Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
A agree with the brown leather option - that would be a great addition. If not that, the option of the brown wood with Black Mountain would look great.
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Look at a Model X for comparison:

White is the only no cost color. Paint options cost $1500-$2500

Only one set of standard wheels (20"). 22" wheels are a $5500 option.

5 seats are standard. 7 seats is a $3500 option.

Black interior standard. White or beige interior is a $1500 option.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Look at a Model X for comparison:

White is the only no cost color. Paint options cost $1500-$2500

Only one set of standard wheels (20"). 22" wheels are a $5500 option.

5 seats are standard. 7 seats is a $3500 option.

Black interior standard. White or beige interior is a $1500 option.
Great points—not to mention the $10,000 Autopilot option.

dzmconstr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S 75D
i personally don't feel like the up charges are that crazy. a lot of other car manufacturers charge for thing for things like paint upgrades. lots of car manufacturers also charge for things like navigation.

$5k for camp kitchen doesn't seem out out of the question. i mean just a wheel upgrade from tesla 19" tempest wheels to the 21" wheels is $4500...
Aftermarket will come along for the camp kitchen...and many moree things you haven't thought about. But for those that want direct OEM, under warranty, single delivery no lost time, $5k is not bad considering the mechanics and engineering that I'm sure that went into it. Aftermarket will just copy and duplicate with crap from China for $3k.

BDiddy669

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I really wish they had a natural wood plus brown leather option. I know it’s not real leather, but that should give even more color options. I really like the Ford king ranch leather, and bmw/other European car dark rich brown colors. Hoping they add at least some combination options before launch, would be great to get black leather with light wood, or brown wood, not the black wood option.
Agreed! I love the medium brown wood from the Forest Edge interior option but really DO NOT love the sage green "leather". Its VERY frustrating that, at the moment, you can't pick a black "leather" interior with the medium brown wood. I am NOT a fan of the black wood. So I felt really stuck and frustrated when I went to configure. grrrr

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Well, having been to events and watched the vehicles running around for over a year now, I was half expecting the blue, named after the founder, to be a launch color, not the most expensive optional color. I have trouble justifying $2,500 for the color of my car, when there are much better ways to spend that money, so its either white or launch green for me.
I'm finding myself in the same boat, although I keep going back and forth. On the one hand, $2.5k extra for a different color seems absurd especially if you can live with the free options (launch green, white, or silver). You could also keep that $ handy for a color wrap down the line for more customization. On the other hand, like many have mentioned, this is not unlike what other manufacturers do anyway, and $2.5k on a ~$80k vehicle is likely just tens of dollars more on your financing payment. Why not spend the extra 3% and get the exact color you want :).

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'm finding myself in the same boat, although I keep going back and forth. On the one hand, $2.5k extra for a different color seems absurd especially if you can live with the free options (launch green, white, or silver). You could also keep that $ handy for a color wrap down the line for more customization. On the other hand, like many have mentioned, this is not unlike what other manufacturers do anyway, and $2.5k on a ~$80k vehicle is likely just tens of dollars more on your financing payment. Why not spend the extra 3% and get the exact color you want :).
Yeah good points. What I also noticed, in the configurator, is now you can pick the "base model" 135kwh and while it only comes with the black trim (no wood) and black or white seats, that $7500 savings plus saving the premium color cost of $2500 would pay for that enormous 180kwh battery. Not that it matters, I've got my LE green + black interior + off-road wheels configured because I plan on doing some camping trips and adventuring off the beaten path to Colorado and Moab next year.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Yeah good points. What I also noticed, in the configurator, is now you can pick the "base model" 135kwh and while it only comes with the black trim (no wood) and black or white seats, that $7500 savings plus saving the premium color cost of $2500 would pay for that enormous 180kwh battery. Not that it matters, I've got my LE green + black interior + off-road wheels configured because I plan on doing some camping trips and adventuring off the beaten path to Colorado and Moab next year.
Agreed, I did consider dropping to the Explore package as well - out of all the included upgrades included in the Adventure/LE package the only one that seems worthwhile for me to pay for is the wheel (either 20" or 22"). But then my mind goes to a dangerous place ... " if I'm paying for the wheel upgrade, for just x$ more I can get the offroad upgrade included (although I'll probably never use it) and who doesn't want 360 audio (even though the standard one probably is better than most systems)".

Mathmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Audi Q5, soon an R1T
Agreed, I did consider dropping to the Explore package as well - out of all the included upgrades included in the Adventure/LE package the only one that seems worthwhile for me to pay for is the wheel (either 20" or 22"). But then my mind goes to a dangerous place ... " if I'm paying for the wheel upgrade, for just x$ more I can get the offroad upgrade included (although I'll probably never use it) and who doesn't want 360 audio (even though the standard one probably is better than most systems)".
This!

To me the $7,500 difference between Explore and Adventure/LE is actually really reasonable. Many of the upgrades I actually want....powered tonneau, premium sound, microfiber headliner that matches the other black interior finishes, upgraded floor mats, ventilated seats, and while I won't use it much the off-road package with air compressor is cool to have. The compass yellow accents, meh, and then I would actually prefer the matte black dash over the wood. The free wheel upgrade and getting the vehicle 6 months sooner on the LE is icing on the cake as well.

While I'd love to have the max battery pack, $10k for something that will provide me benefit maybe a few times a year doesn't seem worth it. The benefit being that I maybe get to stop at one or two fewer charging stations on a long trip.

And for my opinion on the OP, it makes sense to me and is consistent with other manufacturers as others have stated. White and Silver are the 2 "free" paint options, and are probably the 2 most common car colors (might be some causation there, but definitely correlation). I'm ordering black, and I fully expected to have to pay extra for that.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
So I was rewatching one of the production tour videos from RJ and couldn't help adding captions to this particular scene:
Rivian Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra {filename}

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm wondering if there's additional circuitry that's involved with the camp kitchen, or if it just plugs into the onboard 120V inverter. It would be neat to pull HV right out of the battery but it seems unlikely because of just how high the voltage is, a damaged wire getting exposed would be a huge problem.
I have no idea how they'll actually do it... But if they wanted to safely leverage the high voltage they could do so by having large-gauge conductors for the high voltage circuit, with a normally-open contactor that is actuated by a low voltage signal on a third wire, or even over CANBUS. That way, the high voltage lines are not energized unless a self-test passes and the vehicle authenticates with a module in the camping stove.

My #1 would be a brown leather, but I had to go black. I also would love to have the option to use the medium brown wood from the Forest Edge interior instead of the black stained wood in Black Mountain.
I agree. I'm on the fence about the Forest Edge. I kind of like the green, but worry I may grow tired of it. I also don't want to pay the price premium. I've got brown leather in my current vehicle and I love it. I'd like to see a brown option in the R1T. I'm okay with the black interior, as well, although it'd be nice to have the brown ash wood so it's not black-on-black-on-black.

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I have no doubt the camp stove will run on the same 120v inverter that powers the 120v bed plugs and possibly the air pump system. Much Thinner gauge wire required if you use 120v vs 12v for feeding those items. Theres supposed to be several plugs around the vehicle, in the frunk, in the bed, in the gear tunnel.... the induction cooktop will create 99% of the load from the camp kitchen, and the majority of the available options for induction cooktops run on 120v.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I have no doubt the camp stove will run on the same 120v inverter that powers the 120v bed plugs and possibly the air pump system. Much Thinner gauge wire required if you use 120v vs 12v for feeding those items. Theres supposed to be several plugs around the vehicle, in the frunk, in the bed, in the gear tunnel.... the induction cooktop will create 99% of the load from the camp kitchen, and the majority of the available options for induction cooktops run on 120v.
It's a 1440W 120V cooktop (12A). Outlets are 15A (total or each is not clear).

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Theres supposed to be several plugs around the vehicle, in the frunk, in the bed, in the gear tunnel....
I have yet to see confirmation or any pictures that show a plug in the frunk.... However, I remember seeing video of them talking about the possibility for custom fridge for the frunk at some of the events back in 2019. At that time I figured power in the frunk was a certainty. Now I am not so sure...

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I have yet to see confirmation or any pictures that show a plug in the frunk.... However, I remember seeing video of them talking about the possibility for custom fridge for the frunk at some of the events back in 2019. At that time I figured power in the frunk was a certainty. Now I am not so sure...
What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t
Sponsored