Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You are wise to go to the service center. I have experience few month ago on my Tesla an unbalance battery cell issue with our battery that limit the charging to 37%. Finally they changed the complete battery that was 34 month old. So it is important that the service center test your battery…. Good lock
Thanks for the encouragement!
Sponsored

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Nothing we can do, obviously your battery is having issues because the range displayed on the estimation screen typically doesn't dip below what the EPA calculation is.
Agreed. At first we thought that it could be efficiency range needed to be updated with better driving conditions. But after achieving very good efficiency obver our road trip and seeing the charger data and help from the forum we came to conclusion it must be a defect in the battery. 😟we will fill in thread after SC appointment tomorrow

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
I think @OnePedaler's logic goes something like this:

(1) This loss of battery capacity is really strange.
(2) Maybe the Forum participants can tell me how to diagnose something I can fix myself.
(3) If it needs a Service Center visit anyway, then further DIY diagnostic steps don't matter much to me.

That's the logic I would use. I don't find @OnePedaler's posts frustrating at all. Sorry if others do.

There, have I mansplained it sufficiently? Can we all let @OnePedaler do her thing, and hope that her good experiences will attract other female Rivian owners to participate fully in our community?

Thanks to all!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
By what you have posted, it's likely that one or more of the battery modules have a capacity problem, but is still online so that explains the absence of warnings/codes thrown. If a module goes offline the vehicle throws all sorts of codes and goes in to limp mode. Hopefully that doesn't happen on your way to the Service Center and you are very fortunate that didn't happen when you were on your trip.

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Doesn't matter either way to me. I know she will get it squared away at the SC. I don't blame her for not wanting to go further. I also can't blame others here for being curious 🧐 as to what is going on since the group has not seen this before.

I am happy @OnePedaler will come back and update us on the SC visit. I'm really curious as usually anything battery related causes major error messages.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think @OnePedaler's logic goes something like this:

(1) This loss of battery capacity is really strange.
(2) Maybe the Forum participants can tell me how to diagnose something I can fix myself.
(3) If it needs a Service Center visit anyway, then further DIY diagnostic steps don't matter much to me.

That's the logic I would use. I don't find @OnePedaler's posts frustrating at all. Sorry if others do.

There, have I mansplained it sufficiently? Can we all let @OnePedaler do her thing, and hope that her good experiences will attract other female Rivian owners to participate fully in our community?

Thanks to all!
Dang, I didn't even notice she was female. Lemme go back and alter my responses to reflect this.

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Definitely a service call. Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the battery? Sounds like approximately half of the battery is disconnected.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Having these would QUICKLY tell us if it's software or hardware issue.

Rivian R1T R1S Sudden Battery Capacity Loss 1000008918

Edit: moved the arrow to the right value

Rivian R1T R1S Sudden Battery Capacity Loss 1000008919

Last edited:

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Agreed. At first we thought that it could be efficiency range needed to be updated with better driving conditions. But after achieving very good efficiency obver our road trip and seeing the charger data and help from the forum we came to conclusion it must be a defect in the battery. 😟we will fill in thread after SC appointment tomorrow
any news?

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

TICK TOCK, POST O-CLOCK. Let's hear what happened @OnePedaler

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Update: Making progress but the repair isn’t done yet. Dropped off Tuesday. The SC confirmed the battery was the problem. The new battery arrived. Now being installed and synced with firmware and software. We hope to pick up Monday and will drill down with the tech to understand what the damage was and theories on why it occurred. Will share that info with you all. (We miss driving our R1S! Our rental is a Mazda CX-9 SUV)

OP
OP
OnePedaler

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Final update: Repair complete. Took 9.7 hours of labor to replace battery and sync systems up with the new battery. Test drive by SC confirmed all is good. See attached Energy status and range of 273 miles (vs 150 miles) estimated for All Purpose Mode at 100%.

In shop from Tuesday to end of day Friday 3/8/24. We will pick up today. The battery was sent to a Rivian location to do forensic work on what went wrong. The SC manager told us that Rivian does not reveal results of that investigation as it’s considered proprietary information. Disappointed not to be able to know more and share with you all!

We look forward to our road trip from Ohio to SD with a full capacity battery (and at least one Waffle House stop along the way).

Rivian R1T R1S Sudden Battery Capacity Loss IMG_2958

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The battery was sent to a Rivian location to do forensic work on what went wrong. The SC manager told us that Rivian does not reveal results of that investigation as it’s considered proprietary information. Disappointed not to be able to know more and share with you all!
Thanks for helping make Rivian batteries better in the future!