Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think this is the right place for this, but I’m hoping the site administrator will move to a different area if not.

There seem to be some posters here who truly believe in the superiority of Tesla over Rivian and they seem intent on… something. I just don’t understand what their desire is. Do they merely want to troll us? Do they want to drive people away from the forum so the loss of revenue causes the forum to shut down? Do they think they are helping us see the ”error” of our Rivian ways?

From my perspective, Tesla seems to bring about cult-like devotion in some people to the personality (Elon), philosophy (the Tesla way is the only TRUE way), and/or product (Teslas are all PERFECT even when they're not) which is a major turn-off to me. I think whenever you're a fanatic about something which is subjective, the likelihood of you converting everyone else to your fanaticism by constantly touting the superiority of your choice over theirs is zero. It doesn't really matter what the topic is either: favorite EV maker, favorite color, favorite team, favorite diet, favorite way to place a roll of TP on the holder, etc.

I'm happy for people who own Teslas and love them... as long as they aren't trying to convert me. I have three friends with Teslas: two are owners and one is what I'd call a member of the Tesla faithful. I think the Tesla faithful (beyond regular Tesla owners) don't understand that others may not share their faith, for whatever reason. Some seem incapable of seeing anyone else's perspective regarding the company and products they adore.

My Tesla faithful friend cannot fathom why we want a Rivian instead of a Model X. We dislike the falcon wing doors because of the needless complexity (his passenger side door has never worked properly despite multiple repair attempts by Tesla over the past 17 months). We want a vehicle which is capable of the type of off-roading we do which is clearly not the mission of the Model X. We see value in a rectangular profile SUV for fitting bulky items in the cargo area.

I just don’t understand the people here who seem to enjoy dispiriting others who are as excited about Rivian EVs as they are about Tesla EVs. I think that there is just something off about people who take joy in the unhappiness in others, and worse, actively try to cause the unhappiness.
Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
People always need something or someone to worship. Thats why we have so many religions. Tesla fanboyism has reached a religious cult-like fervor to me.

Nothing against any religion or lack thereof. I just feel like people would worship at an alter of Elon if such a site was erected.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I'm a huge Tesla fan and a shareholder. You are only hearing from a minority, who happen to be the loudest, which is usually the case. The vast majority of Tesla fans are electric vehicle fans. We want everyone to succeed.

The fandom of Tesla is warranted, not the crazies. They pioneered the EV revolution, has the best battery tech, best chargers, the manufacturing process is leaps above every other car manufacturer out there.

Rivian has yet to do anything meaningful. We will though. Rivian does have something that Tesla doesn't, and thats a 4 motor drive along with a gorgeous truck and SUV, when they start deliveries. I think the 4 motor drive is going to make Rivian standout amongst competitors. It's one of the reasons I went with Rivian. Rivian is still in the prove it to me stage.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
the manufacturing process is leaps above every other car manufacturer out there.
This is highly debatable. Some parts of there manufacturing process are better, but others are not. If they were universally better, then their fit and finish issues wouldn't be issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

People always need something or someone to worship. Thats why we have so many religions. Tesla fanboyism has reached a religious cult-like fervor to me.

Nothing against any religion or lack thereof. I just feel like people would worship at an alter of Elon if such a site was erected.
I guess I get that. I just don't understand taking it beyond "this is the right answer for ME" to "this is the right answer for EVERYONE"

It's almost like the only way some people can confirm that they've made the right choice for themselves is for everyone else to make the same choice. Even though others have different wants and needs.

We go off road in a Land Rover and almost always encounter Jeep Wranglers and Toyota Tacomas/4Runners. I don't think that those vehicles are better for us simply because there are more of them. Conversely, it would never occur to me to denigrate their choice. I assume that what they chose is the right answer for them just as what we chose was the right answer for us. I'm just glad to see them having fun exploring and trying challenging trails.

Once we came across a new Wrangler stuck in some soft sand and we stopped to help. Turns out that was the first time they'd ever been off pavement and the owners hadn't even peeled the shrink wrap off the owner's manual. They were in 2H so basically rear wheel drive only. I suppose I could have said that if they had a Land Rover it would always be in 4WD mode, but why? I just explained that they weren't in 4WD, asked if I could remove the shrink wrap, found the section in the manual that explained what you needed to do to change modes, put them in 4L, and pointed out the warnings about what they need for high-speed driving on pavement. They were on their way and happy as could be!

