Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
For the kitchen I would point out that I think the materials costs is huge. Just with the cookware which is Snow Peak titanium (very expensive, probably 1k worth in the video alone) they have premium materials. I'm sure the rest of the kitchen is made out of the good stuff.
Isn’t the cookware extra charge? I thought it states it was not included?
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t
So the R1T includes ZERO cigarette lighters in the frunk? Sorry folks, but I’m out if I can’t pop the hood and light my Marlboros. Calling CS right now to cancel my reservation.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

https://rivian.com/support/article/what-are-the-onboard-outlets-in-the-r1t
I guess that's why I haven't seen it before.... I have been looking at the R1S and for the most part ignoring the R1T.... I am guessing that the answer is specific to the R1T at this time due to the fact they are still working on the interior of the R1S... However, there is no reason to believe the frunk of the R1S won't be identical to the R1T... Thanks!

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Tesla Autopilot is included with all Tesla’s, FSD is optional
Autopilot, full self driving, whatever....$10K is a steep upcharge for an expensive vehicle.

Sponsored

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
So I didn't see this mentioned but are the other colors higher quality paint ? Metallic etc or just pure markup for an option that costs the same to produce

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

You could probably ask customer service and get this response: "Rivian will be happy to share that information with you closer to production launch."

Seriously though. I don't think we know. My guess is there is no significant difference in quality and it is just markup.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
So I didn't see this mentioned but are the other colors higher quality paint ? Metallic etc or just pure markup for an option that costs the same to produce
I seem to recall seeing somewhere that all the paints except for Glacier White are metallic flaked

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
A lot of the car manufacturers are going down the path of charging extra for some colors. It is not just a Rivian thing. There is usually no difference in the paint. Just a way for them to offer options that the consumers scream for and yet recoup some of the cost involved in switching between colors in the paint pools and/or booths.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
They literally painted all their factory robots in their most "expensive" color, the Rivian Blue. Hard to imagine them doing that if it did actually cost more to produce/procure.

A lot of the car manufacturers are going down the path of charging extra for some colors. It is not just a Rivian thing. There is usually no difference in the paint. Just a way for them to offer options that the consumers scream for and yet recoup some of the cost involved in switching between colors in the paint pools and/or booths.
Agreed, although there is a variance in just how much of an upcharge paint colors are. Tesla Model X's are in the $1500 - $2500 range, but the other day I was configuring an X5 plug-in hybrid for fun (~$70k build) and all of their metallic colors were just $550 more. BMW being a larger, higher-volume manufacturer definitely plays in (more manufacturing lines, lower paint cost etc) but at the end of the day I do think it's one of those areas where companies will look to pad their bottom line regardless of what the colors actually cost.
Sponsored