Sponsored

Time to start R1 refresh rumors, perhaps!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Mine R1T is weak. The heated wheels in the Jeeps can almost burn....and I like that. I have cold hands....
I'm basically a dead man walking so I need the energy it provides through my frozen hands.

The heated steering wheel in the Jeep was so nice. Heck I could have the top down on a fairly cold day and I'd get warmth from it, and the heated seats.

From my measurements even the Jeep was quite a bit below burning so I don't feel like it was a risk burn wise.

That being said I wouldn't mind a two stage heater as we all have our preferences.

One setting for healthy vegans.
One setting for the walking dead who still eat meat and ice cream

My other complaint is it doesn't automatically turn on in the cold like the Jeep would.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm basically a dead man walking so I need the energy it provides through my frozen hands.

The heated steering wheel in the Jeep was so nice. Heck I could have the top down on a fairly cold day and I'd get warmth from it, and the heated seats.

From my measurements even the Jeep was quite a bit below burning so I don't feel like it was a risk burn wise.

That being said I wouldn't mind a two stage heater as we all have our preferences.

My other complaint is it doesn't automatically turn on in the cold like the Jeep would.
I agree on both. I would love ability to have a setting that I could just trigger preheat cabin, to my preset preferences...and then a timer so I know how long I have until I have to cycle it on again if I don't make it to truck in time.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
155/70R19 tire option for the hypermilers....

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Revised user manual and OTA update.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Since this is supposedly a cost cutting refresh I would guess:

Get rid of the camp speaker. Replace it with a drawer and put the camp speaker in the gear shop for those that want it.

Get rid of the air compressor. Add to the gear shop a battery powered compressor that can be stored/charged in the camp speaker dock.

Replace the motorized door handles and motorized charge port door with something that is cheaper and more durable.

Get rid of the motorized air vents.

Get rid of the 2nd row screen. It is probably pretty expensive and doesn't currently provide any functionality that would be missed.

Get rid of the air suspension as standard equipment. Make it a paid upgrade or bundle it with quad motor or off-road packages.

Get rid of the 3rd row seats as a standard item, charge extra for it.

Sponsored

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
What Drew said....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zolyaGOR5kM
Rivian needs something to spur R1 sales now or there will be no R2 or R3.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Ah, I love this game!

Add to Reengineered R1T/R1S:
• Rear automatic window
• Pop-out side windows (R1S only)
• All seats fold flat
• Haptic scroll wheels
• New front fascia like R2 (slightly smaller stadium light, redesigned frunk lid)
• Heat pump
• New software
• New USB charger in center console
• Glovebox(es)!!
• Improved heated steering wheel
• 4695 batteries (too soon?)

Remove or Keep on More Expensive Variant:
• Air compressor
• 12V charger in rear
• Removable Camp Speaker
• Power open AND close frunk lid
• Anything else that data shows that people don’t really use

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
It's fun to speculate but don't expect anything aside from changes that will reduce the cost of production or repair.

The odds are that you will not be able to tell the pre- and post-refresh versions apart aside from new paint colors, wheels, subtle changes in Driver+ camera locations, and a cheaper interior option.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I believe Rivian will update the R1 beyond simple, cost-saving measures. Rivian is clearly trying to move the stock of their current design, which points to a discernible refresh beyond internal cost efficiencies.

I also believe that an appreciable refresh will help raise sales of the R1, with existing owners looking to upgrade and longtime admirers finally taking the plunge. All of this discussion about lowering costs does not matter if they are not selling vehicles. Yes, Rivian needs to reduce costs to become profitable, but they also need to increase demand and adding new, attractive features is a proven way to do this.

As far as “wish list” features, I think one area where Rivian is not competitive is their on-board power inverter. Ford can output 9.6kW, GM can output 10.2kW, but Rivian is limited to 1.5kW. This does not align with the R1 being a premium, adventure product. More than any other improvement, I hope this deficiency is addressed with the refresh.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I always have cold hands and if I still lived in a cold climate I’d get something like these: https://a.co/d/iz98GbT

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I always have cold hands and if I still lived in a cold climate I’d get something like these: https://a.co/d/iz98GbT
I have heated gloves and they are awesome! Along with a jacket too. Both game changers for sure. But vehicles too. Remote start and heated steering wheels and seats big game changers too. And now...immediate remote heat of the BEV Rivian....another improvement in the vehicle world.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I own a few pairs of heated gloves.

The interesting thing is when i went to Mammoth last winter I didn't bring the heated gloves at all because I didn't feel like they'd work well. Instead I double gloved it which worked wonderfully.

I also have a USB battery that can act either as a heater, flashlight, or USB charger. Suffice to say I've mostly used it for heat.

Going back to the heated steering wheel. I do believe Rivian is aware that they made a mistake, and I'm pretty confident that they'll fix it in the refresh. Plus I can't wear heated gloves because it would defeat the capacitor sensor to detect my hands with Driver+, and I don't want to go back to a torque sensor (the backup for that).

In the refresh I expect to see:

Better passive entry and locking. It's so bad in my vehicle that it locks the vehicle while I'm still standing next to it towards the rear. Mine is an early VIN so its probably been improved, but there are still complaints from newer owners.

Charging Pad that works - Surprised this wasn't fixed sooner

At least 10F degrees warmer for the heated steering wheel and better uniformity of heat.

Reimplementation of the Driver Monitoring Camera. The first attempt didn't go so well and it never worked so Rivian disabled it.

Some slowness issue with the screens. Like the first time I backup for the day it will take awhile for the backup lines to appear.

None of these are really deal killers, but simple things to make an owners experience better. Not listed are all the expected changes for profitability.

Last edited:

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I think they’ll balance new features with the removal of less used ones. Ultimately they’ll need to get the R1 lineup under $80K to qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Everyone likes a discount, even rich people.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Since this is supposedly a cost cutting refresh I would guess:

Get rid of the camp speaker. Replace it with a drawer and put the camp speaker in the gear shop for those that want it.

Get rid of the air compressor. Add to the gear shop a battery powered compressor that can be stored/charged in the camp speaker dock.

Replace the motorized door handles and motorized charge port door with something that is cheaper and more durable.

Get rid of the motorized air vents.

Get rid of the 2nd row screen. It is probably pretty expensive and doesn't currently provide any functionality that would be missed.

Get rid of the air suspension as standard equipment. Make it a paid upgrade or bundle it with quad motor or off-road packages.

Get rid of the 3rd row seats as a standard item, charge extra for it.
These are all good cost cutting options. Offer a slimmed down R1T/R1S that qualifies for the tax credit before the R2 arrives in 2026.

rbrak29

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I think they’ll balance new features with the removal of less used ones. Ultimately they’ll need to get the R1 lineup under $80K to qualify for the $7,500 tax credit. Everyone likes a discount, even rich people.
Unfortunately due to R1’s suppliers (batteries) only a $3750 tax credit is available.
Sponsored