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian is still in the prove it to me stage.
I completely agree with this. From what I've seen Rivian is on a path to success, but that is certainly not guaranteed.

You make a good point and I'd generalize it to, "The extremists, no matter what the topic, tend to be the loudest." They fail to understand that their behavior tends to drive more people away from their viewpoint than towards it.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Interesting observation, but I’ve not personally felt a lot of people here worshipping or pushing Tesla. There are many folks here, myself included, who are long time Tesla owners. I think that first hand EV experience allows us to provide insights to folks who may not have any EV experience by discussing our experiences. I’m a big Tesla fan, but I’ve also been critical of them on here in areas where they deserve it. The fanboyism is 100 times worse on the Tesla forums than it is here!

I drive a Tesla because I wanted the performance and tech of an EV. But I’ve always been a truck and SUV guy. My plan has always been to buy the first viable EV truck and replace the Model S with it. As of right now, Rivian fits that niche for me. But depending on how these next few months go, F-150 could win out in the end.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There seem to be some posters here who truly believe in the superiority of Tesla over Rivian and they seem intent on… something.
My HP is better than your TI
My Mac is better than your PC
My Canon is better than your Nikon.
I am a ____theist. Unless you are one of us you are going to hell.

These are 4 I remember. The Mac vs. PC thing is probably the best known and even had a name: Platform Wars. Some of the most horrendous attrocities in the history of man have stemmed from the 4th one. IOW this is nothing new. I think what these people are intent on is convincing THEMSELVES that they have made the right choice. Nothing like converting a few people to your POV for that. Man is a pack animal. He is always most comfortable in the presence of people like himself,

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My HP is better than your TI
My Mac is better than your PC
My Canon is better than your Nikon.
I am a ____theist. Unless you are one of us you are going to hell.

These are 4 I remember. The Mac vs. PC thing is probably the best known and even had a name: Platform Wars. Some of the most horrendous attrocities in the history of man have stemmed from the 4th one. IOW this is nothing new. I think what these people are intent on is convincing THEMSELVES that they have made the right choice. Nothing like converting a few people to your POV for that. Man is a pack animal. He is always most comfortable in the presence of people like himself,

? On point. Thanks for the objectivity.

Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Some irony for me since I put my deposit on the Rivian in 2018 and bought my Tesla in 2019. Agree with the other posters that the loud minority ruins the reputation of Tesla owners. I’m the first to own up to my dislikes when friends or families ask me about my Tesla, but I unquestionably love driving an EV. I’m not only excited for Rivian to get off the ground, but also watching the migration of established auto manufacturers and their offerings. To me, the more the merrier. The consumer always benefits with choice.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I’m not only excited for Rivian to get off the ground, but also watching the migration of established auto manufacturers and their offerings. To me, the more the merrier. The consumer always benefits with choice.
This is exactly where I am.

To be fair, there only seem to be a handful of what I’ll call confrontational contributors on here. The fact that they all seem to be trolling the Rivian community while simultaneously extolling the virtues of Tesla makes me think this is no accident.

I can only conclude that while not all Tesla fans are confrontational contributors it sure seems like all of the confrontational contributors are Tesla fans. It makes the whole Tesla fan community look worse because of the association.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

IOW this is nothing new. I think what these people are intent on is convincing THEMSELVES that they have made the right choice.
Right and I even threw in the trivial example of which way to place toilet paper on a holder.

The fact that a guest flipped my toilet paper in my house to their “right” way doesn’t make me think I’ve been doing it wrong and I should convert. Instead I’m amused at the absurdity, annoyed at having to put things back the way I prefer them, and a little concerned about the stability of someone who would force change in a home which isn’t theirs.

There is no one right answer to subjective evaluations. We can civilly disagree about things without resorting to argument and insult.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The fact that a guest flipped my toilet paper in my house to their “right” way doesn’t make me think I’ve been doing it wrong and I should convert.
Do you place it rolling against the wall or away from the wall?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Right and I even threw in the trivial example of which way to place toilet paper on a holder.
There is only one way to put toilet paper on the holder. Anyone that does it wrong is a heretic and should be burned at the stake.
Sponsored