First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Oh, that would be awesome! Not sure if timing will work though. I'm in Paso Robles area and we're off to Yosemite on Monday. I'd probably have to take a drive over the weekend to get them. It was a last minute thought to purchase and nobody can get them to me before the weekend.

I don't anticipate needing them but I was kind of surprised they didn't require chains up there for all vehicles last year. We went up right after the big snowfall around New Years and it was a mess. There was a Sprinter van in the bank on the inside of a hairpin with a brand new Wrangler Rubicon stuck to the side of it, plus a few other random vehicles thrown in the mix! At another point in the road an Expedition came around the corner towards us and then just started sliding sideways towards the edge of the road. I could barely stand still on the road without holding onto the car but my trusty LR3 without chains never spun a tire! I will miss that thing....

If it works out and I could borrow (mostly for legal reasons) that would be great! I've never needed them but after last year and the fact that it is supposed to snow from tomorrow through Monday I'm a little on edge that they will be required.

Thanks!
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Oh, that would be awesome! Not sure if timing will work though. I'm in Paso Robles area and we're off to Yosemite on Monday. I'd probably have to take a drive over the weekend to get them. It was a last minute thought to purchase and nobody can get them to me before the weekend.

I don't anticipate needing them but I was kind of surprised they didn't require chains up there for all vehicles last year. We went up right after the big snowfall around New Years and it was a mess. There was a Sprinter van in the bank on the inside of a hairpin with a brand new Wrangler Rubicon stuck to the side of it, plus a few other random vehicles thrown in the mix! At another point in the road an Expedition came around the corner towards us and then just started sliding sideways towards the edge of the road. I could barely stand still on the road without holding onto the car but my trusty LR3 without chains never spun a tire! I will miss that thing....

If it works out and I could borrow (mostly for legal reasons) that would be great! I've never needed them but after last year and the fact that it is supposed to snow from tomorrow through Monday I'm a little on edge that they will be required.

Thanks!
Sounds like we could meet somewhere in-between whenever you're nearest the Bay Area. I'm fine with driving south a bit, San Jose or Santa Cruz is no trouble.
If you're on the factory Pirelli tires and you encounter snow, these will make a big difference. I've just swapped to proper snow tires and it's night and day. I'm not sure Snow Mode has made much difference. I still find Rock mode is more effective, but the snow tires make the R1T feel more like the LR3. The R1T is patently a Range Rover if it were an EV.
I've had Range Rovers "forever" and once had an LR3 as a loaner so I just had to take it off road and play with all the new terrain modes. Between the traction control and the suspension articulation, it was defying physics, captain.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Except CA has never had an R3 condition – Caltrans invariably closes the road. : )
Having driven in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, Colorado … Caltrans is astonishingly incapable of keeping the roads clear during the few, brief heavy storms experienced from decade to decade …
Many of their problems stem from traffic build up on long stretches of relatively narrow roads. They can’t get the plows around the traffic, the snow builds up, and then they have to shut down the road to clear it. At least going up to Tahoe. California lacks infrastructure funding, but they also have a lot of roads. Around Salt Lake City it’s basically 5 major pathways so it’s somewhat less complicated logistically getting the plows out and staying ahead of the storm.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Many of their problems stem from traffic build up on long stretches of relatively narrow roads. They can’t get the plows around the traffic, the snow builds up, and then they have to shut down the road to clear it. At least going up to Tahoe. California lacks infrastructure funding, but they also have a lot of roads. Around Salt Lake City it’s basically 5 major pathways so it’s somewhat less complicated logistically getting the plows out and staying ahead of the storm.
I think that's true for I-50 for example. Once there's trouble, there's no access, a cliff on one side, a rock face on the other. For I-80 from Sacramento to Truckee, it's two wide lanes and two wide hard shoulders for both directions with overpasses every few miles. A snowflake wafts over the summit and they close both directions for 50 miles. : )
Yesterday, clear blue skies, damp or dry asphalt, no snow on the ground and a single vehicle spin-out … looked like a horrible fatality crash, the first responders need safe working space (which they did not create, there were no vehicles positioned to protect the EMTs) and the CHP and Caltrans blocked the left lane for a few (10?) miles, left traffic to deal with itself (immediate chaos.) I encountered the same situation near Chicago, they put up a string of cones to snake the traffic across to the right to kept three lanes open using the right hard shoulder as a lane … a slowdown, but not a stop-n-go for an hour (!) ...
Fortunately, we charged at Auburn and had ample (pun) reserves, but mi/kWh dropped to 0.8 … if I'd been relying upon averaging 1.5 mi/kWh (mountainous area, high speed) and not stopped to charge, hoping to "squeak it in" on 5%, I would have had to stop somewhere and charge at 50kW (or less) to "top up" … anyway, practically impossible to make that 50 mile stretch without having a sensible charging strategy and that's in part due to knowing Caltrans cannot keep that freeway open.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Tried super z8 today on my R1S. I admit I am not the strongest person but that thing took me like 10 minutes to install. I had to pull really hard to to connect both the front fasteners. then the tensioner also need quite a bit force as well but still that’s quick.

