Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

My guess is slow and fully tested is significantly faster then the issue they've had in the recent past.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather get later and right than issues disabling portions of the vehicle and corresponding fire drill to get it fixed and back into service. Anyone reading about that mess here probably feels the same way.
Sponsored

Spyderman09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S/Tesla Model S Plaid
Unless Rivian has a very different understanding than I do about the meaning of "very rare", this part of the update won't do anything for most people.
Rivian (nor any auto manufacturer) would actually state the issue as widely-spread. That runs into the optics and mess of a “recall.”

I’m certainly not saying this WILL fix anything (for many or few) but if they were to say anything but what they did, it would go against their company line (where I think they’ve been telling folks on the forum it is normal) and invite PR issues.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I'm seeing 2023.50.1 installed yesterday, so looks like they found an issue and testing that now. If all goes well I'd venture late next week for a full release.

Rivian R1T R1S Software Update 2023.50 -- Scheduled battery preconditioning & other useful improvements! rivi-soft

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian (nor any auto manufacturer) would actually state the issue as widely-spread. That runs into the optics and mess of a “recall.”
Recalls are really only for safety related issues.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm seeing 2023.50.1 installed yesterday, so looks like they found an issue and testing that now. If all goes well I'd venture late next week for a full release.

rivi-soft.png
See the previous 10+ posts. 50.1 actually added some quite useful features that were not in 50.0. It isn't just a "whoops, we found something wrong with 50.0"

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
My general point was that the optics of going back against what has been a company line is likely not something they want. That’s also why I used quotes around recall.
If they wanted to hide the change, they could just say miscellaneous bug fixes like the competition does. They are in no way obligated to describe every change they make.

I really appreciate Rivian's transparency on their software updates.

I really hope they don't start thinking it makes them look bad to acknowledge when they fix something. I think the opposite, it looks really good when a company tells their customers exactly what they fixed.

The only thing I wish they would do differently is also be transparent with their to-do list. Bugs are much less annoying when you know the developers are working on it.

Spyderman09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S/Tesla Model S Plaid
If they wanted to hide the change, they could just say miscellaneous bug fixes like the competition does. They are in no way obligated to describe every change they make.

I really appreciate Rivian's transparency on their software updates.

I really hope they don't start thinking it makes them look bad to acknowledge when they fix something. I think the opposite, it looks really good when a company tells their customers exactly what they fixed.

The only thing I wish they would do differently is also be transparent with their to-do list. Bugs are much less annoying when you know the developers are working on it.
I agree - I’d much rather the transparency, and my hope (have only had my R1S a month) is that the updates continue to be fulsome and well documented. There are certainly updates I get in the Tesla that I have to hunt online for an understanding of “minor bug fixes and improvements”.

I also don’t disagree that it would be refreshing for them to say something like “implemented fix aimed at reducing standby drain” or something similar. I just think that, as much as they’ve been pushing the line that it is “normal” to have the vampire drain being reported, especially recently, it would be an about face in a fairly short amount of time. I would certainly welcome it, but I just don’t expect it.

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
Just got the prompt to install 2023.50.1. Installing now…

Sponsored

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect

RivianNE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla 3 LR Dual | 2022 R1T Quad
Same here

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Just got the prompt to install 2023.50.1. Installing now…
No joy in Max Pack Land. Large Charge Marge is still sporting 2023.46.0...

Reactions: sub

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Scottm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
physician
Update completed successfully. It took about 40 minutes.
Sponsored