance situation with the cover plates. Hit button again to attempt to extend the cover and even out the cover. That did nothing and upon hitting the button one last time, left side retracted more. Called service and they are investigating but to me is looks like the right side motor or retraction system has failed completely. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg
Amongst other issues, I'm having the same issues with my tonneau cover. I'm taking my vehicle in for service on Friday to address my other issues. I hope they can add this to the work order. I will keep you posted. I've only opened and closed my cover three times and its pretty much stuck in the same position as yours.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
Our delivery is tomorrow, and they just let me know that the 'new cover' didn't come in, so they'll be delivering with the cover locked open, until it can be replaced. I'm ok with that, I think, since I have a whole truck to play with, but hopefully it won't be months.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Our delivery is tomorrow, and they just let me know that the 'new cover' didn't come in, so they'll be delivering with the cover locked open, until it can be replaced. I'm ok with that, I think, since I have a whole truck to play with, but hopefully it won't be months.
VERY INTERESTING!!! Obviously shows they know there is a major problem AND I'm thrilled they will be replacing these defective ones with the "new cover"!!! Great to hear!!

Sponsored

tcsm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Hyundai Kona Electric
Had my R1T for a week, just did 5 miles on a dirt road and Tonneau cover wouldn’t open. Poured a water bottle over it and it then opened without issues.

I suspect they will need to find a long term fix for this.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've said it before, and at the risk of beating a dead horse - just because you CAN automate something doesn't mean you SHOULD. It's one of the reasons I changed my order from an R1T to an R1S. After I saw and heard videos of it, I was very skeptical.

It really sucks that it's so unreliable. Design over function, ugh.
The concept is good, the execution is “so it turns out we have a budget now…”

I’m sticking with the power cover because i want push-button convenience on my $130k toy 😂

it‘ll be more refined by the time I get mine. Probably.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Had a first mile drive recently. Learned a tidbit regarding a tonneau cover design upgrade. The service person said the current design uses one motor to retract the cover. The one motor pulls the cover in unevenly and it can bind. The upgrade coming later this year adds a second motor on the other side to pull the cover in evenly and reduce the chance of binding. He said it will be a free upgrade for all existing trucks.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Had a first mile drive recently. Learned a tidbit regarding a tonneau cover design upgrade. The service person said the current design uses one motor to retract the cover. The one motor pulls the cover in unevenly and it can bind. The upgrade coming later this year adds a second motor on the other side to pull the cover in evenly and reduce the chance of binding. He said it will be a free upgrade for all existing trucks.
I've heard similar rumblings in the past from folks who heard from service. Hopefully is true.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The concept is good, the execution is “so it turns out we have a budget now…”

I’m sticking with the power cover because i want push-button convenience on my $130k toy 😂

it‘ll be more refined by the time I get mine. Probably.
I see it as a positive, because I'm going to get a brand new cover mid ownership. Two for the price of one. Heck, maybe I'll even get 3, 4 or 5. The only issue with the powered option is if it isn't reliable after the warranty period, but they have 5 years to figure it out. And even then, you can also just put a manual one on there if that time comes.

So, especially for LE where it's standard/free, I see no downside and all upside.
Sponsored