71E7DCD4-C91B-4365-BB1C-5D0336B48234.jpeg
The Peerless AutoTrac are super easy to install. Took a minute or 2 to install each
Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. Chains1.JPEG
and are self tightening

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The Peerless AutoTrac are super easy to install. Took a minute or 2 to install each
Chains1.JPEG
and are self tightening
I think the largest fitment is 275/50R20, not 65, so you're lucky (ish) the larger 22" wheel diameter is wrapped in an overall smaller diameter tire, 275/50R22.

I think you can see the spacing of the links around the tensioners is wider than the other links. I've positioned some equal length blue lines to illustrate. The's also one link that's over the wheel, so there needs to be some initial slack for the chain to reposition itself before the tensioners snug up.

Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.27.10 AM

I like the new dual-tensioner design, I have it for the Model X. Quick and painless compared to most diamond chains with the hoop (and conveniently smaller) but I think it needs a little more thought in how the tensioners function (and at least one larger, beefier size for heavy off-road vehicles with 275/65R20 or larger tires.) Great for a quick on-road problem solver, but could be a lot better for off-road and rough conditions.

p.s. I exchanged emails with support at peerless, they seem to realize the rubber tensioner is too small and too stiff, but don't seem to want to do anything about it. I kept asking them "just tell me a larger tensioner size" and they kept asking if I could send more detailed photos and part numbers … it's not a little too small, it's absurdly too small …

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
here's the older style chain-bungee tensioner … stuffed onto the rear of the R1T with 20's in snow … good enough to get me moving … not pretty …
Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. 1672338976459

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
here's the older style chain-bungee tensioner … stuffed onto the rear of the R1T with 20's in snow … good enough to get me moving … not pretty …
1672338976459.png
Thanks for sharing! Does this works with high suspension height in all purpose mode? Or have to be highest in off-road?

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Thanks for sharing! Does this works with high suspension height in all purpose mode? Or have to be highest in off-road?
plenty of clearance at all heights and with the steering turned to both locks (with the chains "tested" on the fronts)

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I think the largest fitment is 275/50R20, not 65, so you're lucky (ish) the larger 22" wheel diameter is wrapped in an overall smaller diameter tire, 275/50R22.

I think you can see the spacing of the links around the tensioners is wider than the other links. I've positioned some equal length blue lines to illustrate. The's also one link that's over the wheel, so there needs to be some initial slack for the chain to reposition itself before the tensioners snug up.

Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.27.10 AM.png

I like the new dual-tensioner design, I have it for the Model X. Quick and painless compared to most diamond chains with the hoop (and conveniently smaller) but I think it needs a little more thought in how the tensioners function (and at least one larger, beefier size for heavy off-road vehicles with 275/65R20 or larger tires.) Great for a quick on-road problem solver, but could be a lot better for off-road and rough conditions.

p.s. I exchanged emails with support at peerless, they seem to realize the rubber tensioner is too small and too stiff, but don't seem to want to do anything about it. I kept asking them "just tell me a larger tensioner size" and they kept asking if I could send more detailed photos and part numbers … it's not a little too small, it's absurdly too small …
Pretty sure I could have aligned them better but all I wanted to do was quickly make sure they fit. And, hopefully never have to use them.

Sponsored

sk05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UX250H, Evo IX MR
I never thought I'd see the day but if you're going up to Big Bear...

Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. 1677181048165

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I never thought I'd see the day but if you're going up to Big Bear...

1677181048165.png
Tahoe is the same. Caltrans is not trained or equipped (or motivated?) to stay in front of 24 hours of snow …
Rivian R1T R1S Snow socks for the 20s. 1677189023530

sk05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UX250H, Evo IX MR
Anyone in SoCal have any snow socks for the 20" AT they'd be willing to rent or lend? I'm heading up to Mammoth this weekend and would like to carry them just in case.

sorenson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Jumping in on this - anybody in Norcal (near 95051) willing to lend 20" AT snow socks next weekend just for worst case scenario? Heading up to Tahoe. Looks like manufacturer is sold out of AL69 snow socks for the season.

tmm0f5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Probably a silly question, but with Socks on a 4WD do you place them on the front, back or all 4?
Sponsored