Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
So besides the option for preorder green, only white and black are standard options, otherwise is $1,500, or $2500 for blue and yellow :confused:

Biggest disappointment for me is the interior... if you want that cool green “leather” it’s $2,000 extra. I like it, but not that much. And I don’t want beige seats. So black it is, but would be nice to get the brown colored wood with black, like Tesla had available. Better than glossy black I suppose.

I really like the camp kitchen, and kudos to them for making it available, but seems you could replicate it for about a quarter of the price, $5,000 is quite a lot. Anyone have thoughts on this?
It also looks like we finally have a price for the 180kwh pack, $10,000 more. Seems reasonable for the 50kwh or so increase in battery size.

Rivian R1T R1S Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra C9E257A1-80CA-45BA-A729-D03A2A4A44BC

Rivian R1T R1S Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra B4198B96-6366-4ADD-AD2B-F6FCF96FF677

Rivian R1T R1S Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra 316E8231-665C-4CF9-AC67-D4944A78DC14

Rivian R1T R1S Somewhat disappointing- colors cost extra 75D98316-5996-4540-8D81-E9A8590D13EA
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm wondering if there's additional circuitry that's involved with the camp kitchen, or if it just plugs into the onboard 120V inverter. It would be neat to pull HV right out of the battery but it seems unlikely because of just how high the voltage is, a damaged wire getting exposed would be a huge problem.

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'm wondering if there's additional circuitry that's involved with the camp kitchen, or if it just plugs into the onboard 120V inverter. It would be neat to pull HV right out of the battery but it seems unlikely because of just how high the voltage is, a damaged wire getting exposed would be a huge problem.
I’d bet it simply plugs into the 120v outlet they have in the gear tunnel.

posix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 Turbo, BMW 3.0cs
i personally don't feel like the up charges are that crazy. a lot of other car manufacturers charge for thing for things like paint upgrades. lots of car manufacturers also charge for things like navigation.

$5k for camp kitchen doesn't seem out out of the question. i mean just a wheel upgrade from tesla 19" tempest wheels to the 21" wheels is $4500...

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Very true. Can’t expect everything for free. I can’t wait until we see some good photos of the launch green, in sunlight and outside to get a feel for it.

Sponsored

posix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 Turbo, BMW 3.0cs
i think build quality is everything. been in my share of teslas and they all felt pretty mediocre when compared to something like a range rover. from the photos, it looks to be up to par with higher end vehicles. especially the interior!

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I really wish they had a natural wood plus brown leather option. I know it’s not real leather, but that should give even more color options. I really like the Ford king ranch leather, and bmw/other European car dark rich brown colors. Hoping they add at least some combination options before launch, would be great to get black leather with light wood, or brown wood, not the black wood option.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I really wish they had a natural wood plus brown leather option. I know it’s not real leather, but that should give even more color options. I really like the Ford king ranch leather, and bmw/other European car dark rich brown colors. Hoping they add at least some combination options before launch, would be great to get black leather with light wood, or brown wood, not the black wood option.
My #1 would be a brown leather, but I had to go black. I also would love to have the option to use the medium brown wood from the Forest Edge interior instead of the black stained wood in Black Mountain.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

For the kitchen I would point out that I think the materials costs is huge. Just with the cookware which is Snow Peak titanium (very expensive, probably 1k worth in the video alone) they have premium materials. I'm sure the rest of the kitchen is made out of the good stuff.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

For the kitchen I would point out that I think the materials costs is huge. Just with the cookware which is Snow Peak titanium (very expensive, probably 1k worth in the video alone) they have premium materials. I'm sure the rest of the kitchen is made out of the good stuff.

I think I saw that the cookware is a Optional extra on top of the 5k cost. If you look at the configurator I dont know if its actually included in the 5k.

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I think I saw that the cookware is a Optional extra on top of the 5k cost. If you look at the configurator I dont know if its actually included in the 5k.
Exactly. IF they were including $1,000 in titanium cookware for $5,000 it’s a little more palatable. What’s a really good induction cooktop cost, $500?! A nice sink, tank and pump, $500-1000? Engineering it all costs a bit and the housing plus slider to bring it in and out of the gear tunnel. But it really feels like a huge markup, seems like a great opportunity for an overland outfitter to make a solution for cheaper.

Plus, how great would it be to have a Dometic that fits in the gear tunnel? Seems there would be room for a specially designed slanted fridge plus small sink and maybe a smaller cooktop.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Plus, how great would it be to have a Dometic that fits in the gear tunnel? Seems there would be room for a specially designed slanted fridge plus small sink and maybe a smaller cooktop.
Cool idea. There are definitely other options on how you could DIY to get the same functionality for much less expensive, but I'm sure there are many who are willing to pay for an off the shelf solution or would like to roll it into their note.

For me, I'll have to see how my ARB Elements fridge fits in the back or frunk of the R1S. I'm fine with much simpler cooking & water solutions, but the camp kitchen is damn cool.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

How is this disappointing when it’s what literally every auto company does, and many at much higher prices

OP
OP
Ssaygmo

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
How is this disappointing when it’s what literally every auto company does, and many at much higher prices
Well, having been to events and watched the vehicles running around for over a year now, I was half expecting the blue, named after the founder, to be a launch color, not the most expensive optional color. I have trouble justifying $2,500 for the color of my car, when there are much better ways to spend that money, so its either white or launch green for me.
Sponsored