Sponsored

There's some stuff that bugs me about the configurator/LE process

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Edit: I may have misread something. I could have sworn it encouraged people to order early because LE was limited, not that it was saying to order during early access because LE was limited. I still want to know some of this other stuff though.

Double-edit: The site now suggests you only need to get in during the early access period to be guaranteed an LE truck. Possibly not ADD+mid-life-senile on this one as I've seen a couple of other people claim they saw the old version now.

For the record, I'm actually very excited to finally get some more concrete info. I was thinking 135KWh anyway, so the that's also in my favor, but there's still some stuff that bugs me:

* Pre-order # doesn't appear to matter for launch edition. Somebody could preorder now and have just as good of a chance of getting LE as I do. That's the difference between presumably before January 2022 and not before January 2022. If I'd dropped a grand on day 1, I would find that more than just a little frustrating. There was a not-at-all-technically-challenging way to handle this, but too late now I guess.

* Because I have no idea how many LEs are available, I have to be quick to pull the trigger on Monday morning.

* I'll have to be quick and probably won't know, for basis of comparison, how much a 180KWh version will cost. Or how many cheaper options I'll be able to trim the cost down with, come January.

* I'll be making that rushed decision probably without any knowledge of what my financing options are.

* I don't specifically know when on Monday morning. Like midnight? 5am? During work hours? Nor, again, what the actual LE quantity is so I have no idea how early I need to try to be or when early is.

I think it would go a long way if Rivian could share the following information before the 16th.

* When are the emails supposed to go out?

* What % of Rivian R1T and (separately) R1S preorder holders are going to be able to get LEs if none of us decided to wait for other options.

* How much are long and short range likely to cost? We've been waiting on this info since January. It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on whether to wait.

* Will there be options available for 2022 Adventure that are more affordable than the options we don't have for LE.

* What are the financing plans? I dropped my preorder at the January price drop. Now if I want a truck before 2022 it's going to cost me 6 grand more than I'd hoped and it looks like I can't even trim any of the options at this point. I would like to know what my options are for paying for it and whether the rebate will be discounted/floated for some or all financing options.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
For the record, I'm actually very excited to finally get some more concrete info. I was thinking 135KWh anyway, so the that's also in my favor, but there's still some stuff that bugs me:

* Pre-order # doesn't appear to matter for launch edition. Somebody could preorder now and have just as good of a chance of getting LE as I do. That's the difference between presumably before January 2022 and not before January 2022. If I'd dropped a grand on day 1, I would find that more than just a little frustrating. There was a not-at-all-technically-challenging way to handle this, but too late now I guess.

* Because I have no idea how many LEs are available, I have to be quick to pull the trigger on Monday morning.

* I'll have to be quick and probably won't know, for basis of comparison, how much a 180KWh version will cost. Or how many cheaper options I'll be able to trim the cost down with, come January.

* I'll be making that rushed decision probably without any knowledge of what my financing options are.

* I don't specifically know when on Monday morning. Like midnight? 5am? During work hours? Nor, again, what the actual LE quantity is so I have no idea how early I need to try to be or when early is.

I think it would go a long way if Rivian could share the following information before the 16th.

* When are the emails supposed to go out?

* What % of Rivian R1T and (separately) R1S preorder holders are going to be able to get LEs if none of us decided to wait for other options.

* How much are long and short range likely to cost? We've been waiting on this info since January. It would be nice to be able to make an informed decision on whether to wait.

* Will there be options available for 2022 Adventure that are more affordable than the options we don't have for LE.

* What are the financing plans? I dropped my preorder at the January price drop. Now if I want a truck before 2022 it's going to cost me 6 grand more than I'd hoped and it looks like I can't even trim any of the options at this point. I would like to know what my options are for paying for it and whether the rebate will be discounted/floated for some or all financing options.
Perhaps I misread this, but I thought the LE was only going to be available for people who have pre-ordered, and that as a result of preordering, will have access to the config for a week prior to the general public. I'm also under the impression that the LE will not be available after the config is available to the general public.

I'll try and go back and find where on the website or email that said that.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Perhaps I misread this, but I thought the LE was only going to be available for people who have pre-ordered, and that as a result of preordering, will have access to the config for a week prior to the general public. I'm also under the impression that the LE will not be available after the config is available to the general public.

I'll try and go back and find where on the website or email that said that.
Well the pre order holders will get the configurator first. I wonder how many LE vehicles they'll make... most likely a week later, there won't be any more for the taking.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Yeah, I think they blew it, they are really alienating the earliest pre-order people.

What would have been so hard about opening the configurator to say 500 people per hour based on pre-order date?

Would keep server from crashing and would reward the earliest people who paid money.

As OP says, "too late now!"

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It would be easy enough for the configurator to simply not present the LE option to non-preorder holders, even after 11/23.

