Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
In your case, a majority of the public would say it being electric is a deal breaker for them.
This is my new favorite one. I'm canceling my preorder if the truck won't run on gasoline.
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is that still the case? Was hoping for L3 out of the box as day 1 of delivery for us will equate to a LOT of road trips!
This was always the case. They won't release L3 until they have sufficient driving data from early drivers.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

This was always the case. They won't release L3 until they have sufficient driving data from early drivers.
"Reporting for Duty" I guess! LOL.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is that still the case? Was hoping for L3 out of the box as day 1 of delivery for us will equate to a LOT of road trips!
Yes, they will launch with Driver+ which is not Level 3. From their FAQs page:

Rivian R1T R1S The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All driver_plus

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yes, they will launch with Driver+ which is not Level 3. From their FAQs page:

driver_plus.png

Ahhh I was thinking L3 Charging, got threads confused. Carry On! hahaha.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Full self-driving across all roads (L5) for consumers is decades away. The number of laws, road adjustments, regulations, and insurance issues are going to be immense.
L3 is going to be the top for the life of this truck for most.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Full self-driving across all roads (L5) for consumers is decades away. The number of laws, road adjustments, regulations, and insurance issues are going to be immense.
L3 is going to be the top for the life of this truck for most.
This, fully agree.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I voted "literally zero" in the poll, because from the options, none of those would cause me to cancel my reservation (the definition of dealbreaker, which some people seem to forget). Sure some of those things will make me sad, but for me, things that would cause me to cancel or postpone my order include:
  • Range figures being grossly exaggerated, or the 400 mile R1T option going away
  • Lack of heatpump (latest Model 3/Ys are showing much improved cold weather performance with a heatpump, and Hyundai and Kia have been doing this for years now. I'd better hope Rivian is too considering it's supposed to be an adventure vehicle)
  • Significant negative reviews from the Launch Edition customers (one benefit of not even being tempted by the option since all Canadian deliveries are delayed)
  • Some sort of revolutionary battery tech is demonstrated at vehicle scale in 2021

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I voted "literally zero" in the poll, because from the options, none of those would cause me to cancel my reservation (the definition of dealbreaker, which some people seem to forget). Sure some of those things will make me sad, but for me, things that would cause me to cancel or postpone my order include:
  • Range figures being grossly exaggerated, or the 400 mile R1T option going away
  • Lack of heatpump (latest Model 3/Ys are showing much improved cold weather performance with a heatpump, and Hyundai and Kia have been doing this for years now. I'd better hope Rivian is too considering it's supposed to be an adventure vehicle)
  • Significant negative reviews from the Launch Edition customers (one benefit of not even being tempted by the option since all Canadian deliveries are delayed)
  • Some sort of revolutionary battery tech is demonstrated at vehicle scale in 2021
This is the best list of potential reasons I'd cancel or postpone. Considering I've got a launch edition, theres potentially only a few months left to decide.

Sponsored

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

No deal breakers for me right now. Biggest concern is timing issues on build out of high speed charging (especially in WY). 400 mile battery would make that less of an issue, but I’d actually prefer the 300 mile battery with a faster buildout of charges on the current black hole areas.
Agreed on the lack of (current) high speed charging in WY. 90%+ of my driving probably won't need it, but the added peace of mind would push me to take it rather than my Xterra on long trips

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Lack of heatpump (latest Model 3/Ys are showing much improved cold weather performance with a heatpump, and Hyundai and Kia have been doing this for years now. I'd better hope Rivian is too considering it's supposed to be an adventure vehicle
This is something I have been curious about. On another forum, someone said CS confirmed there would be no heat pump. The quote from CS was

“Our vehicles do not use a heat pump system, they have been tested and designed to provide optimal cabin comfort with outdoor temperatures spanning -20F to 110F. Outside that range, our HVAC system will still deliver relative comfort to occupants so that they can safely operate the vehicle.”

I don’t if anyone else has talked to CS or heard something different. Rivian had a job posting related to heat pumps at one point.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is something I have been curious about. On another forum, someone said CS confirmed there would be no heat pump. The quote from CS was

“Our vehicles do not use a heat pump system, they have been tested and designed to provide optimal cabin comfort with outdoor temperatures spanning -20F to 110F. Outside that range, our HVAC system will still deliver relative comfort to occupants so that they can safely operate the vehicle.”

I don’t if anyone else has talked to CS or heard something different. Rivian had a job posting related to heat pumps at one point.
What I find suspicious is that the mention of only working in a certain temperature range is a common limitation of heat pump systems, and the range specified feels about right for modern heat pump designs, based on what I've seen.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

It's not that heat pumps work better, it's that they're more efficient. I don't live in a cold climate (hot is a bigger issue here), so not much of an issue for me, but I am curious to see details/numbers on cold weather & hot weather performance/efficiency versus moderate temps.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
Don't see how this could be a deal breaker - you know that was never going to be an option. They showed the interior at the debut. Its all touch screen and it was never going to change.

Deal breaker implies you were sold on one and Rivian changed something. Now you don't have a deal.
I mean it as in this is an item that is preventing me from preordering at this time. Otherwise, I'm sold on Rivian.

I'm waiting to see if the eventual Chevy EV has better controls (and is a bit more affordable).
Sponsored