Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I doubt the superchargers along 395 are usually busy
It has been awhile since I went up 395 so I can’t say. More talking about Orange, San Diego, and LA counties. Also the chargers on 10 and 15 heading out of the area.

The challenge will be that it seems like their plan is to have 1 or 2 chargers at the locations setup with the magic dock. If that is the case it will be very easy to be blocked from charging if people do not leave those chargers to be utilized last.

I would have preferred that Tesla came up with an adapter we could purchase so we could use at any station. It really would only need to be 5 or 6 feet long for vehicles with charge ports on front or rear corners as you could pull in or back in. Ford would need to be longer as the port is not at the corner of the vehicle.

I don’t know how they will end up implementing their solution, it will be interesting to see, just not thinking based on what I am seeing that it will be super useful.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I mean, yeah everybody wants more, access to all existing chargers, and picking on tesla is cool, but as of Sep 2022, Electrify America had 788 locations / ~3500 chargers. So it's not really next to nothing.
True, I should have said its next to nothing compared to the number of super chargers Tesla already has.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
I'd like to see Rivian partner up with BP or XOM etc on this. Given the substantial subsidies, every service station in the US, especially those with convenience stores and restaurants, should put in a couple of CCS chargers

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
True, I should have said its next to nothing compared to the number of super chargers Tesla already has.
Tesla was never going to give up a major competitive advantage. The question I have is whether they will open up lesser used rural chargers, which is my major problem with using a Rivian off interstate.

The competitive move by Tesla would be to open up the 3500 least useful chargers. That is superchargers in areas that have pretty good CCS charger coverage and availability.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Tesla was never going to give up a major competitive advantage. The question I have is whether they will open up lesser used rural chargers, which is my major problem with using a Rivian off interstate.

The competitive move by Tesla would be to open up the 3500 least useful chargers. That is superchargers in areas that have pretty good CCS charger coverage and availability.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they do focus on rural. It looks like they are trying to avoid pissing off Tesla owners by opening up in areas that are heavily used.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

It has been awhile since I went up 395 so I can’t say. More talking about Orange, San Diego, and LA counties. Also the chargers on 10 and 15 heading out of the area.

The challenge will be that it seems like their plan is to have 1 or 2 chargers at the locations setup with the magic dock. If that is the case it will be very easy to be blocked from charging if people do not leave those chargers to be utilized last.

I would have preferred that Tesla came up with an adapter we could purchase so we could use at any station. It really would only need to be 5 or 6 feet long for vehicles with charge ports on front or rear corners as you could pull in or back in. Ford would need to be longer as the port is not at the corner of the vehicle.

I don’t know how they will end up implementing their solution, it will be interesting to see, just not thinking based on what I am seeing that it will be super useful.
I Like the option of the adapter, I do not think that would be one any time soon... I would love to use Tesla Chargers, they seem to work all the time ... not like Electrify America, I stopped last time at Carlsbad station and 2 out of 3 were down, one was occupied and someone else was waiting... so unless EA adds 20 Chargers in one spot, it will be always a pain.. and we can only hope Tesla will open their Network..

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I knew Tesla was going to drag their feet with this. Honestly surprised the US Government did this agreement. 3500 Superchargers across the country is next to nothing. I'd be surprised if more than one site allows CCS charging by the end of next year.

Hopefully Rivian continues building out the RAN network in areas I need.
It isn’t next to nothing and you can be sure it’ll be a lot more than the number Rivian will install. Gawd, all this whining and hate directed at Tesla is ridiculous. Without Tesla, we wouldn’t have Rivians.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It isn’t next to nothing and you can be sure it’ll be a lot more than the number Rivian will install. Gawd, all this whining and hate directed at Tesla is ridiculous. Without Tesla, we wouldn’t have Rivians.
I do agree that Tesla started the EV revolution but I think there would be less Tesla hate if Musk stepped down and it was run as a "normal" company. Also I do think Rivian would still exist if Tesla didn't but it might be more difficult or take longer to get going.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I do agree that Tesla started the EV revolution but I think there would be less Tesla hate if Musk stepped down and it was run as a "normal" company. Also I do think Rivian would still exist if Tesla didn't but it might be more difficult or take longer to get going.
Musk won't even leave twitter after we voted him off the island by a substantial margin.

But there is nothing unusual about Musk when compared to other of the most innovated industrialists.

Nikola Tesla was truely a bizarre man. While he would be better described as a genius inventor, he still makes Musk seem normal.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I love this idea. Perhaps, however, it would mess with the gov't funding.

Charge us a silly price for an adapter so we can use any station. It would make them money on both sides (product and ongoing charging). However they seem set on this magic dock idea.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thanks for sharing, some interesting partnerships in there.

I did find the 97% uptime number interesting, in real world numbers that means a charger can be down 9 days a year.
No way EA is going to be able to do that. They have chargers down for months at a time.