Tailgate not dropping? Anyone else?

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Yep only by gravity, but it should drop once unlatched if truck is not facing downhill. Mine doesn’t even drop when truck on an uphill incline hence service ticket opened.
Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Yep, same issue here. Sometimes it works just fine and opens and other times not. I tried spraying some dry lube on the latches and the moving parts on each side of the tailgate. Can't say it appears to help though..

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Had this as an issue upon delivery. Tailgate wouldn’t automatically drop on level surface or even if the gate was lower than the hood. Opened a service ticket and service adjusted the tailgate mechanism. Now it always opens on level surface or when the gate is lower than the hod.

OP
OP
pfbz

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Thanks all.... Sort of bundling my minor issues into a future service ticket at this point.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Don’t let the naysayers dissuade you. It is definitely an issue on some trucks. On delivery mine would not drop automatically, no matter the angle. It is very clear looking at the alignment of the light bar with the brake lights that the top of my tailgate is pushed inward. I suspect this is the cause. I also have a service request to fix it.

Sponsored

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Mine was barely rubbing on the bed liner causing it to not drop 25% of the time. Easy fix while it was at SC for a few other minor issues I had batched up.

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
Mine requires 2 presses of the release button (first press loosens the release, 2nd press completely unlocks it) plus it doesn‘t open with gravity, as designed. Had it at SC for this and other issues for 2 weeks. After I picked it up it worked for a day but now it is broken again. Waiting for the past 2 weeks for the SC to schedule an appointment to fix this and 3 other comeback items not fixed.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Mine was having that problem. I recently cut a horse stall mat in the bed and cut it about 1/4" too long. It puts just a slight pressure on the gate section when up and now it always opens with the push of the button.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
From YouTube video reviews, I’ve seen that hitting the button is supposed to make it drop.
If it's on the internet, especially YT, it has to be true!

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Really love my new R1T, this is a pretty minor issue, but haven't seen other mention of it...

Pushing the tailgate release button inside or outside unlatches the tailgate, but it usually does not drop on its own, it needs a slight nudge. I'm sure the service center can deal with it along with some other very minor tweaks, but wondering if anyone else has seen this issue (and if there is perhaps a simple fix for it?)
Interestingly enough, watch/look at your suspension. If front is lower than back, or you're downhill in front, it won't lower. Sometimes if my suspension is not level and the front is down, it won't drop it just unlatches and I have to lift a damn finger to push it down a "bit". If I'm close to level or ass end down, it'll drop by gravity.

Sponsored

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
Mine used to but after a few yards of mulch in the bed, seems to be sticking. Not a big deal but boy does the spare tire area suck up crud if you load any kind of aggregate into the bed. Def not a work truck but for weekend warriors like me, no biggie.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Tailgate latch loop plates on the tailgate itself are not lined up properly with the latch mouth on the truck body.

there is play on the loop plates, just loosen the torx bits and line the latch loops up. 5 min fix
Sponsored