Sponsored

Tesla Fans

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Do you place it rolling against the wall or away from the wall?
Beards are good, mullets aren't.

I am a Tesla owner, a Rivian pre-order holder, and I contribute to a Rivian-specific YT channel. Does outweigh being a Tesla owner? Can we still be friends???
Shut it, fanboy.

Can I get an autograph? On Chilewich please.
His craftmanship could use some work, and I'm guessing his penmanship might be just as bad.
Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
It's important to acknowledge the accomplishments of Elon Musk not only with Tesla but his other endeavors. He is a visionary and has pointed the automotive world's manufacturers in a new direction by the weight of his success. His direction of Space x has dominated the supply for the ISS. He is pursuing vertical integration reducing his reliance on outside suppliers. The R&D to develop materials for mega casting, the stainless steel for the rockets and cybertruck, the tabless 4680 battery and who knows what else. There are problems with manufacture of any new product and being an early adopter always has risks associated. We here on this forum have made our choices based on our perception of quality not any experience. The presentation of the product and the investors involved (nothing behind the curtain with GM and Nikola) lend credence to our choice. We are explorers in uncharted territory with what seem to be solid foundations of belief. Does this make us fanatics? I'm certainly a fan.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My penmanship is top notch!!!
Your wife's certainly is! Totally looked like it could have come from Rivian marketing...if there was such a thing.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lots of people call those people Tesla Stans, in reference to the Eminem song. These people and Elon are why I'll never own a Tesla.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

It's important to acknowledge the accomplishments of Elon Musk not only with Tesla but his other endeavors. He is a visionary and has pointed the automotive world's manufacturers in a new direction by the weight of his success. His direction of Space x has dominated the supply for the ISS. He is pursuing vertical integration reducing his reliance on outside suppliers. The R&D to develop materials for mega casting, the stainless steel for the rockets and cybertruck, the tabless 4680 battery and who knows what else. There are problems with manufacture of any new product and being an early adopter always has risks associated. We here on this forum have made our choices based on our perception of quality not any experience. The presentation of the product and the investors involved (nothing behind the curtain with GM and Nikola) lend credence to our choice. We are explorers in uncharted territory with what seem to be solid foundations of belief. Does this make us fanatics? I'm certainly a fan.
I agree that Elon’s accomplishments are enormous. In general, I’m a fan of his. I cannot think of another person in modern times who has had such an impact in one area of tech and certainly not four: solar energy systems, EVs, space travel, and now global Internet service via Starlink. (I signed up for the Starlink beta and I’m waiting for my kit in the second half of 2021.)

At times his behavior can undercut his accomplishments, whether lashing out at an individual who doesn't have his audience (punching down), promising things which it seems even he knows cannot be delivered (FSD), etc. Because he is a leader, other people take note of these behaviors, too.

Most Tesla fans understand that they need to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to Elon. We can forgive some of his behaviors because of the contributions he’s made to modern life.

The Tesla faithful (beyond typical fans) seem to think that absolutely everything Elon does and says is good and right. Then they feel entitled to emulate his behaviors, as if they made the same contributions to society that Elon and his companies have.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
TBH, I haven't seen 'Believe in Tesla or you are going down' kind of posts in this forum. Either I am not paying a lot of attention or the Rivian focus (purpose of the forum) by awesome folks far outweighs such posts. I am a Tesla owner but at the end of the day, I am a customer who will buy a product that suits my needs best. Outside this forum and even in the Tesla forum, Reddit, news websites, I have seen a lot of opinionated views. The focus of this Rivian forum is very much intact and hasn't drifted away ! Many many honest, pragmatic, open folks are in this forum from whom I have learnt a lot and everyone trying to help each other with what we know and LOL moments that lighten up the day.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I'm right with you there Johnking. I certainly haven't seen anything like what the OP mentioned, I actually feel it's exactly the opposite. I keep wondering how I was lucky enough to have a positive experience with my Tesla. It seems like everything I read here from Tesla owners are complaints and bemoaning their purchase. It feels to me that this forum doubles as an Anti-Tesla forum.

I see so much negativity on this forum - especially over the last month - that I have really soured on it. I read it less and less since it there is much less info and much more negativity and complaining. But I can't quite quit the habit yet. I still do find some nuggets of information now and then.

I hope that Rivian will have many positive announcements soon and the mood here improves and it becomes a source of new information and ideas. But until then, I will read this like anything else on the internet - with a great deal of selectivity.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I see so much negativity on this forum - especially over the last month - that I have really soured on it.
Human nature. We don't gossip much about the good things that happen. The press doesn't publish much good news.

There isn't a lot of new information posted here because there isn't much new information.. It's largely a rehash of the same old same old.

There are here, and in any forum, a handful of bitter people and, lets face it, some whose elevators don't quite make it to the top floor. They are often the most vocal. Some of these float the most preposterous ideas involving other worldly physics (the max model will really have 480 mile range....) and are then disappointed when the reality is forced upon them. And, of course, Rivian has not been the most forthcoming about what is going on inside that building in Normal and they have made the decision to postpone the delivery of the Max until next year. That tics me off but I realize that both there are/were wise decisions on their part. Anyone with reasonable perspecive would appreciate that but there are people here with no engineering, business or other relevant experience who vent their frustrations when the world doesn't go the way they think it should or the way they want it to.

I still do find some nuggets of information now and then.
There are going to be more and more of these as people start to get their trucks. There are also going to be lots of complaints ala the Tesla sites as it turns out that the service isn't so "white glove" as people expect, that charging in the CCS world is going to be a bit challenging, that there are panel gaps in the early production and that Rivisn lied about its EPA rating. In other words even if Rivian is a much better than average automaker they are still an automaker.

