Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
If the Virus continues, at the current pace, for 3-4 more months will people take delivery in June without ever driving a RIVIAN?
Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
If the Virus continues, at the current pace, for 3-4 more months will people take delivery in June without ever driving a RIVIAN?
Yes.
In fact, I will now volunteer to jump forward in line to replace anyone who doesn’t want to do so. I’m a team player that way.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm waiting to see if the eventual Chevy EV has better controls (and is a bit more affordable).
The Chevy EUV will be significantly smaller than the Rivian, have one (maybe two?) motors with significantly less power and a Chevy spec interior. It will likely have a few more physical buttons if that is what you consider "better". It will be cheaper. By all indications it is a slightly bigger version of the current Bolt. It will be competing more with the ID.4, Mach e and Model Y than the R1S.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Most likely. I expect they will find a way to adapt, like incorporating it into the delivery.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tesla and every other manufacturer is offering contactless test drives. I don't see why Rivian can't adapt to this climate -- they've had a year to figure it out.

Setup a schedule where a few Rivian's can be moved around the country. Setup date ranges in major metro areas. Let people in those metros schedule appointment windows within the dates the Rivian's will be in that area. The person must provide a picture of their photo ID when making the appointment. Then people show up at the agreed location for their appointment time, the Rivian employee can give a socially-distanced presentation (or do what Tesla does and just send the person a link to YouTube videos that explain everything a day or two before the appointment) and then the person can take a test drive without the employee in the vehicle. Give them at least 30 minutes in the vehicle.

Although it's a challenge, it's an easily solved challenge, imo.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The Chevy EUV will be significantly smaller than the Rivian, have one (maybe two?) motors with significantly less power and a Chevy spec interior. It will likely have a few more physical buttons if that is what you consider "better". It will be cheaper. By all indications it is a slightly bigger version of the current Bolt. It will be competing more with the ID.4, Mach e and Model Y than the R1S.
I think he meant the Chevy Pickup EV, not the new Bolt EUV.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think he meant the Chevy Pickup EV, not the new Bolt EUV.
If so, that is years away. Apparently it is moved up from the original 2025 production date (after the Nikola deal fiasco), but no new target date has been revealed.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If so, that is years away. Apparently it is moved up from the original 2025 production date (after the Nikola deal fiasco), but no new target date has been revealed.
The GMC Hummer EV is the beta for the tech that will eventually trickle down in the more affordable/practical consumer pickup tricks.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The GMC Hummer EV is the beta for the tech that will eventually trickle down in the more affordable/practical consumer pickup tricks.
Yup. Eventually it will.

In October of 2017, GM promised two new vehicles based on learnings from the Bolt within 18 months, and 20 all electric vehicles to launch by 2023. We could still see them....eventually.

I applaud GM for pushing EVs forward, but I also take their timelines with a very large grain of salt.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Tesla and every other manufacturer is offering contactless test drives. I don't see why Rivian can't adapt to this climate -- they've had a year to figure it out.

Setup a schedule where a few Rivian's can be moved around the country. Setup date ranges in major metro areas. Let people in those metros schedule appointment windows within the dates the Rivian's will be in that area. The person must provide a picture of their photo ID when making the appointment. Then people show up at the agreed location for their appointment time, the Rivian employee can give a socially-distanced presentation (or do what Tesla does and just send the person a link to YouTube videos that explain everything a day or two before the appointment) and then the person can take a test drive without the employee in the vehicle. Give them at least 30 minutes in the vehicle.

Although it's a challenge, it's an easily solved challenge, imo.
And how many of us will forget exactly how long 30 minutes is and just keep driving? :) :)

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
And how many of us will forget exactly how long 30 minutes is and just keep driving? :) :)
Rivian better figure out how to do implement a remote disable or that’s one R1T they won’t be seeing again.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
I realize I wasn't clear. I don't mean the Bolt EUV, I mean the Chevy EV fullsize truck, which they have confirmed is coming and teased at CES.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I realize I wasn't clear. I don't mean the Bolt EUV, I mean the Chevy EV fullsize truck, which they have confirmed is coming and teased at CES.
It will be 2+ years behind the Rivian, and there will likely be other additional choices at that time as well (possibly even a lower cost Rivian with dual motors). You'll get Google assistant instead of Alexa, likely a few more physical buttons (if the Hummer is any indication), more of a plastic look/feel on the interior and a lower cost. Very unlikely to have quad motors or the power and performance of the Rivian.
If cost is a major consideration, waiting for a few years will likely be the best option. If Rivian had a dual motor, less powerful R2(?)T on the market today, that is likely what I would configure. Bring it in at <$50K MSRP (there are features on the R1T I don't consider essential that could help with cost cutting).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It will be 2+ years behind the Rivian, and there will likely be other additional choices at that time as well (possibly even a lower cost Rivian with dual motors). You'll get Google assistant instead of Alexa, likely a few more physical buttons (if the Hummer is any indication), more of a plastic look/feel on the interior and a lower cost. Very unlikely to have quad motors or the power and performance of the Rivian.
If cost is a major consideration, waiting for a few years will likely be the best option. If Rivian had a dual motor, less powerful R2(?)T on the market today, that is likely what I would configure. Bring it in at <$50K MSRP (there are features on the R1T I don't consider essential that could help with cost cutting).
GM is now using Alexa.
https://www.gm.com/our-stories/technology/amazon-alexa-voice-experience.html

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)