Sponsored
OP
OP

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
They started shipping in August. I received mine on 8/30.
Sponsored

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

OP
OP

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I ordered one 8/31, got a shipping notice email this Tuesday 10/3, and UPS says it will deliver it on 10/9.

JToeps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CY/OC
Occupation
Game Designer
Clubs

Mine arrived last Friday (29th), a day after my R1S.

it's getting installed Monday. Will post pics.

Sponsored

JToeps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CY/OC
Occupation
Game Designer
Clubs

EZ install. Took the guy an hour.

install was 600 bucks, Seattle/Redmond area, cost quoted to originally include exterior install but did not meet wife acceptance factor criteria. (She still thinks the garage will be used for non-pinball machine related activities)

Disappointed that it had to get set to 50amps due to upstream wiring but that's fine.

Worked instantly, the adapter has a quality "clunk" feel to it when engaged. Elon is a lot of things, but the service/UC design culture at Tesla is strong. Would be hard pressed to find a more elegant solution in the wider market. Would buy again.
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! IMG_8352

OP
OP

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EZ install. Took the guy an hour.

install was 600 bucks, Seattle/Redmond area, cost quoted to originally include exterior install but did not meet wife acceptance factor criteria. (She still thinks the garage will be used for non-pinball machine related activities)

Disappointed that it had to get set to 50amps due to upstream wiring but that's fine.

Worked instantly, the adapter has a quality "clunk" feel to it when engaged. Elon is a lot of things, but the service/UC design culture at Tesla is strong. Would be hard pressed to find a more elegant solution in the wider market. Would buy again.
IMG_8352.jpeg
Nice! Is the software available for the charger as of yet? That's what has been holding me back from installing so far.

I continue to deal with the horrendous UX and UI of my Juicebox, counting the days...

JToeps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CY/OC
Occupation
Game Designer
Clubs

I already had the Tesla App installed due to planning to try out a supercharger soon... I just opened it and clicked "add product" and the App + Charger worked their way through wifi + software updates just fine.

Not sure if there are special optimizations for the universal charger that aren't there yet, but it let me schedule times, and gave me a notification when the charger's times were set differently than the vehicle's times.

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
I already had the Tesla App installed due to planning to try out a supercharger soon... I just opened it and clicked "add product" and the App + Charger worked their way through wifi + software updates just fine.

Not sure if there are special optimizations for the universal charger that aren't there yet, but it let me schedule times, and gave me a notification when the charger's times were set differently than the vehicle's times.
I swapped out my Gen 2 charger. Took about 45 minutes with commissioning. Easy process for anyone comfortable working with electricity. The dock is so small and slick. Compare it to my old adapter. Now I no longer have to back the R1T into the garage to charge.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! IMG_0202

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! IMG_0205

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

So, I just got mine installed and it won't charge my Rivian. Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! 1000005477

Last edited:

Sponsored

golden2332

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Is there an error message on the Rivian display? It might be “unplug and try again”, which isn’t very helpful.

i have one of these universal chargers on order for my R1T.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So, I just got mine installed and it won't charge my Rivian. Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this.

1000005477.jpg
Interesting 🤔

My Lectron Tesla->J1772 will go red for maybe 30 seconds then would go green. I found plugging the Tesla end into the adapter, waiting may 15-20 seconds before plugging into the Rivian it worked better. I assume this is already plugged together when the adapter comes out of the charger.

Do you have anyone else with a J1772 vehicle that can test Just to make sure it is not a bad converter? Do you have a Tesla to test with as well?

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

Vehicle charge port stays white for several minutes, then turns red with dash message to unplug and try again.
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! 1000005485

My mobile charger (120V) works just fine. I have also Level 3 DC charged just fine. I don't have a Tesla to test with.

I feel like there is something I have done wrong in the Tesla app or with commissioning?

Tesla Pros app says everything is fine.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Universal Wall Connector home charger - it's here! 1000005486

This really stinks. It's working for other folks? Did I just get a bad unit? Or is there something wrong with the most recent firmware on the universal wall charger and the Rivian?

Last edited:

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

Ordered a TeslaTap mini to diagnose if it is just a magic dock (J1772) issue or not.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I found this thread on Reddit, you might want to read through it.
Sponsored