... I will read this like anything else on the internet - with a great deal of selectivity.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I think this is the right place for this, but I’m hoping the site administrator will move to a different area if not.

There seem to be some posters here who truly believe in the superiority of Tesla over Rivian and they seem intent on… something. I just don’t understand what their desire is. Do they merely want to troll us? Do they want to drive people away from the forum so the loss of revenue causes the forum to shut down? Do they think they are helping us see the ”error” of our Rivian ways?

From my perspective, Tesla seems to bring about cult-like devotion in some people to the personality (Elon), philosophy (the Tesla way is the only TRUE way), and/or product (Teslas are all PERFECT even when they're not) which is a major turn-off to me. I think whenever you're a fanatic about something which is subjective, the likelihood of you converting everyone else to your fanaticism by constantly touting the superiority of your choice over theirs is zero. It doesn't really matter what the topic is either: favorite EV maker, favorite color, favorite team, favorite diet, favorite way to place a roll of TP on the holder, etc.

I'm happy for people who own Teslas and love them... as long as they aren't trying to convert me. I have three friends with Teslas: two are owners and one is what I'd call a member of the Tesla faithful. I think the Tesla faithful (beyond regular Tesla owners) don't understand that others may not share their faith, for whatever reason. Some seem incapable of seeing anyone else's perspective regarding the company and products they adore.

My Tesla faithful friend cannot fathom why we want a Rivian instead of a Model X. We dislike the falcon wing doors because of the needless complexity (his passenger side door has never worked properly despite multiple repair attempts by Tesla over the past 17 months). We want a vehicle which is capable of the type of off-roading we do which is clearly not the mission of the Model X. We see value in a rectangular profile SUV for fitting bulky items in the cargo area.

I just don’t understand the people here who seem to enjoy dispiriting others who are as excited about Rivian EVs as they are about Tesla EVs. I think that there is just something off about people who take joy in the unhappiness in others, and worse, actively try to cause the unhappiness.
I need to scan through some of the replies, so I apologize in advance. I have not been to this forum in a while, but I have posted a fair amount about Tesla. However, most of the reason I have come to this forum is to be persuaded to move AWAY from Tesla. I was with Tesla at the beginning (first Model S in 2012) and have owned both Model S's and a Model X. For a variety of reasons, I have grown tired of Tesla. Love the driving experience, enough to put up with some of the cars' quirks. But, I am looking for an alternative. Rivian seems to be a very refreshing option, and I am still on the fence.

I just wanted to reply to let the OP know that not all Tesla owners are brainwashed fanatics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I just wanted to reply to let the OP know that not all Tesla owners are brainwashed fanatics.
I never wrote that they are. What I did write, with emphasis added:
“There seem to be some posters here who truly believe in the superiority of Tesla over Rivian and they seem intent on… something.“
and
“From my perspective, Tesla seems to bring about cult-like devotion in some people to the personality (Elon), philosophy (the Tesla way is the only TRUE way), and/or product (Teslas are all PERFECT even when they're not) which is a major turn-off to me.”

What I did write applies to the some “I just don’t understand the people here who seem to enjoy dispiriting others who are as excited about Rivian EVs as they are about Tesla EVs. I think that there is just something off about people who take joy in the unhappiness in others, and worse, actively try to cause the unhappiness.”

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I never wrote that they are. What I did write, with emphasis added:
“There seem to be some posters here who truly believe in the superiority of Tesla over Rivian and they seem intent on… something.“
and
“From my perspective, Tesla seems to bring about cult-like devotion in some people to the personality (Elon), philosophy (the Tesla way is the only TRUE way), and/or product (Teslas are all PERFECT even when they're not) which is a major turn-off to me.”

What I did write applies to the some “I just don’t understand the people here who seem to enjoy dispiriting others who are as excited about Rivian EVs as they are about Tesla EVs. I think that there is just something off about people who take joy in the unhappiness in others, and worse, actively try to cause the unhappiness.”
You are correct on many fronts. There are cultish fans out there. In some ways, I was one of them. You are also correct in pointing out how annoying it is for people to take time to put negativity on the Internet. I am 100% with you on that. Sucks the energy out of people.

I am really hopeful that Rivian kicks ass. Unfortunately, it will take quite a while to find out, as I don’t think deliveries of the R1S are going to be anytime soon ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
“I just don’t understand the people here who seem to enjoy dispiriting others who are as excited about Rivian EVs as they are about Tesla EVs. I think that there is just something off about people who take joy in the unhappiness in others, and worse, actively try to cause the unhappiness.”
Nietzsche called these people "tarantulas". They are not rare by any means. About half the population.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I'm a huge Tesla fan and a shareholder. You are only hearing from a minority, who happen to be the loudest, which is usually the case. The vast majority of Tesla fans are electric vehicle fans. We want everyone to succeed.

The fandom of Tesla is warranted, not the crazies. They pioneered the EV revolution, has the best battery tech, best chargers, the manufacturing process is leaps above every other car manufacturer out there.

Rivian has yet to do anything meaningful. We will though. Rivian does have something that Tesla doesn't, and thats a 4 motor drive along with a gorgeous truck and SUV, when they start deliveries. I think the 4 motor drive is going to make Rivian standout amongst competitors. It's one of the reasons I went with Rivian. Rivian is still in the prove it to me stage.
, the manufacturing process is leaps above every other car manufacturer out there.-----"The quality control issues with Tesla is extremely poor Reading the Tesla owners forum is an eye-opening experience that repeats itself on a regular basis.
Sponsored