Sponsored

Should I change my configuration to get the power tonneau?

NathanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
I ordered last week R1T and I am expecting to take delivery next week.
My configuration is:
Quad motor, granite, ocean coast with ash wood internal and 22" bright
I got $3000 insentive to upgrade to the quad.

When I saw that rivian start offering the power tonneau for $500 I contacted my guide who told me if I want the power tonneau, I'll need to find another vehicle in store if I want one.

I found two similar configurations
Get a similar config with El cap granite, but with PDM and pay extra for reinforced underbody shield and power tonneau for $500
Get a similar config but with Limestone and not El Cap with the power tonneau for $500

Or I can take delivery of what I ordered and add the power tonneau retrofit sometime in late 2024 (with an uknown cost and install date)

What would you do in my case?
Sponsored

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

I dunno. I picked my R1T up on June 30, 2022. Power Tonneau broke July 3, 2022. It was not working when I traded my R1T in for the R1S in December 2023. So I never really had a working one to be able to tell you if you should do it.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Having a manual tonneau quad myself, I would definitely recommend getting the auto cover instead. The manual isnā€™t bad at all (LOVE how it looks) but it takes 5 minutes to get the bag out, uninstall it, zip the bag up, take everything out of the gear tunnel, then put the bag in.
I would do this every day instead of downgrading to a dual motor though, to be fair.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I have a quad R1T with auto tonneau. Approaching two years old. My cover has always worked well but I use it infrequently. It is very handy. If you plan to use the cover a lot I would go auto. Manual if expecting seldom use.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
For $500 that is a no-brainer for me. Go for the power cover. They replaced mine recently (disabled since taking delivery), zero issues so far.

Sponsored

golden_frog

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
I have both quad motor and powered tonneau. If I had to choose one, I guess it would be the quad motor. But the powered tonneau provides a hell of a lot more value for $500 than quad motor does for $8000

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

gvtucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

To each their own. When I ordered initially, I got the manual cover instead of the powered, because that always seemed to be the sort of thing that would break. And for many, it sounds like the powered cover does break more often than not.

I don't mind spending the couple of minutes to take off the manual cover. Others do. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on.

WallStand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Congrats on the R1T! Power tonneau key for you? If so, finding a pre-built truck with it might be best. Open to waiting? Retrofit is an option later in 2024, but cost and timing are unknowns. Existing trucks offer the power tonneau with either El Cap features (and extra cost) or your preferred granite color. Go with what matters most to you!

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I have the manual cover, use it ~weekly.
If I had the choice, I'd take a (high-functioning, not prone to breaking) power cover ONLY because it stores itself. I hate having to find somewhere to put the cover when I have a big load. The gear tunnel works but I keep a fair bit of stuff in there regularly so it's a challenge.

GeekDoc

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Physician
I have PDM max and the manual tonneau. I mostly keep the cover on and donā€™t mind the 4 minutes to remove it and put in the gear tunnel.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Really up to you on whatā€™s more important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice. There is one share of ā€œnewā€ and improved powered cover failure. We donā€™t know cause unfortunately. But with added complexity, it is and will always be additional failure points at some point. Trade convenience for that or vice versa? Iā€™m on the fence, but leaning slightly towards keeping the manual cover. If Rivianā€™s Service was more robust, with wait times of a couple weeks, Iā€™d be less conservative. Where you keep your truck most of the time likely matters too. If outside and frequently exposed to debris, risk of failure is probably higher. It doesnā€™t look like they added a second motor, but adjusted tolerances and spring tension.
Sponsored