Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

*EDIT: Putting new stuff at the top to make it easier to notice it.

Rivian added a bunch of info about Demo Drives here:
https://rivian.com/support/demonstration-drives

I haven't seen anything posted about this yet. I just noticed that there were a few updates to the support pages, most notably this pretty detailed info about how the digital purchasing experience is going to happen:

https://rivian.com/support/article/how-can-i-prepare-for-the-digital-purchasing-experience

How can I prepare for the digital purchasing experience?
To help you prepare for Rivian's future digital purchasing experience, you can gather the following items:

For title and registration
If you plan to register as an individual, you'll need:

• The driver’s license of the person registering the vehicle including photos of the front and back
  • Your registration address
  • Your current license plate number (if you'd like to transfer your plates)
If you plan to have a co-registrant, you’ll need:

• The co-registrant's driver’s license (including photos of the front and back)
  • The co-registrant's email address and phone number
If you plan to register as a business, you’ll need:

• Your legal business name
  • Your business address
  • Your business license
  • Your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
For trade-in
If you plan to trade in a vehicle, you'll need:

• Trade-in vehicle’s license plate number or VIN
  • Trim level of your vehicle
  • Trade-in vehicle’s current mileage
  • Lender name and account number for your loan or lease (if applicable)
  • Photo of your title (if you hold it) or registration card (if you don’t hold your title)
For financing
If you plan to finance through Rivian, we’ll need the following documents and information (if financing with a co-registrant, you’ll need the items below for them, too).

• Your full legal name, phone number and email address
  • Your employment information (including income, employer’s name and phone number, years at job and any additional income information)
  • Your home details (including whether you rent, own or something else; monthly payment; address and time at current residence)
  • Your social security number
If you plan to finance outside of Rivian, we'll only need the following:

• The bank name
  • A letter of preapproval
  • A preapproval amount
For insurance
If you plan to insure through Rivian, you'll need the following:

• The Declarations Page of your current insurance plan
  • VIN numbers for any additional vehicles you’d like to include in your insurance plan
  • Driver’s license numbers for drivers other than yourself
  • VIN numbers for non-Rivian vehicles you would like to insure
  • Your current insurance coverages, limits and deductibles (this information can be found in your current policy document or in your insurer’s online portal or app)
If you plan to arrange third-party insurance, you'll need the following:

• Proof of insurance that's effective on the date you're taking delivery
For payment

• The login info for your online banking (if you don't use online banking, you may pay by check or wire transfer for the full amount due).
You can always reach out to your Rivian Guide if you have additional questions

And information about what voice command Alexa will support:
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-can-alexa-voice-commands-do-in-rivian-vehicles
What can Alexa voice commands do in Rivian vehicles?
Alexa is integrated from the ground up in your vehicle so you can control nearly anything managed by the driver display and touchscreen with your voice — even some physical controls. Simply say 'Alexa, set temperature to 72 degrees', 'open the front trunk' or anything else that comes to mind.
There's also quite a bit more information posted about Rivian Insurance and the Rewards.
https://rivian.com/support/article/how-do-rivians-insurance-rewards-work
(There are a lot more updates on the insurance pages but I won't post them all)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
The login info for your online banking (if you don't use online banking, you may pay by check or wire transfer for the full amount due).
UMMM NO

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Relax. All this probably means is that they integrated with a digital ACH platform like Plaid to handle the transfer of funds from your checking/savings to Rivian digitally.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I haven't seen anything posted about this yet. I just noticed that there were a few updates to the support pages, most notably this pretty detailed info about how the digital purchasing experience is going to happen:

https://rivian.com/support/article/how-can-i-prepare-for-the-digital-purchasing-experience

And information about what voice command Alexa will support:
https://rivian.com/support/article/what-can-alexa-voice-commands-do-in-rivian-vehicles

There's also quite a bit more information posted about Rivian Insurance and the Rewards.
https://rivian.com/support/article/how-do-rivians-insurance-rewards-work
(There are a lot more updates on the insurance pages but I won't post them all)
Interesting - under trade-in, this bullet makes it sound like they are accepting leased vehicles as trades:
But on an older FAQ about trade ins, they have this to say:

If your vehicle is currently leased, Rivian is unable to accept your vehicle as a trade-in.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Interesting - under trade-in, this bullet makes it sound like they are accepting leased vehicles as trades:
But on an older FAQ about trade ins, they have this to say:

If your vehicle is currently leased, Rivian is unable to accept your vehicle as a trade-in.
It may be a moot point, as many (perhaps most or all) leasing companies have updated their policies to refuse payoffs unless the leasee is purchasing themselves. No more trading in or selling to a third party.

You'd have to either buy out the lease with cash, or get a refinance loan. Then, once that's finalized, you could sell the vehicle in a second transaction.

Rivian R1T R1S Support Article Updates: Digital Purchasing, Alexa Info, and more signal-2021-08-31-151525_001

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
It may be a moot point, as many (perhaps most or all) leasing companies have updated their policies to refuse payoffs unless the leasee is purchasing themselves. No more trading in or selling to a third party.

You'd have to either buy out the lease with cash, or get a refinance loan. Then, once that's finalized, you could sell the vehicle in a second transaction.

signal-2021-08-31-151525_001.png
Good point, although I do not recall getting a similar notice from Lexus. I'm certain my Rx350 will hold its value well, and I expect I will have some positive equity in the vehicle by the time the lease is up next June. Worst case, I will buy it out to either trade to Rivian or sell to a third party - the extra chunk of change could pay for a handful of accessories (or, if I feel like splurging, black rims!).

Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Agreed, Connecting your bank account thru Plaid is one of the worst things as a consumer we can do to our financial privacy.

once connected thru Plaid, companies can regularly get all the transactions, so they can determine how and where we spend money, how we get the money thru the deposits etc.

If I have to connect thru Plaid as the only option, I immediately change the banking password after establishing initial connection. With initial connection, companies can verify it’s my account and get the account number and routing number.

Once we change the banking password company can’t can’t pull the history using plaid.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So this means no Credit card down payments? Was hoping to hit a SUB when the time came…
My wife asked about paying the down payment by credit card when she bought a Kia a couple years ago. They said they'd be happy to take the payment that way, for a low fee of 2.75%. There are definitely some SUBs that will still work in your favor with a 2.75% fee, but it takes away a lot of the value.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Agreed, Connecting your bank account thru Plaid is one of the worst things as a consumer we can do to our financial privacy.

once connected thru Plaid, companies can regularly get all the transactions, so they can determine how and where we spend money, how we get the money thru the deposits etc.

If I have to connect thru Plaid as the only option, I immediately change the banking password after establishing initial connection. With initial connection, companies can verify it’s my account and get the account number and routing number.

Once we change the banking password company can’t can’t pull the history using plaid.
Read the privacy policies and ToS for whatever service you connect. Many of them state what they do and do not collect, and how they are using that data.

Also, since you're specifically referencing where and how you spend money, make sure you check the same info for everywhere you spend your money, and the same info for whomever you're spending your money from (CC, Bank, etc). There are so many points where data is generated and collected along the way of a single transaction (do you have location services off on your phone?) that the reality is none of us is able to fully control our data or prevent it being used (anonymized or not) in 'big data' analysis.

This is not me arguing against data privacy - mostly trying to point out that if you don't take this tactic for ALL the data points in your life, there's not much point in taking that tactic for any data points in your life.