First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Unlimited Rubicon, 2017 BMW 430i Gran Coupe
Occupation
Professional Bicycle Fitter
Hey Everyone, I'm new here. I've wanted a Rivian for ages and I'm now just able to order one. I'm super excited but I've got a big dilemma right now, I'm an overlander and mountain bike racer, I do a LOT of driving and traveling in addition to my daily driving. I currently use a Ford Explorer specially modified to do the job, which is also my daily driver, I drive a LOT (like 25-30,000/ year). With the modifications my explorer currently gets about 16mpg city and 17mpg highway. I fill up my tank like 12-15x per month. So I'm REALLY looking forward to an electric off roader haha, the R1T.

The dilemma is that my driving is killing me ($750/ month just in fuel) I can't really drive less because of my career. Even without overlanding and racing I drive 20,000 per year. I'm debating trading it for a Subaru Forester which will increase my mpg to 24mpg city and 28mpg highway (on 87, I currently use 93) and yet still allow me to overland.

BUT, if I order a Rivian R1T and the wait is only like 8-10 months to get one, I'll just wait it out. BUT, if the wait is like 18 - 24 months to get a R1T Explore then I'll get a Subaru and trade it after the 2 year wait when my new Rivian is ready.

My question is, if I order one now what is the timeframe to get the order in?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
BUT, if I order a Rivian R1T and the wait is only like 8-10 months to get one, I'll just wait it out. BUT, if the wait is like 18 - 24 months to get a R1T Explore then I'll get a Subaru and trade it after the 2 year wait when my new Rivian is ready.

No one really knows for sure... BUT to put some perspective on it: There are people who ordered in 2018/2019 who don't reasonably expect to receive their vehicle until late spring/summer 2022 *at the earliest*. And there are a couple years of pre-order holders between those people and you.

I hope everyone gets their vehicles sooner... But I think you must temper expectations and accept that a new order, placed today, is not likely to see their vehicle for well over a year.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Nobody really knows how many official preorders there are right now. The speed at which Rivian claims they can build 1 vehicle once up in running is very impressive. In a perfect scenario with no Covid or supply constraints, I bet you would see it within a year. Unfortunately that’s not the current situation. I just put my order in a few weeks back. I’m betting on winter 2022 and would be very happy with fall 2022

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
BUT, if the wait is like 18 - 24 months to get a R1T Explore then I'll get a Subaru and trade it after the 2 year wait when my new Rivian is ready.
I think it will be around 18 months. But as others have stated, we don't really know...

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Haha, okay.
I am not trying to be snarky, sarcastic maybe. I love Rivian and am sure they will build awesome vehicles. That’s why I put my $1000 down in August of 2020, which is pretty late compared to a lot of people. Granted, I did get a Launch Edition, and I am in So Cal, so that may bump me up a little. All that being said, I am guessing I am still 8-12 months away.

There are people who have already been contacted by their Guides who are looking at November deliveries. Most of us haven’t even heard from our guides yet.

I think Rivian is taking their time and getting it right. They only get to do initial deliveries once and if there are problems, that will affect their future. So I am all for the slow roll.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I own a pretty built up Jeep as my DD. I am easily spending $600 a month on gas just driving to work and the kids to school. We literally drive my wife’s Subaru everywhere else just to save some money. I am thinking about picking up a used Bolt, Leaf, or Prius just to hold me over until my R1T comes in. Even a $300 car payment and the price to charge will be less than what I am spending on gas and wear and tear on the Jeep.

I hope you do order a Rivian. They will most likely lead the way in off road capable EV’s and that is super exciting.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
......BUT, if I order a Rivian R1T and the wait is only like 8-10 months to get one, I'll just wait it out. BUT, if the wait is like 18 - 24 months to get a R1T Explore then I'll get a Subaru and trade it after the 2 year wait when my new Rivian is ready.

If it were me, I would go ahead and put up the deposit, to at least get in some type of line, whatever that may be. I would expect you'll know more about your timeframe, when they start delivering vehicles, supposedly next month. You can get your deposit back at any time, but if you continue to wait, then there'll be no chance to meet your timeframe.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Sully151 said:
I am thinking about picking up a used Bolt, Leaf, or Prius just to hold me over until my R1T comes in.
Hey Chris,
You have probably heard, but Bolts 2017-2019 are being recalled due to risk of fire, due to "rare manufacturing defect" in their lithium ion cells, and GM is preparing to replace the battery modules, giving the owners a new 8 year/100k mile battery warranty, and in some cases, longer range than the original BEV system...238-->259. But, GM also could, at its discretion, as they get started in this process, find that they can inspect the battery pack, in some way confirm it is not at risk, or replace bad cells, and just put it back. Not really sure what will happen, but they are planning to begin with the 2019 models first, as those are the ones with the most fires and most at risk. Probably will be many months before they get around to my 2017 Bolt. I am hoping to get a new battery out of it, as I still love driving my Bolt around town. Still not great for long trips due to the relatively slow DCFC rates (never seen >55 kW).

Anyway, things to consider about the BoltEV. Some nervous Nellie 2017-2019 BoltEV owners may be willing to make you a good deal right now. And, you might even get a new battery out of it!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If it were me, I would go ahead and put up the deposit, to at least get in some type of line, whatever that may be. I would expect you'll know more about your timeframe, when they start delivering vehicles, supposedly next month. You can get your deposit back at any time, but if you continue to wait, then there'll be no chance to meet your timeframe.
I agree, may as well put in a deposit. and assume you won’t have the truck for a year or so.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Hey Everyone, I'm new here. I've wanted a Rivian for ages and I'm now just able to order one. I'm super excited but I've got a big dilemma right now, I'm an overlander and mountain bike racer, I do a LOT of driving and traveling in addition to my daily driving. I currently use a Ford Explorer specially modified to do the job, which is also my daily driver, I drive a LOT (like 25-30,000/ year). With the modifications my explorer currently gets about 16mpg city and 17mpg highway. I fill up my tank like 12-15x per month. So I'm REALLY looking forward to an electric off roader haha, the R1T.

The dilemma is that my driving is killing me ($750/ month just in fuel) I can't really drive less because of my career. Even without overlanding and racing I drive 20,000 per year. I'm debating trading it for a Subaru Forester which will increase my mpg to 24mpg city and 28mpg highway (on 87, I currently use 93) and yet still allow me to overland.

Most of us, Me included, will agree with @cc84 wise to get in line now. For your use case sounds like you will need the Max Pack 400 mile (est) range as well. My Subaru Ascent is a good daily driver and goes well on seasonal dirt roads and very mild off road and is holding me over till R1T day. I'm thinking my life will probably be viewed in terms of pre R1T delivery and post delivery by next spring (feb. 2020 preorder). Anyway on the plus side some of the Rivian DCFC adventure network should be operational by the time you take delivery. If you've "wanted a Rivian for ages" pony up and order now you will be glad you did!

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe look at a rav4 prime so you can benefit a little bit from plugging in?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Maybe look at a rav4 prime so you can benefit a little bit from plugging in?
The low-energy-density plug-in hybrids are fine for city dwellers that have short daily commutes. The more you drive, per day, the less advantage they have, however.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
The low-energy-density plug-in hybrids are fine for city dwellers that have short daily commutes. The more you drive, per day, the less advantage they have, however.
I was just thinking of a different option for a hold-over vehicle that is similar to a Subaru forester. The rav4 prime gets better mpg and if you can plug in at night then you can at least drive the first 40ish miles on electricity.
Sponsored