Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm sure you will be fine especially if you are taking major highways. I'm about to head out on my first EV road trip this week to northern Minnesota. I'm not worried about the highway part, just all the little towns with 1 50kw chargers that I have to use in order to get there. Giving myself extra time just in case something goes wrong.
This is my concern for our trips to Utah. Lots of great little towns with very few charging options. Good luck!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
On the potential flat tire issue - make sure you watch some YouTube vids on how to to a field repair with whatever kit you’re using, whether it’s a standard plug, Slime can, etc.

Also make sure you look up a video or instructions on how a Rivian should be towed so you can explain it to a tow truck driver in the unfortunate event you need one. They can cause some serious damage on the Rivian if they do it wrong. Maybe save the instructions to your phone.

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Two things

1. get a squeegee with window cleaner. They don’t have them at charging stations
2. Make sure you have a Tesla adapter for destination charging.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Adventure vehicle = adventure. Go for it!

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
As everyone has said, use ABRP. You'll probably want to validate charging station operation in pinch points like KS. I also probably would try to avoid Montana.

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
As a new EV driver, I was most worried about the one pedal driving and getting used to that. We did a first mile test drive in Denver months ago and that was my first time driving using one pedal driving and it made me nervous. When we got our R1S, I found it wasn't that bad and got the hang of it right away driving back home (6 mile drive). If you are not familiar with one pedal driving, think of it like driving a golf cart (assuming you've driven a golf cart). That was the best analogy for me.

Also people recommended starting off driving in all purpose mode and then when you get to the highway and it's open, switch to conserve mode to maximize range and then switch back to all purpose when getting ready to exit or encounter traffic. That will help you maximize range and prevent you from wearing out your tires.

Let us know how the trip goes! My wife's family is from Boston so i'm sure we'll be doing that trip at some point.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I did not have a spare, I have AAA and the R1S had a stop leak kit plus the compressor and hose. I have been driving the Model S for 7 years with no spare (or patch kit) and have not had a disabling flat in over 40 years (knocking on wood) so was not a huge concern for me.
JINX!!!!

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Honestly the Rivian was my first EV and I was also worried about adapting and range anxiety. It's really easy and I figured it out right away. Just use the route planners and check with the apps to plan your drive before you go. Follow the instructions on charging stops and percentages and remember that if you are running out of power you are more efficient slower.

So instead of 80 you'll go a much longer distance at 65 driving conservatively. You most likely won't even need to take that into account though if you plan accordingly and stick to major highways. There are usually enough charging stops within range to top off even if you need to hit a 50KW and wait a little longer don't skip a stop you're supposed to have made and you will be fine.

Dirtcom_AJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Automotive Design
The very next day from receiving my R1T we went on a 1,000 mile round trip with about 80 miles of offroad. Like you, I didn't just have range anxiety, I had EV anxiety as a whole since it was our first full EV vehicle. Fellow R1T owner gave me the best advice about downloading and signing up for all the charging apps before receiving the vehicle (Electrify America, Charge Point, EVgo, Plug Share). This made charging at any charging station I happened to come upon way less stressful and I did not have to fumble with my credit card. Anxiety is being uncertain about the future, so to easily cure range anxiety all you have to do is plan ahead!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
This is going to be an amazing adventure. And while it’s not fair to say “don’t worry” - I‘d be super comfortable taking the plunge.

Have a wonderful trip, and please post pictures!