Maybe I missed something but... I haven't seen anything yet leading me to believe that anything other than your selected configuration, pre-order date and eventual final commit date will impact your delivery date so I don't believe that anything that happens next week will change your delivery date one way or another (short of the configuration your choose). For example, if you were the #1 reservation holder and wanted a 180 kWh R1T, you would be taking delivery in January '22 and not July '21. But the #2 reservation holder who wanted a 135 kWh R1T would take delivery ahead of you in July '21 (assuming nobody defers finalizing their order when Rivian is ready to process that).

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
It would be easy enough for the configurator to simply not present the LE option to non-preorder holders, even after 11/23.

Maybe I missed something but... I haven't seen anything yet leading me to believe that anything other than your selected configuration, pre-order date and eventual final commit date will impact your delivery date so I don't believe that anything that happens next week will change your delivery date one way or another (short of the configuration your choose). For example, if you were the #1 reservation holder and wanted a 180 kWh R1T, you would be taking delivery in January '22 and not July '21. But the #2 reservation holder who wanted a 135 kWh R1T would take delivery ahead of you in July '21 (assuming nobody defers finalizing their order when Rivian is ready to process that).
You are still assuming pre-order position means something to Rivian. It appears to me it means nothing. Nothing at all.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
You are still assuming pre-order position means something to Rivian. It appears to me it means nothing. Nothing at all.
This seems to be correct. I pre-ordered during the launch in 2018. If I put a grand down today, I would get the same early access to the configurator and would still have to wait until 2022 for the 180 kwh pack. This is a shame as they could have done more.

I got he drawing of the truck sent to me as a gift. My friend that pre-ordered 3 months ago got the exact same perk. There was no reason for me to put money down early IMO.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@trickflow If the friend that ordered 3 months ago is also getting the 180 kWh pack, he will get his considerably later than you will get yours. I pre-ordered in 2019 so I will get mine after you get yours but before your friend gets his. This is assuming nobody defers final order commitment when the time comes.

@davrow_R1T @trickflow where are you guys seeing that pre-order position means nothing? Even beyond pre-orders, delivery will still be first come first served and based on vehicle configuration (something they have stated all along). My only beef is that we had been lead to believe both 180 and 135 packs would be available at launch, something they've clearly tossed out the window with no more explanation than:
At launch, every R1T and R1S comes with our 300+ mile pack. We are leading with this pack based on its optimal balance of range, performance and price.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Direct from Rivian's Time to Build page:

"Exact delivery dates will come next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration."

Your preorder date will put you earlier or later in line for your configuration of choice. Could be the difference between Jan '22 or Nov '22 (wild guess as an example) for a 180 pack.

Last edited:

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Could be the difference between Jan '21 or Nov '21 (wild guess as an example) for a 180 pack.
Did you mean Jan ‘22 or Nov ‘22? And I too am sorely disappointed that the 400 mile range R1T won’t be available at launch as they had previously stated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
" The first Electric Adventure Vehicles on the road will be our Launch Edition — a special release of the R1T and R1S available in 2021. For preorder holders interested in Launch Edition, it's important to visit the configurator during early access to reserve one since supply will be limited. Deliveries will start next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration. "

I either misread this or it got an edit since I last read it. I could of sworn it said it was important to get to it early as supply was limited, not to order during early access. Seemed like somebody on the Tweet had a similar impression.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Did you mean Jan ‘22 or Nov ‘22? And I too am sorely disappointed that the 400 mile range R1T won’t be available at launch as they had previously stated.
I did, thanks, & edited now.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
All this is assuming the order process will open when the configurator goes live. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen nothing about actual orders other than the deliver timeframe will show as you change options in the configurator.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

" The first Electric Adventure Vehicles on the road will be our Launch Edition — a special release of the R1T and R1S available in 2021. For preorder holders interested in Launch Edition, it's important to visit the configurator during early access to reserve one since supply will be limited. Deliveries will start next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration. "

I either misread this or it got an edit since I last read it. I could of sworn it said it was important to get to it early as supply was limited, not to order during early access. Seemed like somebody on the Tweet had a similar impression.
I remember reading the same thing last night. It only said to access the configurator early, not during early access. That suggests there should be enough Launch Edition supply for all preorder holders who want one, as long as they speak up during the early access period.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I just spoke to Customer Service (RIS) to clarify a few things:

1. The Launch Edition only has 7 seats. But other than losing some potential storage (?) since the seats fold fairly flat there is no real difference. The Back Row can also be removed with a little effort.
2. No indication as to what time the Configurator is being released on the 16th.
3. It was not clear to me if they are really limiting the number of Launch Vehicles. However, I was told once you are able to configure you are guaranteed a Launch Vehicle.
Sponsored