Sponsored

Tesla has removed the Standard Range Model X in the US and dropped prices up to 19%. The Model X is now eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credit.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I am feeling your pain here, as I am another sucker who purchased it the same time you did (with my yellow HOV sticker to showcase).
Name checks out. Haha.

I’m sorry to hear that, though. Do you plan on keeping it for a while?
Sponsored

WrekEE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order, Model Y P, Tundra TRD Pro
I paid $140K for an X Plaid in March 2022. It’s the last Tesla product I will ever buy.
I was salty about buying my MYP for $65k... yeah I feel bad for Model X and S owners right now.

sillyME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aztek
Name checks out. Haha.

I’m sorry to hear that, though. Do you plan on keeping it for a while?
I have been thinking about replacing the Tesla with the new Lexus upcoming GX, LX or eve the upcoming Toyota Land Cruiser (*cough Prado), since we recently replaced our r1t with a new RX, due to the craftsmanship and overall buying and servicing experience.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

I have been thinking about replacing the Tesla with the new Lexus upcoming GX, LX or eve the upcoming Toyota Land Cruiser (*cough Prado), since we recently replaced our r1t with a new RX, due to the craftsmanship and overall buying and servicing experience.
I agree that the GX / Land Cruiser Prado models are compelling options with Toyota dependability, service infrastructure and hybrid powertrains. If I were to ever go back to ICE, these models would be at the top of the list.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

If just bought a Tesla I would be so pissed off. That is a major change. Elon doing what he can as the competition heats up.

Sponsored

Q-ship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Model X Plaid, 2022 Model Y perf
I was salty about buying my MYP for $65k... yeah I feel bad for Model X and S owners right now.
I bought my MYP for 67,000 in November 2021. It has been a great car with zero problems, so that doesn’t bother me so much. Our MXP that we bought for 119,000 in January 2022 has had many problems, so that one stings a little more. At least I ordered my R1S in February 2022 (took delivery 3 weeks ago). So far, it has been a better car than the MX in every way.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
For those of you who are looking at a Model X versus R1S comparison, here are some points to consider.

I have owned a Model S and then a Model X. I placed a R1S reservation in 2019 while having my model S. Later on due to delays announced by Rivian, I bought a showroom model Model X in 2021. My R1S was delivered in Oct 2022. For the next 3 months, I had both the R1S and Model X. I sold my model X in Jan 22. My comparison is based on my experience.

Spoiler alert: The R1S has better value for money and is the winner on ride comfort, family experience, long rides.

Choose based on your need, use cases: Model X is a good option if you plan to use it as a crossover and you aren't worried about the utilitarian aspects of the vehicle like space, more than 3 passengers (max 4). The R1S offers more utilitarian options like bigger seats, feels more roomy can have upto 7 passengers (last row is best only for kids), good storage options.

Acceleration shudder: I have not driven the newer (refreshed in 2021) Model X yet. There is a flaw with the Model X front half shafts and based on reviews, it has not yet been corrected in the new models. When you accelerate steadily from 35 to 60 MPH, you can feel a strong vibration coming from the front wheels and almost all the passengers can hear and feel the vertical vibration. After 60 MPH, the car will be smooth. When you go below 60 MPH and accelerate steadily, you can feel slight vibrations every now and then. The R1S has no such problems and is as steady as a tank no matter when and how you accelerate. Tesla usually just replaces the half shafts every time you complain to them. More about it here in the Tesla forum https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...nt-status-end-of-february-2020.186566/page-24

Space: The traditional box SUV look of the R1S makes the passengers feel more spacious. As a family of 4, we always felt claustrophobic in the Model X. The big windshield of the MX ends right after the front driver seat and the structure that holds the windshield is right near the b-pillar and can feel like it is a little low. The heat from the windshield can be very hot during summer. we always had a double mesh installed to save us from the heat and that increased the claustrophobic feel.

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla has removed the Standard Range Model X in the US and dropped prices up to 19%. The Model X is now eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credit. 1694252589790

I am not a big fan of the full glass top of the R1S as it lets heat in. But I have it tinted and also added an additional layer of protection with a mesh that keeps the heat away. I wish the R1S has a movable shade like the other traditional automakers.

Seats: We have found the R1S' seats to be more comfortable than the MX. Tesla's seats look more sophisticated but are a little firm compared to the R1S. For long drives, we certainly feel more relaxed in the R1S. Its the same with the passenger seats as well based on what my kids have shared.

Long distance ride comfort: The R1S scores here. The Model X can be a little more sporty and the firmer ride makes you feel the bumps a little closer. My MX had adaptive air suspension but still it felt a little firm. But the R1S is pretty smooth and absorbs the bumps pretty well. When you go on a long drive, these add up for the ride comfort. We did a trip from Seattle to Portland and the family members felt way less fatigue compared to the previous drives on the Model X.

Noise: The noise insulation in the pre-refresh model X wasn't good at all. The wind noise would go upto 80 decibels. The R1S has better insulation. I have given two test drives to my friends in the last two weeks and they were suprised how quiet the R1S was on the freeway. Inside the city, both R1S and Model X will be quiet. The new Model Xs have a mic based noise cancellation system. I do not know how good they are.

ADAS: Tesla certainly scores here and I have been impressed how well the Model S, X do the autopilot stuff. In both my S and X, I had radar and ultrasonic sensors. Towards the end of my ownership, Tesla disabled the radar on the model X as their newer cars do not have the radar and they wanted to reduce code complexity. Recently, due to supply chain shortages, they have removed the ultrasonic sensors around the car as well. It purely functions on camera right now. I will say this, my model S had the best assisted cruise control, lane keep and lane change capabilities. My model X, since Tesla has been trying to do the full self driving thing going, the camera only system kept on giving up easily on freeways.

