Sponsored

Thinking about returning R1T, need some help.

flimay2k

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - R1S LE
Clubs

I got my R1T this Saturday 01/07, upon inspection I noticed some panel gaps that looked pretty bad but I thought I could live with that. I Drove from Richmond SC to Raleigh, NC where I live.

The next day in the morning I noticed the driver's door is not closing properly, with the door closed, from inside I can put all my fingers between the door and body of the truck, and the rubber gaskets barely make contact. From the outside, I can see the rubber gaskets exposed and not sealing anything, how that go though their "inspection" I don't know.

I opened a ticket and the only time offered is 70 days away and I'll need to miss a day of work during over 5 hours back and forth, I'm not willing to wait 70 days to get this issue fixed and I can't sell a truck that I know has serious issues.

I know the return window is 7 days or 1000 miles which gives me until next Saturday to figure out what to do. Does anyone have any experience with returning a vehicle? I really want to keep it but the headache of driving 5 hours for any issues and waiting for God knows how many months now they are delivering more trucks is making me think that it's just not worth the trouble, maybe in another 2 or 3 years.

I'll take some pictures and post here.

Update with pictures:

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about returning R1T, need some help. PXL_20230110_140900490

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about returning R1T, need some help. PXL_20230110_141038565

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about returning R1T, need some help. PXL_20230110_141256137

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about returning R1T, need some help. PXL_20230113_175130883

Rivian R1T R1S Thinking about returning R1T, need some help. PXL_20230113_175201111
Sponsored

Last edited:

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Holy moly!🤦‍♂️Wish I could help.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I’m with you. A 5-hour drive and waiting over 2-months is ridiculous. Ask for a refund.

I asked this exact question on delivery day and the Rivian rep. assured me that it would be a 100% refund of the purchase price, destination, DMV fees and taxes. They didn’t mention how long it would take however.

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

This stinks. When built properly it is a great truck maybe you can get a different one.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I got my R1T this Saturday 01/07, upon inspection I noticed some panel gaps that looked pretty bad but I thought I could live with that. I Drove from Richmond SC to Raleigh, NC where I live.

The next day in the morning I noticed the driver's door is not closing properly, with the door closed, from inside I can put all my fingers between the door and body of the truck, and the rubber gaskets barely make contact. From the outside, I can see the rubber gaskets exposed and not sealing anything, how that go though their "inspection" I don't know.

I opened a ticket and the only time offered is 70 days away and I'll need to miss a day of work during over 5 hours back and forth, I'm not willing to wait 70 days to get this issue fixed and I can't sell a truck that I know has serious issues.

I know the return window is 7 days or 1000 miles which gives me until next Saturday to figure out what to do. Does anyone have any experience with returning a vehicle? I really want to keep it but the headache of driving 5 hours for any issues and waiting for God knows how many months now they are delivering more trucks is making me think that it's just not worth the trouble, maybe in another 2 or 3 years.

I'll take some pictures and post here.
Have them come and get it and try to make it right. You shouldn’t need to drive it there if you are in the 7 day window. They should give you an extension to make sure that when it returns everything was fixed to your satisfaction. My two cents…

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Return it. It’s that simple. No need to pay this much for a slapped together truck. Their QC needs definite work and this is how that feedback will get to them.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m with you. A 5-hour drive and waiting over 2-months is ridiculous. Ask for a refund.
The wait time is a bit long, though not too much longer than it takes to get appointments with other dealerships. The distance from/time to drive to the service center is entirely on the buyer and has nothing to do with Rivian. Buying a vehicle from a manufacturer with limited service centers carries the implicit acknowledgment that you will potentially drive several hundred miles for service appointments.

CLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I asked this exact question on delivery day and the Rivian rep. assured me that it would be a 100% refund of the purchase price, destination, DMV fees and taxes. They didn’t mention how long it would take however.

CLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Don’t think twice about it. If they wont extend the return window send it back and get a new one if you’re still inclined. Perhaps you could have eyeballed the vehicle a little sharper while still at the SC and skipped this hassle.
Sponsored