Sponsored

Tire Sizes

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Looks like LT is out and passenger vehicle is in. This definitely explains why on-road performance is sporty and responsive. I'm sure they did this for ride quality and noise as well. Not a bad option, but for those going off-road (rocks) you will want LT tires or you have a much higher likelihood of having a blowout, as we saw in the reviews.
from the wording in the pirelli information, it sounds like they’ve used LT compounds(more resistant to stone chips etc). on a pmetric carcass.

The primary difference with LT tires is load rating. You can carry more weight at higher pressures.
Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I suspect weight was the biggest factor. There's a range/weight penalty jumping to a real, LT, all-terrain tire. I'm a little surprised by the quoted 10%-15% loss from their street 21's to their AT 20s. Having upgraded tires in the past on ICE vehicles, I've found I lose about 3% going to a 10-15lb heavier tire, and about 5% going to an inch taller+heavier tire. I've lost a full 10% by increasing tire weight 20+lbs and gaining 3" in diameter though, but we're only talking an inch difference in tire height and 10lbs of weight with the R1x.
Some of that difference has to be tread pattern, too. When you upgraded, did you upgrade to a similar style tread? That would explain the bigger difference going from the 21" low rolling resistance road tires to the AT's.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Some of that difference has to be tread pattern, too. When you upgraded, did you upgrade to a similar style tread? That would explain the bigger difference going from the 21" low rolling resistance road tires to the AT's.
Each increase above is to a more aggressive tread pattern. From highway tires to all-terrain, or all-terrain to mud tires. You do bring up a good point about the LRR tires though and I don't have enough experience with those to say how much of a difference they make.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Worth noting the pirelli scorpion is available in metric and LT depending on size. Tread pattern is the same.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I haven't seen this posted before. I currently have the R1T configured w/ the 20" rims. I believe they will come with 275/65 R20 tires.
I will be using my truck primarily on road, in snow in winter, etc. no real off-roading, etc.
If I choose to replace the tires for daily driving, do I need to replace with 275/65/20 tires, or are other sizes appropriate? If so which sizes?

Thanks!
If you're doing mostly highway, get the 21" wheels. Saves you $ you can use to get whatever off road wheels and tires you want, and the 21" are the most efficient.

Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
If you're doing mostly highway, get the 21" wheels. Saves you $ you can use to get whatever off road wheels and tires you want, and the 21" are the most efficient.
I also want the 20 inch rims and AT tires, and that is what I have configured as well. As a LE preholder, the 20"AT tires are a free upgrade. I am simply going to purchase some 20" AS road tires if the range on the AT tires is insufficient for my needs. I looked at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II | 275/60R20 (tirerack.com) as an option. I am not sure I want both 20" rims and 21" rims just to have AT and road tires. Wish Rivian had a 20" AS option, but they do not...

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I wonder how long before you will be able to order rims and tires.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I also want the 20 inch rims and AT tires, and that is what I have configured as well. As a LE preholder, the 20"AT tires are a free upgrade. I am simply going to purchase some 20" AS road tires if the range on the AT tires is insufficient for my needs. I looked at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II | 275/60R20 (tirerack.com) as an option. I am not sure I want both 20" rims and 21" rims just to have AT and road tires. Wish Rivian had a 20" AS option, but they do not...
In agreement with you..and I’m beginning to come around to that idea, but eventually with 2 sets of the Rivian 20” rims. A few things:

- as of today I see the noted Verde AS 275/60R20 is listed as ‘Special/Closeout’ on TireRack, I hope this size isn’t going out of production…
- I see it showing as 40 lbs, so very reasonable vs. the Rivian version 21” of 37 lbs. And the load rating is very close too.
- I’m assuming/guessing the Rivian 20” forged rim could weigh less or close to the Rivian 21” cast rim. If so..then that 20” tire-rim combo might be very close to the 21” wheelset weight, and impact range only slightly (possibly less than the 22” option).
- my use of 2 sets of 20” rims; one for dedicated winter tires; the other for local summer travel here in the mountains (dirt roads, jeep trails, day-to-day, etc) with the AT, but also swapping to the AS rubber for cross country trips.
- towing range is my last consideration..but still have a lot of time to see other user results.
- Max Pack option may complicate things w/regard to load rating, but I think it’d still be good with a 115 rating for my trailer.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
In agreement with you..and I’m beginning to come around to that idea, but eventually with 2 sets of the Rivian 20” rims. A few things:

- as of today I see the noted Verde AS 275/60R20 is listed as ‘Special/Closeout’ on TireRack, I hope this size isn’t going out of production…
- I see it showing as 40 lbs, so very reasonable vs. the Rivian version 21” of 37 lbs. And the load rating is very close too.
- I’m assuming/guessing the Rivian 20” forged rim could weigh less or close to the Rivian 21” cast rim. If so..then that 20” tire-rim combo might be very close to the 21” wheelset weight, and impact range only slightly (possibly less than the 22” option).
- my use of 2 sets of 20” rims; one for dedicated winter tires; the other for local summer travel here in the mountains (dirt roads, jeep trails, day-to-day, etc) with the AT, but also swapping to the AS rubber for cross country trips.
- towing range is my last consideration..but still have a lot of time to see other user results.
- Max Pack option may complicate things w/regard to load rating, but I think it’d still be good with a 115 rating for my trailer.
I think they're just phasing out that specific model (Verde All Season) in favor of the Verde All Season Plus II. I'm not sure what the "Plus" adds though. That tire is available in 275/60R20.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
If I were to put all-season tires on the 20" wheels, I'd probably go with the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. The description doesn't mention low rolling resistance but it has to be better than the all-terrain tires.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I were to put all-season tires on the 20" wheels, I'd probably go with the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. The description doesn't mention low rolling resistance but it has to be better than the all-terrain tires.
Their low rolling resistant tires are branded Scorpion Verde AS xxx. That’s the sub-line that Rivian is using for its 21” AS.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
The Scorpion Verde AS Plus are great tires. They have proper load ratings for heavier EVs and long tread life, handle great in most road and weather conditions. I’ve run the series II variant on Ford Explorers and the Tesla Model X. Got over 45K miles with them in the X.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
275/60R20 works out to 33" OD, which is very close to the 32.9" OD of the factory 21" option (275/55R21). It's just 1 extra revolution per mile:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.49.18 AM.png
Auto - thanks, this is really helpful.

Does the information here support the conclusion that you could by the 20 inch wheels with the Rivian AT tires, and then at your leisure, swap out the tires for an all weather tire that would get better efficiency than the AT tires?

I think that is the conclusion suggested, but only understand the very basics around a smaller wheel/rim leading to less drag, but then the big ol' AT tire increasing drag, leading to the 10-15% mileage decline.

I think between conserve mode and the right all weather tire on the 20 wheel, you could make up most of that mileage difference as we have seen 302 miles with conserve mode.

Thanks in advance. Considering 20 inch wheels with the AT tires for my LE ('free' 20 in wheels) but want the ability to enhance range over that in the winter.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Auto - thanks, this is really helpful.

Does the information here support the conclusion that you could by the 20 inch wheels with the Rivian AT tires, and then at your leisure, swap out the tires for an all weather tire that would get better efficiency than the AT tires?

I think that is the conclusion suggested, but only understand the very basics around a smaller wheel/rim leading to less drag, but then the big ol' AT tire increasing drag, leading to the 10-15% mileage decline.

I think between conserve mode and the right all weather tire on the 20 wheel, you could make up most of that mileage difference as we have seen 302 miles with conserve mode.

Thanks in advance. Considering 20 inch wheels with the AT tires for my LE ('free' 20 in wheels) but want the ability to enhance range over that in the winter.
I’m really not sure of all implications of that strategy. At least some of the range loss is probably from aerodynamics. The wheels used for the 21” option have aero inserts that surely make some difference. I think the Tesla aero inserts make a difference of about 5% even on the exact same car and tires.

But using a low rolling resistance tire with an AS tread pattern on the 20” rims should absolutely give better range than the standard AT tire on those rims.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I’m really not sure of all implications of that strategy. At least some of the range loss is probably from aerodynamics. The wheels used for the 21” option have aero inserts that surely make some difference. I think the Tesla aero inserts make a difference of about 5% even on the exact same car and tires.

But using a low rolling resistance tire with an AS tread pattern on the 20” rims should absolutely give better range than the standard AT tire on those rims.
Thanks, this is what I figured and very helpful. AS is all season, I infer.
Sponsored