Take delivery before a test drive?

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
While I was watching the Out Of Spec walk around of the R1T today I realized that I have now seen/read enough about the R1T that I can comfortably take delivery without ever seeing/driving the truck, or even seeing the colors in person. Dozens of comments and several hours of video has largely convinced me that there are no deal breakers (not that I expected any after 32 months with a pre-order deposit!).

I took delivery of my C8 last fall without seeing the car or colors, and I am thrilled with it - and I think I will be no less thrilled with my LE R1T - whenever it arrives.

Being in Northern Michigan I doubt there will be a drive event anytime soon, so I could happily finalize my order any day now and move on the the delivery stage in the Winter/Spring/Summer of 2022. The remaining decisions about colors/options will probably hinge partly on what the tax credit ends up being for 2022.

Anyone else ready to finalize your order before seeing/driving one?
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've bought multiple cars and motorcycles (without warranties) sight unseen - never had a problem and made sure I did my research.

No problem buying the Rivian the same way.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I wasn’t ready to do that and I’m happy I did the extremely short test drive on terrain that doesn’t represent in any way where we’d drive it 95% of the time.
That being said I could have lived with just getting to sit in it to get a feel for the space, layout and materials.
It’s a nice vehicle, if you’ve ever been in a Land Rover or Range Rover and like biggish screens and a powerful power train, you’ll be happy.
Regarding colors, the pictures of the interior are pretty good but the exterior colors vary too much depending on light exposure that it was nice seeing them in person. Although in the end, blue is not Toyota blue and yellow is yellow mustard yellow.

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

As an R1S pre-order holder there is not enough information yet.
I would/will have no problem buying site unseen ONLY AFTER there are enough reviews and information in regards to utilizing the 3rd row with car seats in the second.

Assuming those hold up to my needs then I'm in.
While I would love to see the colors in person, I know I am going to be happy any direction I go with.

If I was getting the R1T, then there has already been enough information for me to buy site unseen.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
While I was watching the Out Of Spec walk around of the R1T today I realized that I have now seen/read enough about the R1T that I can comfortably take delivery without ever seeing/driving the truck, or even seeing the colors in person. Dozens of comments and several hours of video has largely convinced me that there are no deal breakers (not that I expected any after 32 months with a pre-order deposit!).

I took delivery of my C8 last fall without seeing the car or colors, and I am thrilled with it - and I think I will be no less thrilled with my LE R1T - whenever it arrives.

Being in Northern Michigan I doubt there will be a drive event anytime soon, so I could happily finalize my order any day now and move on the the delivery stage in the Winter/Spring/Summer of 2022. The remaining decisions about colors/options will probably hinge partly on what the tax credit ends up being for 2022.

Anyone else ready to finalize your order before seeing/driving one?
Yeah. I was basically there too. TBH, Kyle's preferences and his attention to detail align closely enough with mine that I would have bought it without a test drive if he was the only review.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I think the only thing I'm still hung up on is interior color. I'm set on having LA Silver for the exterior but I'm undecided, with a strong lean toward Forest Edge, for the interior. I would really appreciate getting to see all three interior colors before finalizing my order. My guess is that I'll be able to do that in Chicago before its my time for delivery.

I also really want to know if interior colors will affect availability. I could be swayed toward a certain color if it moves up availability. I've noticed that all of the employee vehicles that have been delivered are all Black Mountain (unless I've missed some).

As far as driving, I can't imagine driving it and being disappointed so I could see myself ordering without ever having driven one.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
If you can get delivery without a test drive, grab it! No color, interior or exterior, is bad, and there's plenty of images online to make an informed decision with the exception of limestone.

I have an early preorder, so Launch Green is an easy choice. It pairs well with all the interior colors. Decided on Black Mountain for 2-3 reasons. The Ocean Coast stain/treatment of the ash is milky and unpleasing to my eye. If the seats get stained - spilled wine/rub off from jeans - stains may be hard to remove completely. BM and FE will hide stains better. And the green stripe down the BM seats complements Launch Green.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
As an R1S pre-order holder there is not enough information yet.
I would/will have no problem buying site unseen ONLY AFTER there are enough reviews and information in regards to utilizing the 3rd row with car seats in the second.

Assuming those hold up to my needs then I'm in.
While I would love to see the colors in person, I know I am going to be happy any direction I go with.

If I was getting the R1T, then there has already been enough information for me to buy site unseen.
Right there with you mate. How does that third row look when carseats occupy the 2nd row...real world problems...

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

I am also willing to take delivery without seeing first. @RealRivian, @RJScaringe, @AnyoneWhoWillListen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I think the only thing I'm still hung up on is interior color. I'm set on having LA Silver for the exterior but I'm undecided, with a strong lean toward Forest Edge, for the interior. I would really appreciate getting to see all three interior colors before finalizing my order. My guess is that I'll be able to do that in Chicago before its my time for delivery.

I also really want to know if interior colors will affect availability. I could be swayed toward a certain color if it moves up availability. I've noticed that all of the employee vehicles that have been delivered are all Black Mountain (unless I've missed some).

As far as driving, I can't imagine driving it and being disappointed so I could see myself ordering without ever having driven one.
As much as I would like to see interior/exterior colors and drive the truck, I think if it comes to it I can pick them without in-person viewing. I too could probably be swayed if certain colors decrease the wait over others. My short list of exterior candidates are FG, LG, White, and RB. My current config is for FG/BM, but I am becoming more intrigued with FE as I see more photos and comments - I think the brown wood color is far and away the best one...

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My last 2 cars were purchased never driven, never tested, sight unseen. The 2 cars before were test driven, but purchased sight unseen. It's not as scary as people make it out to be.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I test drove the Model 3 but didn't test drive a Model Y before taking delivery. After watching a bunch of videos I get a pretty good idea of how the Rivian will be to drive, especially after owning EVs for the past couple years. Same goes for F150 Lightning, if that is available first I will take delivery without a test drive.

Rad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 and 2004 MDX, 2016 Jeep JK
It isn't a requirement, but it is very desirable to have a test drive before having to place the official order. Rivian has the Assurance - money back, return policy (7 days, <1000 miles, etc) - I wonder what costs would not be refunded (delivery? other? the purchase contract will tell us, when it is our time).

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I'm pretty sure at this point, most or all on this forum know way more about Rivian's than most of these new Rivian employees. So yes, I can't wait for hopefully a test drive, that would be fun in "their" vehicle, but if they call me tomorrow to take delivery!!! Bring on the R1T!
Sponsored