The R1S has only ACC and lane keep. It is limited only to freeways. You could activate the ADAS in any road on the Teslas. The Rivian has cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar.

Falcon wing door: This is pretty cool and egress of kids is easier. But truth be told, I do not miss it on my R1S. It looks great on the Model X. If you are in a hurry, just note that you got to wait a little longer for the automated door to come down or open. Whereas in the traditional door system, we can just open or close as needed quickly.

Battery: I would vote them both to be equal. I have had the same charging experience on both. I have both the wall chargers at home and from an ease of use, time taken to charge etc, both are equal. I can't see any differentiators. The range prediction on the R1S is more accurate than Tesla.

The Tesla super charging network definitely adds more ease for charging while on the road. But I haven't had any problems with finding a charger for R1S so far on my road trips. There is an EVGO or EA charger station almost anywhere you need them even on the freeways. I even tried the Rivian chargers in Portland. The experience was the same as super chargers. 99% of my charging is done at home and so, I do not see this as a problem at the moment.

Those are top of mind for me. Feel free to ask questions and I can answer based on my personal experience. There are a few folks who have written good comparison posts. Take a look at those as well.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...h-of-a-comparison-when-breaking-it-down.6653/

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...both-owners-delivery-review.11328/post-267142

Last edited:

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, LA Silver 22 Sport Bright
Occupation
Market Research Executive
Amazing price cuts!!

Just noticed.. all colors included at the new prices too.. no upcharge for any choice of color on the S or X.

I kind of surprised they are still making the Model S though because at this point it's a 15 year old design (with the first deliveries taking place in June 2012). I know there have been "refreshes" along the way, but that platform is showing it's age. Even the Model X has been in production for 8yrs now, so it's design is at least 10yrs old too.
Totally agree, it is an ancient body style now, one that has morphed into two different newer models(3 and Y). $90K for a tired design doesn't seem worth it to me, but I am not a Tesla fanboy.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
FWIW, we just bought a Model S LR to be the second vehicle to our R1S, so I have been getting a lot of side-by-side seat time in two brand new versions of the vehicles. They are obviously very different animals but I would say that:
  • Tesla ride is far, far nicer and more forgiving on bumps and potholes etc. (19" stock wheels on Model S vs 21" road on the Rivian). The Rivian update last night makes things a bit better but does not change the relative assessment
  • Tesla acceleration is effortless and smooth, Rivian is a big hulk with huge power muscling through a sprint.
  • Rivian is an energy hog, Tesla is very efficient which makes everything from charging at home to inter-city road trips easier and cheaper in the Tesla.
  • I think Rivian UI / Software is excellent, but Tesla is noticeably better on almost every dimension that matters to me.
  • EAP/FSD on the Tesla is outstanding, Driver+ blows. No comparison here.
You really cannot compare the vehicles since the S is a luxury sports sedan and the R1S is a do-anything/ go-anywhere utility vehicle on a truck chassis. They are totally different. Both very good in their respective roles IMO. As a highway cruiser for the two of us and the dogs, I would take the Model S every time and it is the perfect vehicle for my wife's daily driver. In the zombie apocalypse (or one of Houston's all-to-frequent weather events) or if I need work done or if I am taking more than two adults somewhere, it is the R1S.

I do not know how much of our Model S experience would port over to the X (I am not a fan of the X body style in any case) but we landed on the Model S after a lot of testing and comparisons (including having another R1S dual motor on order). The S is a lot of car for $75k with 405 miles EPA, 3.1 Second 0-60, and (for us) a free port over of our FSD package.

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

FWIW, we just bought a Model S LR to be the second vehicle to our R1S, so I have been getting a lot of side-by-side seat time in two brand new versions of the vehicles. They are obviously very different animals but I would say that:
  • Tesla ride is far, far nicer and more forgiving on bumps and potholes etc. (19" stock wheels on Model S vs 21" road on the Rivian). The Rivian update last night makes things a bit better but does not change the relative assessment
  • Tesla acceleration is effortless and smooth, Rivian is a big hulk with huge power muscling through a sprint.
  • Rivian is an energy hog, Tesla is very efficient which makes everything from charging at home to inter-city road trips easier and cheaper in the Tesla.
  • I think Rivian UI / Software is excellent, but Tesla is noticeably better on almost every dimension that matters to me.
  • EAP/FSD on the Tesla is outstanding, Driver+ blows. No comparison here.
You really cannot compare the vehicles since the S is a luxury sports sedan and the R1S is a do-anything/ go-anywhere utility vehicle on a truck chassis. They are totally different. Both very good in their respective roles IMO. As a highway cruiser for the two of us and the dogs, I would take the Model S every time and it is the perfect vehicle for my wife's daily driver. In the zombie apocalypse (or one of Houston's all-to-frequent weather events) or if I need work done or if I am taking more than two adults somewhere, it is the R1S.

I do not know how much of our Model S experience would port over to the X (I am not a fan of the X body style in any case) but we landed on the Model S after a lot of testing and comparisons (including having another R1S dual motor on order). The S is a lot of car for $75k with 405 miles EPA, 3.1 Second 0-60, and (for us) a free port over of our FSD package.
Thanks for your detailed and honest review.

The Tesla model S is perfect as a second vehicle in the house.

I would be looking at getting a model S or Rivian R2 in the future as an electric vehicle for my wife.

Hopefully Elon will continue to trim prices on model S like he has done in the past. It would be nice to see them refresh the vehicle by 2026 too.
Sponsored