Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

I spoke with Tesla over chat and they didn't make be jump through any hoops. Just asked for the model numbers, and shipped me a new one.
Sponsored

tony12345

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interesting. Perhaps because you were able to verify it worked with an adapter? I'm 4 or 5 emails in with support already. Lots of tests that I had already performed. Still no resolution. Last request was to provide a video of the wall connector after plugging in to the vehicle.

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

teledoc

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team, 2023 Rivian R1S
Had my TUWC installed last Thursday. Initially could not get it to recognize my R1S at all then after leaving it plugged in for over 30 minutes it all of a sudden started charging normally. All weekend it was a little tenuous, initially when I plugged it in it would immediately give me a red light then I unplugged it and plugged it back in immediately and it would charge. Now today it stopped working no matter what I did. Less then impressed with the TUWC so far! Maybe I should have stuck with the Rivian charger I had initially ordered but I have Tesla Solar and Powerwalls and the app integration with charger is pretty cool. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

tony12345

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update: They finally said they will send me a new unit. Just swap out the main body and return the old one to them. I wasn't given any information about how long it will be before it ships. The real question is what percentage of these units are non-functional and how likely are we to get another dud?

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Hmmm....

Tesla chargers everywhere pretty much always work. While every other brand's chargers seem to be non-functional half the time.

We all assumed it was just because Tesla was the only one who cared enough to build a product that doesn't suck and then properly maintain it. But then Tesla builds this J1772 charger and it is unreliable.

Perhaps the problem wasn't all of the companies building non-Tesla chargers sucking, but it is just that J1772 and CCS are inherently more fragile and failure prone.

tony12345

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't know anything about the protocols or difference in standards, but Tesla used to sell a J1772 charger, and I don't think there were any issues with it. You can still buy the product at other retailers, but Tesla doesn't sell it directly anymore. It's my opinion that Tesla rushed this product to market because of all the companies signing on NACS - they wanted to be first to market with a level 2 charger that could do both NACS and J1772 without third party adapters. People can buy it today and still use it years from now after all the cars switch over to NACS. Literally the only reason I bought it over other products.

Having owned a Tesla for 5 years, I knew customer support was non-existent. But I assumed they had the chargers figured out already.

golden2332

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Had my TUWC installed today, and it does not recognize my R1T at all.

requested support from the Tesla website, and I think it said it sent them an email with my charger serial number.

I have not received any acknowledgment of my support request, though.

can anyone recommend the best way to reach Tesla for troubleshooting/replacement?

unfortunately, this install is at a cabin about 2 hours drive from home. I took pictures and video of the charger not charging, so maybe that will be enough evidence to get a replacement.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Had my TUWC installed today, and it does not recognize my R1T at all.

requested support from the Tesla website, and I think it said it sent them an email with my charger serial number.

I have not received any acknowledgment of my support request, though.

can anyone recommend the best way to reach Tesla for troubleshooting/replacement?

unfortunately, this install is at a cabin about 2 hours drive from home. I took pictures and video of the charger not charging, so maybe that will be enough evidence to get a replacement.
Every Rivian driver should have a NACS to CCS adapter on board, such as a Tesla tap. Why? Tesla destination chargers are ubiquitous, so of course you want to be prepared to use them.

So take the NACS handle out, and use it with your Tesla tap adapter and see if it works. If it does, then you know it is the adapter head that is malfunctioning, and you can proceed appropriately. But in the meantime, you can still use the unit.

Sponsored

tony12345

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Someone over on the other thread at teslamotorsclub tested the adapter by moving it between a TUWC that worked and one that didn't. The built-in adapter was not the problem.

It look me two days to hear back from Tesla using the method you used to contact them. Took 5 emails of useless testing which I had already performed before they finally agreed to send me a new unit. Total time was about a week. It's been another week since then and my new unit still hasn't shipped. That said - other people have been much more successful with using the chat feature. So maybe try that route.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you - my TeslaTap arrives tomorrow.
Super! That will be a big help when troubleshooting your EVSE.

Tesla EVSEs are some of the most reliable and robust on the market, but they rushed this one and blew it. I believe it is the NACS to CCS adapter that is causing some of the problems, but I have not had the opportunity to test one yet (I run strictly NACS).

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thank you - my TeslaTap arrives tomorrow.
There is a link in post #30 of this thread to a Reddit thread for trouble shooting. Some hints on verifying setup. It appears these chargers default to Tesla only, need to be configured for CCS or both during setup for CCS to work. The adapter it comes with appears to be a pass through adapter and communication is handled through the charger. The TeslaTap does the communication so if it works either the setup is incorrect or the on CCS communication is not working.

Last edited:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

also just a tip, recommend the wall monitor app, this monitors in real time the temps of the unit and handle. You’ll be suprised how hot it gets and might be good to run as low amps as you can tolerate. I’m sure 150-180 temps over a period of years could cause problems!
My Gen 2 connector is going on 10 years without a problem......