First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
With our cramped parking lots in downstate NY I'm very nervous regarding people backing in to my R1T resulting in huge bills (for me). So, to that end.. I flipped the script with some really solid bumper protection to the tune of a 1" thick solid forged cast iron step/protector which weighs in at a tad under 20lbs!

The unit included a locking hitch pin and Anti-rattle stabilizer with stainless steel U-Bolt, stainless nuts/washers. When I bought it 10 days ago on Amazon I paid $79 for it, but that was probably the last one from that seller and the ones available now are $102.. which is still a really good deal considering the super heavy duty build quality and 10,000lb tow rating.

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 1

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 2

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 3

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 4

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 5
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
I like it, but I'm a bit confused... The purpose of the 5 mph bumper is to take a 5 mph or less bump/hit from poor parking idiots & it suppose to bounce back & show minimal damage. With this hitch connected directly to your vehicle frame, bypassing the bumper's job, now that impact is directed at your vehicle's frame & IMO vehicle frame repair work is more expensive than a bumper repair. Just my thoughts, I could be very wrong here. :whew:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That also looks like an effective shin/ knee buster for you while walking behind your truck at night

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I like it, but I'm a bit confused... The purpose of the 5 mph bumper is to take a 5 mph or less bump/hit from poor parking idiots & it suppose to bounce back & show minimal damage. With this hitch connected directly to your vehicle frame, bypassing the bumper's job, now that impact is directed at your vehicle's frame & IMO vehicle frame repair work is more expensive than a bumper repair. Just my thoughts, I could be very wrong here. :whew:
Nah, truck would be fine.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
If the hitch can't handle a car bumping into this thing at 5MPH, how is it going to stop a 11,000lb trailer going 50MPH?

Also, the bumper may be able to handle a 5MPH collision without completely breaking, but that doesn't mean it won't look ugly after a 5MPH collision. There is no law requiring magic scratch-proof paint be used on the bumper.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Educate me on why a step is 10,000lb tow rated? Do you hook a trailer to the step? Serious question, i don't follow.
If you remove the step, the hitch itself can handle 10,000 tow. just make sure the vehicle can as well. R1T = 11,000 & R1S = 7,700 towing capacity, i think that's right.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
color me confused. i thought the step just slid into the existing rivian hitch.

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
You can wrap a tug-em strap around the device and use it to pull another vehicle out of whatever it's stuck in or pull out shrubs, small stumps, etc.. or use it for a tow strap attachment to pull a disabled vehicle off the road, home, etc..

From a similar product.. the idea is the same for pulling/ the 10,000 tow rating.

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 1701978348759

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That also looks like an effective shin/ knee buster for you while walking behind your truck at night

That will teach em for trying to sneak up on my Rivian at night o_O

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Quicker to replace the truck from frame damage and being totaled out than wait 3 months for repairs. 👍🏻.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I literally spit out my [insert beverage of choice] when I read your post and saw this meme.

Well done sir.

Well done.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
With our cramped parking lots in downstate NY I'm very nervous regarding people backing in to my R1T resulting in huge bills (for me). So, to that end.. I flipped the script with some really solid bumper protection to the tune of a 1" thick solid forged cast iron step/protector which weighs in at a tad under 20lbs!

The unit included a locking hitch pin and Anti-rattle stabilizer with stainless steel U-Bolt, stainless nuts/washers. When I bought it 10 days ago on Amazon I paid $79 for it, but
Another option…don’t have my R1T yet so don’t know how it will look. Looks fine when I tried it on my Ridgeline. Sticks out just far enough, but not too far. (Not my picture). Spare bumper.com $199. Forum user Macktheknife has one installed on their Rivian and seems pleased.

Rivian R1T R1S Super Heavy Duty Hitch Step / Bumper Protector with Photos 1702006667765

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs