Tire Sizes

AwaitingMyRivian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 BMW 330 Cic, 14 Jeep GC
I haven't seen this posted before. I currently have the R1T configured w/ the 20" rims. I believe they will come with 275/65 R20 tires.
I will be using my truck primarily on road, in snow in winter, etc. no real off-roading, etc.
If I choose to replace the tires for daily driving, do I need to replace with 275/65/20 tires, or are other sizes appropriate? If so which sizes?

Thanks!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I haven't seen this posted before. I currently have the R1T configured w/ the 20" rims. I believe they will come with 275/65 R20 tires.
I will be using my truck primarily on road, in snow in winter, etc. no real off-roading, etc.
If I choose to replace the tires for daily driving, do I need to replace with 275/65/20 tires, or are other sizes appropriate? If so which sizes?

Thanks!
Pick a tire size with the same OD as it came with.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Pick a size with the same OD.
Make sure it has spinners though... and maybe some ground effects!

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Sizes Hurrrrrraaaaay

In all seriousness though, anything that matches the lug pattern and you are fine. I would, however, recommend getting as small of a wheel (rim) as you can and as smooth/flush as you can. EV's take a big hit from the drag your wheel and tires will make.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Make sure it has spinners though... and maybe some ground effects!

Hurrrrrraaaaay.gif

In all seriousness though, anything that matches the lug pattern and you are fine. I would, however, recommend getting as small of a wheel (rim) as you can and as smooth/flush as you can. EV's take a big hit from the drag your wheel and tires will make.
Seems like they’re only contemplating changing tires, not the wheels.

20” appears to be smallest wheel size that will clear the front brakes.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
The only other size would be 275/60/20 (33" OD, very close to 21" tires). Lots of options in that size, including the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 and Nokian Hakka R3 SUV tires.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Dealers and some time shops have been able to recalibrate the speedometer for different tire sizes on every other car, I'm really hoping Rivian doesn't make this a pain because like the OP I'd much rather just run the smallest wheel with a smaller tire. It's going to be better for dynamics, driving range, and cost of ownership on something like a very common 275/55/R20 than the OEM size (and the 21 is just too much of an oddball.)

The tire size options feel a bit at odds with what they want to accomplish here. This is a Range Rover replacement, not a hardcore off roader. 20" wheels and air suspension are a bad fit for recreational trail running and I think that's partly why we're seeing so many reviewers pop flats on these trucks.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The tire size options feel a bit at odds with what they want to accomplish here. This is a Range Rover replacement, not a hardcore off roader. 20" wheels and air suspension are a bad fit for recreational trail running and I think that's partly why we're seeing so many reviewers pop flats on these trucks.
have you seen the wheel and tire options on any Land Rover product lately? Nothing remotely off road oriented, save for on the new defender.

A lack of sidewall heoght is not the issue with flats on the press drives. A very heavy vehicle and pointy rocks is.

looks like they only had 2-3 flats in the whole group on the Colorado press events. I think motor trend only had one or two for the whole TAT, the Ram TRX they brought along did worse.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Dealers and some time shops have been able to recalibrate the speedometer for different tire sizes on every other car, I'm really hoping Rivian doesn't make this a pain because like the OP I'd much rather just run the smallest wheel with a smaller tire. It's going to be better for dynamics, driving range, and cost of ownership on something like a very common 275/55/R20 than the OEM size (and the 21 is just too much of an oddball.)

In my experience air suspension is an outstanding fit for a vehicle which is used on road and off road. It seems to be the best way to get great handling at highway speeds, great capability off-road, and fantastic ride comfort for both. That’s what we’ve seen with our 2006 Land Rover LR3 which doesn’t have the advantage of the hydraulic linked dampers in the Rivian.

The trick is that you don’t drive the same way you’d drive if you had coil springs and solid axles.

Oh, and using the side view cameras (or a spotter if you are in something older) to avoid the pointy rocks should prevent the popped tires. I’d be willing to be that reviewers driving press cars aren‘t as concerned about this because they are trying to keep up with the pack, they’re probably paying more attention to their on-camera performance than their off-road driving, and they aren’t paying for the replacement tires.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
In my experience air suspension is an outstanding fit for a vehicle which is used on road and off road. It seems to be the best way to get great handling at highway speeds, great capability off-road, and fantastic ride comfort for both. That’s what we’ve seen with our 2006 Land Rover LR3 which doesn’t have the advantage of the hydraulic linked dampers in the Rivian.

The trick is that you don’t drive the same way you’d drive if you had coil springs and solid axles.
I expect it to be very good on road and capable enough to get places in a pinch and the suspension looks great for mixed use. I'm less stoked about the tire options for mixed use, a 34" tire is just too much IMO and the alternative 21" wheel option is not desirable for how oddball and heavy it is. I reckon to bet most of these trucks will be driven 95% on road and 5% dirt/camp roads at best.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, you drive down the path or you don't. Other than perhaps going even slower you don't have much choice, it's just going to be bouncy since high ride height = high spring rate in air suspension.

looks like they only had 2-3 flats in the whole group on the Colorado press events. I think motor trend only had one or two for the whole TAT, the Ram TRX they brought along did worse.
I didn't count instances - it just felt like every review I saw hit flats on relatively calm trails.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I expect it to be very good on road and capable enough to get places in a pinch and the suspension looks great for mixed use. I'm less stoked about the tire options for mixed use, a 34" tire is just too much IMO and the alternative 21" wheel option is not desirable for how oddball and heavy it is. I reckon to bet most of these trucks will be driven 95% on road and 5% dirt/camp roads at best.
Some people say 34” diameter isn’t enough and some people say 34” is too much. I think it makes sense to hold judgement until people can drive the vehicles in real-world scenarios to see how the entire system (wheel/tires + suspension + drive units/traction control) does. I say that as someone who has gotten funny looks from people in modded Jeeps or side-by-sides who cannot believe that a 6,000+ Land Rover with 6 adults in it has gotten where they are.

Your 95%/5% numbers are off because I know that our R1S will see rock crawling on the way to some destinations.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, you drive down the path or you don't. Other than perhaps going even slower you don't have much choice, it's just going to be bouncy since high ride height = high spring rate in air suspension.
If you are on a path which is bumpy, rutted, or otherwise lacking in serious obstacles then you’re probably going to be at normal height in a normal drive mode. When rock crawling, the driver of a vehicle with a solid axle and metal springs will treat obstacles as things to be driven ON to protect the differentials hanging low in the center. With independent suspension and, ideally, with air springs you treat obstacles as things to be ABOVE.

The old-school solid axle drivers scoff at the concept of independent suspensions off road because they imagine how it just wouldn’t work given how they approach things. They never consider changing their driving tactics to suit the hardware. Then they start chest thumping about articulation, not realizing that in a modern vehicle driven sanely it doesn’t matter if a wheel comes off the ground because you have traction control to make sure that power is going to the wheels with grip.

Regarding the air springs being bouncy at high ride heights, with our Land Rover that isn’t the case. I don’t know if it is the sheer weight of the vehicle or something else Land Rover did in the early 2000s when designing the suspension, but I am confident that Rivian’s will be at least as good given the comments from those who have driven them.

I didn't count instances - it just felt like every review I saw hit flats on relatively calm trails.
You have to be alert while driving. Trying to narrate a video while chatting with others in the vehicle counts as distracted driving in my book. The one time I popped a tire on a shelf road to a mine, I had 4 passengers in the car all asking me questions while I was trying to be tour guide and stick to a schedule. While going faster than I would have otherwise, I took the “safe” line closer to the uphill side than the drop-off. I didn’t notice a sharp rock and sliced open the sidewall with a comically loud POP. That was the first time in my life I had to change a tire and it went quickly but no spare = no more off-road touring for the day. :confused:

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There's something everyone considering an alternate tire needs to be aware of, but I have not seen it discussed in any thread. Wait for it.....

LOAD RANGE RATING

We know the RIvian is a heavy vehicle, in excess of 6,000 pounds curb weight, and has a significant towing tongue weight (I think I saw over 1,000 lbs for the R1T). Load Range Rating matters.

As an example, the RIV rated Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 275/55R21 is load range 115H, accrding to the Pirelli web site. That's 2679 lbs load capacity. Conversely, if you search up a similar tire sized for the Range Rover Discovery, it's 110W which is 2337 lbs.

Why should you care? If you are loading up and towing a trailer, it makes a difference in both handling and safety. The properly rated tires will be stiffer, which improves handling when heavily loaded, as well as not overheating the tire, due to excessive sidewall flexing under the heavy load, and that is also a factor in range.

You might be able to find a load range 100 tire (1764 lbs) that would fit a Rivian wheel, but that would be really dangerous - 7000 lbs load capacity on a vehicle with a curb weight over 6000 pounds? With 4 adults in the vehicle, you are close to, or over the limit. That's a blowout waiting to happen, and your range would suck, because significant energy will be lost as heat in the tire flexing as it rotates.

Load Range Rating matters.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Sizes 1633614668378

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

There's something everyone considering an alternate tire needs to be aware of, but I have not seen it discussed in any thread. Wait for it.....

LOAD RANGE RATING

We know the RIvian is a heavy vehicle, in excess of 6,000 pounds curb weight, and has a significant towing tongue weight (I think I saw over 1,000 lbs for the R1T). Load Range Rating matters.

As an example, the RIV rated Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season 275/55R21 is load range 115H, accrding to the Pirelli web site. That's 2679 lbs load capacity. Conversely, if you search up a similar tire sized for the Range Rover Discovery, it's 110W which is 2337 lbs.

Why should you care? If you are loading up and towing a trailer, it makes a difference in both handling and safety. The properly rated tires will be stiffer, which improves handling when heavily loaded, as well as not overheating the tire, due to excessive sidewall flexing under the heavy load, and that is also a factor in range.

You might be able to find a load range 100 tire (1764 lbs) that would fit a Rivian wheel, but that would be really dangerous - 7000 lbs load capacity on a vehicle with a curb weight over 6000 pounds? With 4 adults in the vehicle, you are close to, or over the limit. That's a blowout waiting to happen, and your range would suck, because significant energy will be lost as heat in the tire flexing as it rotates.

1633614668378.png
Excellent point. I haven’t shopped for different tires recently but I remember that was a critical consideration when I did.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser

LOAD RANGE RATING

1633614668378.png
In related news, to achieve that load-rating, every tire on the market is heavier than the Pirelli's offered, both all-season and all-terrain. The stock 21" tire is only 38lbs while the 20" tire is 48lbs. Most that drive Jeeps and lighter off-road vehicles know that it's almost impossible to get larger 34"-35" tires in anything but E-range nowadays, and those are very heavy.

In looking at other 20" tires, the lightest I've found in the stock size that meet load-ratings are the Toyo AT III at 55lbs, and several at 57lbs (Firestone M/T 2, BFG AT T/A KO2, and Goodyear Duratrac) with most others in the mid-60lb to low 70lb range. That will be quite bad for range.

I'm wondering about a shorter 20" tire in the same height as the 275/55R21 stock all season tire size. Surely the vehicle can be easily changed between the 34" tire and 33" tire size that are available...

Personally, I'll probably run a full mud terrain on my R1S daily and swap to the stock all-season setup for longer road trips.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
In related news, to achieve that load-rating, every tire on the market is heavier than the Pirelli's offered, both all-season and all-terrain. The stock 21" tire is only 38lbs while the 20" tire is 48lbs. Most that drive Jeeps and lighter off-road vehicles know that it's almost impossible to get larger 34"-35" tires in anything but E-range nowadays, and those are very heavy.

In looking at other 20" tires, the lightest I've found in the stock size that meet load-ratings are the Toyo AT III at 55lbs, and several at 57lbs (Firestone M/T 2, BFG AT T/A KO2, and Goodyear Duratrac) with most others in the mid-60lb to low 70lb range. That will be quite bad for range.

I'm wondering about a shorter 20" tire in the same height as the 275/55R21 stock all season tire size. Surely the vehicle can be easily changed between the 34" tire and 33" tire size that are available...

Personally, I'll probably run a full mud terrain on my R1S daily and swap to the stock all-season setup for longer road trips.
275/60R20 works out to 33" OD, which is very close to the 32.9" OD of the factory 21" option (275/55R21). It's just 1 extra revolution per mile:

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Sizes Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.49.18 AM

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
275/60R20 works out to 33" OD, which is very close to the 32.9" OD of the factory 21" option (275/55R21). It's just 1 extra revolution per mile:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.49.18 AM.png
Exactly. Is tire diameter/size user-configurable though? I'd likely run that size in a street tire on a 20" wheel. That's the same size I used to run on my Silverado (lowered 2wd) with performance summer tires, and handling was improved night and day over all-seasons.
I'd still like to swap to a larger off-road tire and just change settings on the main screen.

Heck, maybe they've integrated the GPS with the settings so it auto-detects and auto-corrects the speedometer.
Sponsored